Chrysler scantools

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
MichNeon
2GN Member

Chrysler scantools

Post by MichNeon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:21 pm

For those who do not know, there are two scantools that can be used on the Neons of both gens.
The first one, the DRB3, is used on the first gens
Here is a pic of the DRB3~http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47055287 ... =1&pid=1.7
The second one is the current scantool for Chrysler, the Witech. It is basically a laptop based scantool. It has a DRB3 emulator in it, you might see that used, if the DRB3 is not available for some reason.
Last edited by MichNeon on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 am

the drb is actually used on both generation of the neon. the starscan isn't used on most cars until MY2006
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Stdly, you're right about the fact that the Starscan is not used on the Neons, i stand corrected. I was under the impression that it could be used on them. I just tried the Starscan on mine, it would not connect. I will edit my post to reflect that. Thank you for pointing it out.
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 am

I use a Bluetooth ELM327 device and the Torque app on my Android phone. Works great. Dash Command app will also do data logging. Both let you read codes and reset them.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 pm

The DRB3 will let you flash SKIM and VIN, among other things you won't get from a publicly available tool.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:28 pm

occasional demons wrote:The DRB3 will let you flash SKIM and VIN, among other things you won't get from a publicly available tool.
And just to clarify, I was initially under the impression you could manually flash both of these but I found out that is incorrect. You simply enter the secret 4 digit SKIM code and it will ask if you want to pull the VIN from the car and you say yes. You cannot manually enter the VIN as far as I know. The only reason this matters is because I thought you could basically use any neon as a host to flash a PCM for any other neon. Not correct though as it won't match the SKIM code stored in the host cars SKIM module. And of course none of this is useful unless you have access to a DRB3 :lol:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:And of course none of this is useful unless you have access to a DRB3 :lol:
QFT!
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:
occasional demons wrote:The DRB3 will let you flash SKIM and VIN, among other things you won't get from a publicly available tool.
And just to clarify, I was initially under the impression you could manually flash both of these but I found out that is incorrect. You simply enter the secret 4 digit SKIM code and it will ask if you want to pull the VIN from the car and you say yes. You cannot manually enter the VIN as far as I know. The only reason this matters is because I thought you could basically use any neon as a host to flash a PCM for any other neon. Not correct though as it won't match the SKIM code stored in the host cars SKIM module. And of course none of this is useful unless you have access to a DRB3 :lol:
Well, the vin can be manually entered, i just did that on a 2007 Caravan SKREEM yesterday. It might be that certain cars you can, and others, you can't. Another thing, the pin code is stored in the pcm, too. When a SKIM/SKREEM/WCM has to be replaced by itself, the pin code is entered to access the module to be able to program it. I'm going to be doing a PT Cruiser later today or tomorrow, i have to replace the column and the SKIM. I will be seeing how the procedure goes with it, as the service info on the Caravan said that the Starscan is supposed to be used. The Starscan would not connect, i wound up doing the programming with the DRB3. :roll:
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

I can see the benefits of having the DRB3 and such, but how much are they and how often would I be needing SKIM and VIN info?

For most of what I need, the Bluetooth device is about the best $15 I ever spent...

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 pm

neonrog wrote:I can see the benefits of having the DRB3 and such, but how much are they and how often would I be needing SKIM and VIN info?

For most of what I need, the Bluetooth device is about the best $15 I ever spent...
it's a proprietary Chrysler special tool and they haven't been made for years. You can find them pop up on ebay. Usually upwards of $2000 though...

If you had any intention of ever reprogramming a new PCM for your car you would need one. If the $15 blue tooth device does all you need, you are not the correct person that needs a DRB3. It will do far more than just show you trouble codes. It's a specialized in depth troubleshooting, scanner, update device to put it lightly.

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 pm

HAving the codes available and being able to reset them is enough for me. And data logging. But working as an electronic engineering tech, I always want the cooler toys for troubleshooting. Still, I agree, the DRB3 is probably more than I need and I'm too cheap to get one. Hmm, wonder if anyone in the Utah area has one...

The Bluetooth unit and the right app works as well as most fo the parts stores corded scanners. But the wireless is pretty darned convenient.

stdlystdmufn
2GN Member

Post by stdlystdmufn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:26 pm

its pointless unless you are trying to diagnose specific problems
in the middle of a DOHC and MTX swap and going with an ASP kit pwered by the S259 batmowheel

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:03 am

Bringing this back from the dead because I was looking for something and this popped up. I read through it and realized I now know a few things in here are incorrect and wanted to clarify.

I initially believed this to be true as well, but have since found there are quite a few aftermarket tools that will write VINs and even a few that will use the SKIM pin (supposedly). Most of the tools are still priced over the $1000 mark so not great unless you own a shop. A few of the high end Snap On scanners will do it for instance.

sidepipe87 wrote:

I have proven myself incorrect on this many months back and have been doing it ever since. There is another procedure that will allow you to manually write a VIN but your SKIM pin will not be stored so if you pull codes from the PCM you will see a soft p0633 skim mismatch code which will not illuminate the check engine light. Car will still start and run if done correctly.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

bigbird
2GN Member

Post by bigbird » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:48 am

Sounds like the DRB3 is worth more than most Neons are now.
Everytime it dings someone in your county does a ricer flyby.

Neons are just smart like that... heydockyle

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:45 pm

worth more than quite a few of them anyway. I paid $1500 for mine with cable and the SuperCard

fargo59
2GN Member

Post by fargo59 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 pm

DRB3's are still widely used tools in dealerships. aside from code reading, and diagnostics, they also have built in lab scope functions, and data logging. even some generic scan tool functions.

the last vehicles to use the DRB for communications was the 2007 caravan/town&country but its still very necessary.

witech has finally given us a DRB emulator feature, but even that pales in comparison.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Bringing this back from the dead because I was looking for something and this popped up. I read through it and realized I now know a few things in here are incorrect and wanted to clarify.

I initially believed this to be true as well, but have since found there are quite a few aftermarket tools that will write VINs and even a few that will use the SKIM pin (supposedly). Most of the tools are still priced over the $1000 mark so not great unless you own a shop. A few of the high end Snap On scanners will do it for instance.

sidepipe87 wrote:

I have proven myself incorrect on this many months back and have been doing it ever since. There is another procedure that will allow you to manually write a VIN but your SKIM pin will not be stored so if you pull codes from the PCM you will see a soft p0633 skim mismatch code which will not illuminate the check engine light. Car will still start and run if done correctly.

At the time i wrote the first post, the aftermarket scantools that can program and flash vins and computer modules were still very expensive. It was, and still is mostly the top of the line scantools that have the capabilities, but the features are starting to filter down to the mid priced ones. Seriously, i don't think that those capabilities should be available to the general public, as it would be too easy to brick modules. The DRB3 is worth the kind of money that is being asked for on Ebay, as it has all the functionalities, and still a cheaper option to the aftermarket scantools with the same level of features.
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:38 am

As far as the neon is concerned I don't think those tools will do much to brick a PCM since it's a pretty dumb car and doesn't have a lot of modules. Most will only do either VIN write or the SKIM pin method. If either of those is done incorrectly it can be corrected and no harm was done.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes, i agree. But, there are people out there who think that they can download and install a tune, and will proceed to brick the pcm. There can be many flashes available for the same car. It's the equipment the car is built with that makes the difference. I'm reminded of that everytime i see a tsb for a flash update.
I'd rather say, if you're going to try to flash a module, triple check the info and be sure that the flash is right for that module before even trying to do it, than to say yea, go ahead, and get grief over it when the flash goes wrong and bricks a module.
Many of the modules are pretty expensive, best to err on the side of caution.
2004 R/T, DD
30 year Chrysler Tech.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”