power steering elimination

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
atzottola
2GN Member

power steering elimination

Post by atzottola » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:19 am

Hi I have a 2003 Neon that I want to eliminate the power steering to free up a few extra ponies and lose weight. This will be a 1/2 mile paved oval race car only. After I take the pump off, I want to join the hoses together at the rack to keep dirt out of the system. Would I have to put as much oil as I could in the system hoses or drain as much out? Not sure if the oil would lock the system or not.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:17 am

Just leave the oil in the lines by not moving the steering wheel after the pump is removed. You can loop the lines underneath near the steering gear, if you cut the pressure line before the rubber hose part. Use a tubing cutter.

The oil in the lines will circulate as you steer, keeping the rack lubricated.

If you want to sell the PS pump cheap, let me know. Just leave the pressure hose end in the pump. There is a small o ring backer that can/will fall out. It is not sold separately. Pump is worthless without it.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

atzottola
2GN Member

Post by atzottola » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 am

That's kinda what I thought. Got the car for cheap and they already took the pump off.
I have one on a 98 Stratus (if it's the same), The car has been sitting for 5 years (only has 68k on it). I'd give it to you if you wanted to come to Pittsburgh and take it off. It's just going to the scrap yard.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Not the same, thanks for the offer tho. :thumbup:

If that engine in the stratus is a 2.4, and not blown, you could get an easy $400 picked up for it, and scrap the rest of the car. SawZall the front end off, and drag it out. I'm sure most won't mind if the transaxle is still atached.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

atzottola
2GN Member

Post by atzottola » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 pm

actually bought it because it was supposed to be a 2.4. I was going to swap it in the Neon. Had a towing co pick it up and bring it to my shop. Surprise! It had a 2.5 V6. Threw that $400 away. I want to watch that one get smashed at the crusher.. Lesson learned. Don't trust people.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm

That sucks. But most new car salespeople don't know the differences in what they are selling, so I guess you can't rely on private sellers either. I have made it a habit to get/check the VIN on cars with multiple engine options. Especially if you are looking at Intrepids or Concordes.

Live. Learn. Move on. At least if you shop around, you might get a good percentage of your money back. My GF's father just got $400 for his totally shot '96 Caravan from a scrap deaer. A Stratus likely weighs less, but might fetch at least $300.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

atzottola
2GN Member

Post by atzottola » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:31 am

Oil was pumped out before I got it. I'll try and get some oil in the rack before I loop it closed.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”