Moving on...upgrade?

Pretty much what the title says, all off-topic related posts can be posted here to share with everyone.
ducktapetg
2GN Member

Moving on...upgrade?

Post by ducktapetg » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm

So my neon started acting up this winter due to this extreme cold we had a month back. The power steering line failed and was pissing oil everywhere. Due to the corrosion, I didn't think I would be able to fix it (I did). So I started looking around for a new whip. With all the rust, no clear coat, some weird vibration from the suspension, needing tires, I figured it was time to move on.

So the shopping began.

First, I looked at this 2015 focus ST. Awesome color, shitty dealer, waaaay too noisy of an exhaust.

Next was another focus st and a hyundia elantra sport. Focus st was quick and the steering, OMG is it direct. I didn't like the seats though. Too snug for me. It has the partial leather/cloth ST2 trim level.
Elantra reminded me A LOT of my R/T. It sounded great, wasn't fast but wasn't slow and extremely comfortable. It was also bigger in person too. The car was loaded with everything you could want to less than 20k new. I don't exactly remember how the car drove but, that is exactly it, it wasn't exciting.
Here are some of the cars the Ford dealer has RS and STs

Of course I had to try the GTI. Quick car, refined, quiet on the highway. It also had great handling. Oh yeah, one hell of a mark down too!

I looked at the GTI in the morning but I wanted to compare the Focus ST to it one more time before I decided. I found a used ST3 close by and sat in it. My mind was made up. I was SUPER close to buying the GTI but... the ST has some character, it felt right. The GTI just does what you want with little excitement. With the ST, you floor it and you experience the torque steer and the harshness. I wanted that. I was also somewhat worried about VW reliability. Yeah, I know they are better than they were but the whole dieselgate thing and my sister already needed her warranty twice soo.

So I traded in the neon (which is now on craigslist. Some person will get a great car but, when I was replacing the power steering line, I broke some other things and jerry-rigged it back, and rust). I am sad but also happy to move on. I loved that car and it treated me great. I could not have asked for more from it.

So, next up, my NYG will be for sale this spring/summer and a whole bunch of my neon stuff too. I will still have my 98 r/t and the SRT so I am not done yet. I just need to consolidate. I figure I can get one winter out of the srt and then do the swap next year using the srt. We will see.
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> viewtopic.php?t=66496

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Re: Moving on...upgrade?

Post by theColonel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Congratulations ... Ford Focus ST is definitely an upgrade =D>
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 am

ducktapetg wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm
shitty dealer,
That would describe 99% of the used car only dealers around here. They don't have near the resources the new car dealers have, but want the same money, or more for their crap. Most will only give you their "warranty" if you pay the asking price. Once you begin negotiation, and suddenly the "warranty" is no longer available. :roll:

The used cars at the one's here, are there for a reason...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Dealer I bought this at was great. I told them I wanted to think about it and they didn't pressure me at all. I wasn't quite sure what to do.
Jason

2001 r/t

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I’ve always kind of eyed up focus or fiesta ST’s for a new daily but I drive a lot for my commute to work. I might end up getting a more full size car.

So....how bad is that NYG?

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Look into the elantra, you will be surprised and it is surprisingly big. Plus, 6 speed, 200hp and the sounds haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpkxisIs7Y

NYG is in pretty good shape for the year. Has a little rust on the passenger side rear wheel well but easily fixable to the right person. Weirdly enough, the guy I bought it from messaged me today about it. We will see where it goes. I have put a ton of work into it and a bunch of money I will never get back from it.
Jason

2001 r/t

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:50 am

ducktapetg wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm
Look into the elantra, you will be surprised and it is surprisingly big. Plus, 6 speed, 200hp and the sounds haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpkxisIs7Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFIi_aVzN18
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Return to “Off-Topic”