Score of the week

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Ramroid
2GN Member

Score of the week

Post by Ramroid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 am

Cree 4 LED flood light, Amber colored. x2...FOR FREE.

These are going to replace my foglights, and they are sexy.

Image :D

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:21 am

Free? How did you manage that? :scratch:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Free? How did you manage that? :scratch:
They were on a truck my dad bought and looks out of place, so he gave them to me. They're bright as all get out, now just getting them to mount where i want them is the issue

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I lied, they aren't Cree. dad was misinformed as usual, they're Grote.

http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=76793

Now i have a problem, well more of an annoyance. They aren't as bright as they were on my dedicated PSU. I had them hooked up to an old computer PSU as a power tester, and they were super bright. Now they're hooked into my car via a relay harness, and they're not as bright as i want. Is there a way to get LED's to be brighter? Maybe get a dedicated Voltage to VDC converter? Anyone have any suggestions.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Have you checked to voltage they are currently getting, vs the voltage they were at using the PSU?

Being they are good for 11 to 30 VDC, it shouldn't really matter, they can probably adjust internally.

Did you test with the PSU outdoors in the same conditions, or indoors? Lights always seem brighter indoors, due to the close proximity, and the walls give the light something to reflect off of.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 pm

occasional demons wrote:Have you checked to voltage they are currently getting, vs the voltage they were at using the PSU?

Being they are good for 11 to 30 VDC, it shouldn't really matter, they can probably adjust internally.

Did you test with the PSU outdoors in the same conditions, or indoors? Lights always seem brighter indoors, due to the close proximity, and the walls give the light something to reflect off of.
Tested with the PSU outside in the same conditions. I tested it both at 12v and 5.5v. The 12v showed the same amount as light as it does on the car, however the 5.5v lit up the world. I'm kind of at a loss on this.

The PSU pushes 5.5v at .3a minimum, 20a max. 12v at 1a min, 20a max. So assuming minimum output on both the 12v and 5.5v rails, the 5.5v is pushing 1.65w. The 12v is pushing 12w.

The thing is, it's running better on the 5.5v rail than the 12v when attached to the PSU. So i MAY be able to attach an inline resistor and lower the voltage maybe? Its confusing me pretty bad, im no electrical engineer by any means, but i do remember ohms law and how to figure the wattage of bulbs given the amps/voltage

They are hooked up via a relay harness the same way HID's are. Signal from the foglight harness triggers the relay and draws power directly from the battery. Assuming the 35 watt foglights were actually in the car, its a 2.9 amp draw to each foglight. Maybe i have too much wattage going to the LED's and they're dimmed..which makes no sense.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”