CV axle has light rust on axle stub, what should I do?

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Arro
2GN Member

CV axle has light rust on axle stub, what should I do?

Post by Arro » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:01 pm

I left a CV axle outside but under the patio cover, but it got a thin layer of rust on it. It's the topmost one in this picture:

Can if be reconditioned? Also the hub end:

Can I wet sand it and if so with what grit? Or do I need to have an axle shop clean it up?
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:52 pm

I would wire brush the hub end, and coat it with antiseize. The differential end, I would get some wet sand paper, 800 grit should be fine, and use light oil instead of water to polish it. A wire brush on the splines to clean as much rust off. Use brake clean to flush the rust/oil off. Then lightly oil it once done.

There may be some light pitting where the seal rides, but it probably isn't going to be an issue.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Drivetrain”