clutch slipping in low gears?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
ChetNubbler
n00b

clutch slipping in low gears?

Post by ChetNubbler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 pm

hey all, So i think my clutch is slipping in 1st and 2nd gears. I installed a new clutch from AA about 2k miles ago and i still smell what i believe to be clutch occasionaly. now, before everyone jumps to me being a bad manual driver, i have driven with several friends who are pretty big car freaks and one is also a mechanic and all said i drive my car fine and dont ride the clutch. so, when i accelerate from a stop, and im completely off the clutch, im not accelerating as fast as i think i should be. it doesnt feel like its grabbing. after a while i start to smell it. i also dont mean to sound like in trying to race it off the line or anything. i just want to go. i feel like i baby my clutch now that its replaced. when i use it, my foot is always in, out, then on the dead pedal.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm

How much free play is at the pedal when it is released?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:34 pm

not sure what you mean by free play, sorry. i think the hydrolic pushes the pedal all the way to the top if thats what you mean.

LLcoolJames
n00b

Post by LLcoolJames » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:23 am

Free play is the amount of pedal travel that exists before the pedal has any effect on the clutch at all. You should have some, but not to much. No free play at all can cause problems. Ive seen improper adjustment (lack of pedal freeplay) wear out clutches very fast a few times now.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:59 am

Exactly, you should be able to wiggle the pedal a little at the top. If it is tight, the clutch might need some adjustment. I have noticed different brands seem to affect pedal height.

I actually have washers as shims on my slave cylinder to get it in a better window of adjustment. The Spec I had, and the Banhoff seem to be off on the pressure plate finger placement.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Sorry for the long delay in my reply. its been a very busy week for me. so, i definitely felt the clutch grab and slip twice quickly while accelerating in 1st gear from a complete stop. and i was cretain that my foot was completely off the clutch when it happened. :( not sure what to do from here. also, as far as freeplay goes, there is a little wiggle at the top of the pedal. but i also dont know what normal should be.

Return to “General 2nd Gen Discussion”