Solved: Engine won't maintain a rev

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Dennis Blewett
2GN Member

Solved: Engine won't maintain a rev

Post by Dennis Blewett » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 am

I recently changed the valve cover gasket, valve cover, oil, and oil filter in a 2000 Dodge Neon. Someone else was helping me work with it, and the air filter box and wiring was not hooked up prior to starting the engine. As such, the engine sounded like it was knocking, but the person I was working with said it was backfire. Eventually, all of the components were hooked up again, and the vehicle was able to start. It didn't sound like it was using a fair amount of RPMs; but it was humming. However, the engine light came on.

About four days have passed, and I've started the vehicle this morning. It revs up a little bit, and then it shuts down. The oil light and engine light were showing, and then the oil light went off while the engine light stayed on. Afterward, the engine light started blinking.

Ideas what this could be?

codes:
p1684
p0352
p0351
p1299

solved:

I made sure the air intake box and curved hose going to it was firmly in place. From there, I revved up the engine with the accelerator. It seems to be working fine now.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:36 pm

P1299 could be the tube from the intake manifold to the throttle body was/is loose. Major vacuum leak, or bad TPS/MAP sensor output signals.

The other two are the ign coil circuits. The coil connector could be loose. If the car shuts off unexpectedly, that would be the first place I would look. (I would just make sure it was tight before that happens.)

P1684 is for the battery being disconnected, in the last 50 starts, whether or not it was actually disconnected. It may always be there when checking for codes. Basically an ignore it if, it don't apply code.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”