2.0L VIN C Vs F

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
Vod_Kanakas
n00b

2.0L VIN C Vs F

Post by Vod_Kanakas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:51 am

What is the differenct in performance and what makes the difference? Also is it a direct swap?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 am

Difference is the PCM, intake manifold, MTX final drive ratio, tubular exhaust header vs cast iron manifold, cylinder head exhaust ports, and camshaft.

Compression ratio on '03 and '04.

It is a direct swap, if you keep to '00 to '02, or '03 to '05 respectively. Otherwise you will need to swap the entire wiring for the cars, or do some splicing. Putting an older powertrain control module into a newer car is possible, but not smog legal.

It is a lot of effort for 18 hp at the flywheel. And even then unless you swap to the 3.94 MTX, it will still be slower than an R/T.

In all, you can get almost as much by doing all of it but the PCM. and still be legal.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Vod_Kanakas
n00b

Post by Vod_Kanakas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 pm

So its not worth it then... well guess its to bolt ons. Any recomendations?

Vod_Kanakas
n00b

Post by Vod_Kanakas » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Wait let me make sure I understand that correctly. If I swap the r/t engine mtx and pcm it will work just fine with the C wiring?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Yes. As long as you either use the SBEC in a 2000 to 2002 car, and NGC in a 2003 to 2005.

I am only using the Magnum PCM, because it works for w/e reason without any SKIM problems. If I would have to spend $100 to make it function, I would say it wouldn't be worth the difference. See below for other options.

But also be aware, most '01/'02 R/T PCM's are SKIM equipped, so you wil need that disabled, or the PCM flashed to your car. If your car is 2003 newer, you have no choice, as all NGC are SKIM equipped.

IMHO, for the $ spent to get the PCM flashed, other than Sidepipe87 or Syked tuning, You may want to have Syked tuning put a Magnum/better tune in your existing MTX PCM, Or ATX if so equipped.

The head and a 400 Comp Camps/ZEX will make a very noticeable improvement, the IM and header will compliment it nicely. There are threads in the How To section to make the MTV valve operate without the Magnum PCM.

You really need a header for the Magnum head, as the ports are bigger. The cast exhaust manifold will become a major restriction. More so than it being on a regular head, as there will be a step around the outer diameter for the gasses to impact.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Engine”