2.0 head to 2.4 manifold adapter plate specifications

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
Danteneon
Former Moderator

2.0 head to 2.4 manifold adapter plate specifications

Post by Danteneon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:23 pm

I received a manifold adapter some time back and, and some folks had expressed an interest in making some of these themselves since they are so hard to come by. This information is being provided for just that purpose. I have this thread listed as 2.0 to 2.4 because this info will work for 2.4 NA as well as the SRT turbofold and the Mexican 2.4 turbo manifold.

There are some important points to note first. The specs I am going to give are for a one piece adapter. Most people are familiar with Mattdog's adapters which is a two piece. There is a reason he made his a two piece. If you want to make a one piece adapter, you will have to modify the two lower outer bolt holes in the manifold because the 2.0 head mounting bolt and the 2.4 manifold bolt want to share the same area. Here is a pic...

The manifold on the SRT is slotted on one side already iirc, but the other side would have to be done as well. Something along these lines...

Another thing to remember is that this adapter is made off a non magnum head. As such, the only difference will be the 2.0 exhaust port sizes. I will be changing this one to the magnum size at some point, so I will add the dimensions to this post when I finally do it.

Lastly, I would also highly recommend anyone doing one of these get their hands on both the 2.0 gasket (magnum or non depending) and the 2.4 gasket. It will provide a good template to work with. Also, I tried to get these measurements as accurate as possible. This is a hand made part, and some of the bolt holes are not perfect. The pics will probably show that.

If anyone has questions or needs clarification on any measurements, let me know.

Overall Dimensions

Hight...3"

Lenght...15 1/8"

Thickness...1"

All remaining sizes are in Millimeters

Exhaust port diameter 2.0 side (non-magnum)...30mm

Exhaust port diameter 2.4 side 51mm x 26mm (this is rough since the ports are actually oval with a bump at the top on SRT manifolds)

2.0 side specs

2.4 side specs

Detailed pictures of the adapter with gaskets overlaid

2.0 side

2.4 side

Have fun :thumbup:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:53 am

:thumbup:
Definatley valuable info for thos wanting to turbo there sohc

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:19 am

I'll try and make an AutoCAD Inventor drawing of this if I get time.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

blue demon02
2GN Member

Post by blue demon02 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:30 am

If someone can find a place to make these let me know. this adapter is actualy the same type of adapter needed to take stock neon TB's and use them to make an ITB manifold. I.E round to oval transitions. I have asked several places to make this exact thing and none are willing to do a one off peice. And yes you can make a set that will fit under the stock hood.

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 pm

awesome info for the peeps, Dante. sticky this!
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:04 pm

If only I had access to a CNC mill. I would make these all day long.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:05 pm

We be stickied :thumbup:

I agree Frank. If someone had access to the right machine this wouldn't be hard to do at all. Might take one or two to iron out all the details, but after that it's gravy time! :D

SOHCKing03
2GN Member

Post by SOHCKing03 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 am

We have a machine at school that machines out parts designed in CATIA. It is a fairly small machine but if this will fit I may be able to make some. I will need to download CATIA at home (very hard if I don't buy the $5000 program) and try this out. I may be able to use AutoCAD but I don't know if the machine reads it since all I learned about was CATIA.

Gimme a couple weeks and I will let everyone know.

John, expect a PM sometime this week lol.

-Brad

EDIT: One more dimension that would help is the length from the holes to the outside of the adapter.
JDM Neon Crew Member #1

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 am

Good deal man :thumbup: I can't wait to see what folks come up with!

As far as the dimensions you asked for...on the 2.4 side of the adapter, the upper bolts to the edge (measured from center of the hole to the end of the adapter) is 15mm. The lower holes are 7mm.

On the 2.0 side, the lower is 15mm (no upper to measure).

And those measurements can vary depending on how long you make the adapter of course.

SOHCKing03
2GN Member

Post by SOHCKing03 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

Danteneon wrote: And those measurements can vary depending on how long you make the adapter of course.
True, so I guess those measurements don't matter as much.

I am supposed to be getting my laptop tonight (which pushed back my rim purchase) and sometime this week I have to go up to school to get all my engineering software loaded. So if I get ahold of some CAD programs (which I believe I do) then I will try something out in the next two weeks.

-Brad
JDM Neon Crew Member #1

GrApHite03
2GN Member

Post by GrApHite03 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:29 pm

so have any of you checked with Matt to see if he has any copywrites, patents, or claims to indutrial properties?

Even if the the patent is pending this thread, website and poster is all against the law. I hope the OP contacted matt to clear up these questions before posting.
2001 SOHC - Family Car
1998 SOHC - AutoX / Work Car - 11:1 Mag swap | Crane #14 | Everything else... :)

-----------
Gone, but not forgotten...

03 SXT-T / 219whp - 244wtq / 10psi - Stock Block & NGC ECU

SOHCKing03
2GN Member

Post by SOHCKing03 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm

IIRC this is not a Mattdog adapter. Mattdog adapters have two parts connected. The above problem of the manifold not fitting is because 1) it's not an SRT manifold for which the Mattdog was designed for and 2) it isn't a Mattdog adapter.

The 2.0 and 2.4 bolt locations conflict which is why the Mattdog is in two pieces. This manifold is different though. It is from Casper IIRC and I'm not sure if he posted who made it.

So therefore, no infringements are being made considering this is NOT a Mattdog adapter and the adapter being discussed (as far as we know) is not patented.

-Brad
JDM Neon Crew Member #1

GrApHite03
2GN Member

Post by GrApHite03 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:47 am

SOHCKing03 wrote:IIRC this is not a Mattdog adapter. Mattdog adapters have two parts connected. The above problem of the manifold not fitting is because 1) it's not an SRT manifold for which the Mattdog was designed for and 2) it isn't a Mattdog adapter.

The 2.0 and 2.4 bolt locations conflict which is why the Mattdog is in two pieces. This manifold is different though. It is from Casper IIRC and I'm not sure if he posted who made it.

So therefore, no infringements are being made considering this is NOT a Mattdog adapter and the adapter being discussed (as far as we know) is not patented.

-Brad
point taken, i was mistaken... i apologize. i got defensive since Matt is a good friend of mine. Also i never knew people still used that first design due to all the leaking issues. Unless that is a revised version.
2001 SOHC - Family Car
1998 SOHC - AutoX / Work Car - 11:1 Mag swap | Crane #14 | Everything else... :)

-----------

SOHCKing03
2GN Member

Post by SOHCKing03 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:05 pm

As far as I know, the leaking issue had to do with the gaskets and not the actual design of the adapter. I know there are plenty of people on here running turbos with Matt's adapter and it has been shown to be a high quality product.

And no offense taken here, I didn't even take your post as being defensive. I just wanted to clear up the confusion before other people questioned why the Mattdog adapter didn't work with the manifold. And that is because it isn't a Mattdog adapter and it isn't an SRT turbofold (it's the mexican Stratus one).

-Brad
JDM Neon Crew Member #1

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:31 pm

Sorry for the lack of posting...just got the internet hooked up at the new house :rockon:

Brad answered the concerns perfectly. I wouldn't think of putting Matt's creation up for all the world to copy. He has a lot of time, effort, etc. in the design and manufacture of his adapters. I wouldn't undermine his design like that.

This adapter has been around a while as far as I can tell. No one is sure (at least as far as I know) who made this originally. But since the popular adapter is Matt's I wanted to show what the advantages/shortcomings of this design would be.

The fact that you are looking out for your friend's interests is a good thing though :thumbup: Now, if you could get him to start making his adapter again.... :D

GrApHite03
2GN Member

Post by GrApHite03 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Danteneon wrote:Sorry for the lack of posting...just got the internet hooked up at the new house :rockon:

Brad answered the concerns perfectly. I wouldn't think of putting Matt's creation up for all the world to copy. He has a lot of time, effort, etc. in the design and manufacture of his adapters. I wouldn't undermine his design like that.

This adapter has been around a while as far as I can tell. No one is sure (at least as far as I know) who made this originally. But since the popular adapter is Matt's I wanted to show what the advantages/shortcomings of this design would be.

The fact that you are looking out for your friend's interests is a good thing though :thumbup: Now, if you could get him to start making his adapter again.... :D
I think he just posted on the org about doing a run this summer...
MattDog wrote:Sorry for all the late replies. I just sorted through my pm box...

I talked to my brother in law who machines them the other day. Our plan is to build them after his honeymoon (early august). I'll be creating a new thread with a signup list soon. I will be asking people to put a down payment on them so that I can plan for sure how many will be built. I also need to reevaluate the price based on the current cost of materials and shipping rates.
2001 SOHC - Family Car

-----------

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 am

Good to know :thumbup:

SurfrmanX
2GN Member

Post by SurfrmanX » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 am

Hey im interesting in buy one adapter...

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm

I no longer have this one. It was one of the first things in my colection to be sold, sorry.

ram50rocket
2GN Member

Post by ram50rocket » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:13 pm

This has got me thinking about my Ram50 2.0 :-k
89 Ram50 engine swap???
05 SRT-4 deburred
02 ACR, R.I.P. thx 4 nothin Insurance Co.
00 ES traded in 4 ACR
titansxt wrote:I hear the whats it called, Dodge Neon, is a good car.
you could probably go get your "umadbro" polished up to make it look like a new comeback again

Addicted2Boost
2GN Member

Post by Addicted2Boost » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:12 pm

does anyone know where i can get this plate or do i have to print this and take it to a special place? I need one asap

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 pm

This was a custom made plate. As far I know it was a one-off.

Addicted2Boost
2GN Member

Re: 2.0 head to 2.4 manifold adapter plate specifications

Post by Addicted2Boost » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:28 pm

The manifold on the SRT is slotted on one side already iirc, but the other side would have to be done as well. Something along these lines...

can someone please explain to me how to get the bolt into there to get it into the block im going t have one of these made soon

AJC_R/T
n00b

Post by AJC_R/T » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Addicted I believe the bolts are just close to each other to where the the edge of the srt4 manifold has to be slotted to make room for the head of the bolt on the adapter plate or something, and then the bolt head or nut for the turbofold sits on top of the turbofold and screws in through that hole? That's what I'm assuming via the pictures anyways.

So, I'm mocking one of these plates up right now in my AutoCAD program, and there are some missing dimensions that I'm needing and/or wanting, lol..

First off- diameter for all of the holes?
Magnum head exhaust port diameters (read somewhere else that non-magnum ports are 1 1/8" and magnum ports are 1 3/8") but am not positive and don't feel like taking my engine apart just quite yet (I have the magnum head)

Also I notice that on the vertical the port holes are closer to the bottom of the plate than the top, are there dimensions for these?
Maybe I misread some of the comments but I don't think they were mentioned.

Anyways, has anyone else successfully mocked one of these up or will I be the next guinea pig and have to waste a few steel plates until all of the dimensions are correct then upload them?

Really wanting to avoid the wasted material and trial and error time, but if it has to be that way then so be it..

If I get some done I might be able to take orders if anyone would be interested.

Flipmode
Fresh Fish

Post by Flipmode » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 am

For those interested I have made a new adapter plate. We will be doing final fit & function with it then it will be ready for sale.
ImageImage

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Are you only making one, or do you plan to sell them as needed?

Technically, you should have Vendor Status if you plan on offering them en mass.

AFAIK, Vendor Status is still free here, so it isn't like you would be risking anything. You would just need to contact an Administrator.

This is only fair to other vendors here.

Best of luck! :thumbup:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Forced Induction”