List of RTV sealants and their applications

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Danteneon
Former Moderator

List of RTV sealants and their applications

Post by Danteneon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 am

This is a topic copied out of the Chrysler FSM addressing the different types of RTV sealants and their proper applications.
FORM-IN-PLACE GASKETS AND SEALERS
There are numerous places where form-in-place gaskets are used on the engine. Care must be taken when applying form-in-place gaskets to assure obtaining the desired results. Do not use form-in-place gasket material unless specified. Bead size, continuity, and location are of great importance. Too thin a bead can result in leakage while too much can result in spill-over which can break off and obstruct fluid feed lines. A continuous bead of the proper width is essential to obtain a leak-free gasket.

There are numerous types of form-in-place gasket materials that are used in the engine area. Mopar® Engine RTV GEN II, Mopar® ATF-RTV, and Mopar® Gasket Maker gasket materials, each have different properties and can not be used in place of the other.

MOPAR® ENGINE RTV GEN II is used to seal components exposed to engine oil. This material is a specially designed black silicone rubber RTV that retains adhesion and sealing properties when exposed to engine oil. Moisture in the air causes the material to cure. This material is available in three ounce tubes and has a shelf life of one year. After one year this material will not properly cure. Always inspect the package for the expiration date before use.

MOPAR® ATF RTV is a specifically designed black silicone rubber RTV that retains adhesion and sealing properties to seal components exposed to automatic transmission fluid, engine coolants, and moisture. This material is available in three ounce tubes and has a shelf life of one year. After one year this material will not properly cure. Always inspect the package for the expiration date before use.

MOPAR® GASKET MAKER is an anaerobic type gasket material. The material cures in the absence of air when squeezed between two metallic surfaces. It will not cure if left in the uncovered tube. The anaerobic material is for use between two machined surfaces. Do not use on flexible metal flanges.

MOPAR® BED PLATE SEALANT is a unique (green-in-color) anaerobic type gasket material that is specially made to seal the area between the bed plate and cylinder block without disturbing the bearing clearance or alignment of these components. The material cures slowly in the absence of air when torqued between two metallic surfaces, and will rapidly cure when heat is applied.

MOPAR® GASKET SEALANT is a slow drying, permanently soft sealer. This material is recommended for sealing threaded fittings and gaskets against leakage of oil and coolant. Can be used on threaded and machined parts under all temperatures. This material also will prevent corrosion. Mopar® Gasket Sealant is available in a 13 oz. aerosol can or 4oz./16 oz. can w/applicator.

SEALER APPLICATION
Mopar® Gasket Maker material should be applied sparingly 1 mm (0.040 in.) diameter or less of sealant to one gasket surface. Be certain the material surrounds each mounting hole. Excess material can easily be wiped off. Components should be torqued in place within 15 minutes. The use of a locating dowel is recommended during assembly to prevent smearing material off the location.

Mopar® Engine RTV GEN II or ATF RTV gasket material should be applied in a continuous bead approximately 3 mm (0.120 in.) in diameter. All mounting holes must be circled. For corner sealing, a 3.17 or 6.35 mm (1/8 or 1/4 in.) drop is placed in the center of the gasket contact area. Uncured sealant may be removed with a shop towel. Components should be torqued in place while the sealant is still wet to the touch (within 10 minutes). The usage of a locating dowel is recommended during assembly to prevent smearing material off the location.

Mopar® Gasket Sealant in an aerosol can should be applied using a thin, even coat sprayed completely over both surfaces to be joined, and both sides of a gasket. Then proceed with assembly. Material in a can w/applicator can be brushed on evenly over the sealing surfaces.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:42 am

:thumbup:

A sticky for sticky stuff!

Sorry, couldn't resist... :beatstick:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:55 am

:rofl: That's pretty good :lol:

timk225
2GN Member

Post by timk225 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:02 am

What abut for head gaskets? Is there any sealer we are supposed to spray on head gaskets, or do we just install them on clean dry surfaces as is?

Does Fel-Pro make a good SOHC head gasket?

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Pretty badass... never saw this list before! :rockon:

As for the HG, I've used the Mopar spray sealant on the Mopar MLS gaskets as the service manual says to do so. As far as a Fel-Pro gasket, I don't believe there's any issues with them for the sohc. That said, I've never used one.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm

Glad you like :D

And like Ryan said, the spray gasket sealant should be used. If you don't have the Mopar stuff, Hi-Tack works just fine.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 am

Going to be doing the valve cover gasket. Need Mopar Engine RTV Gen II for cam cap corners. Is there an equivalent RTV I could use that would work and be cheaper?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 am

I just used regular RTV without issue. Since it isn't on an IM, I don't think it needs to be sensor safe.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:53 am

What color would you prefer? Just black?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 pm

I don't recall what color I used. I think it was the reddish color.

As long as it is rated for the heat and oil, it will work. (About covers most RTV sealants)

Probably the Ultra, in whatever color you prefer.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: List of RTV sealants and their applications

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm

Haha came back to this thread to check the equivalent of Mopar engine gen 2 rtv. Doing oil pan gasket and have to put that stuff in two corners. Have ultra black rtv

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Re: List of RTV sealants and their applications

Post by 04rebel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm
Haha came back to this thread to check the equivalent of Mopar engine gen 2 rtv. Doing oil pan gasket and have to put that stuff in two corners. Have ultra black rtv
When I replaced the cast pan on our 2.0, which uses a metal center "sandwich" (thin rubber) gasket. I applied a THIN coat to both sides of the gasket with the same ultra black RTV. NO leaks at all from there yet, the original pan had been "seeping" at the flange mating for some time, but not bad enough for any drips or puddles. In my haste to get the cracked pan replaced I forgot to order a new gasket with the pan from rockauto.
You should be FINE with the RTV you have.

Return to “Engine”