no spark

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons… just anything that is generally "engine" specific. This also includes questions about exhaust systems such as exhaust manifolds, piping size, mufflers, ect...
sleeper2gn
2GN Member

no spark

Post by sleeper2gn » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey guys, I have a 2000 SE MTX that I'm currently working on. I just did a head gasket job on it (my first one ever, so I'm nervous) I got it all back together and am now dealing with a car that isn't getting spark. I'm afraid it may be the coil pack. The first terminal puts out 5 volts when ignition is on and during cranking.
Here's what I've done:

Spark test (pulled spark plug and grounded it to look for spark) No spark

New plugs and spark test: still nothing

I'd like to do some form of bench test on it, but I can't find any vehicle specific how-to's. I'm kinda nervous, I love this car and don't want to screw it up.
2000 Dodge Neon ES. (Brnin8r)
1995 Plymouth Neon LX (sent to grave)
2001 Plymouth Neon (organ donor)
"Hondas are so reliable!"
"why is it that you've killed three Hondas in the time that I've owned one dodge?"

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #143

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 pm

The connector that is on the coil: Is the center wire dark green/orange?

If it is not, pull the connector from the cam position sensor and put it on the coil where it belongs.

Hopefully that is all it is. Those two connectors are very similar, and easily mixed up.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

LLcoolJames
n00b

Post by LLcoolJames » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:09 pm

occasional demons wrote:The connector that is on the coil: Is the center wire dark green/orange?

If it is not, pull the connector from the cam position sensor and put it on the coil where it belongs.

Hopefully that is all it is. Those two connectors are very similar, and easily mixed up.
Ive done this, very easy to do.

sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Post by sleeper2gn » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 am

well I hope so. I'll give it a shot tonight when I get home. that mix up wouldn't harm the camshaft position sensor would it?
"why is it that you've killed three Hondas in the time that I've owned one dodge?"

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 pm

Most times, no.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Post by sleeper2gn » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:24 pm

alright, update:
I did indeed have the plugs switched. however, I'm still having the same issue. no spark. is there anything else that it could be? could it possibly be an ignition fuse or relay of some sort? I'm also going to try swapping in a different ignition coil or two from my stock (yeah I have a "stock" of neon parts... lol)

sleeper2gn
2GN Member

Post by sleeper2gn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:02 pm

update:
still deader than a door-nail. tried a different coil, the chances of two coils being dead are probably slim. so my next question is where the hell do I go now? I threw the OBDII scanner on it as a last ditch effort... nothing but the ECT code (P0118) that it's had for forever...

LLcoolJames
n00b

Post by LLcoolJames » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Do you have injector pulse? If not id be suspect of the cam sensor. Not saying you did this, but The first time I did a headgasket on one of my neons I sent the head to the machine shop with the cam sensor still attached. It got hot tanked and the sensor would intermittantly cause I no spark condition until I replaced it a few weeks later.

If you do,

1. Unplug the coil pack connector.
2. Connect a test light between B+ and each of the coil driver wires, one at a time. These are the two outer terminals at the coil pack connector.
3. Crank the engine and the test light should flash on both coil drivers. If either of the coil drivers light up and the test light is steady, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) coil driver is shorted to ground.
4. Replace both the coil pack and the PCM.
5. If there is no light, the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor and Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor signals should be checked.

Return to “Engine”