Rear sway bar bushing clamp bolt removal?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
Nathan9790
2GN Member

Rear sway bar bushing clamp bolt removal?

Post by Nathan9790 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:21 pm

So im about to redo my rear end links as well as my rear sway bar bushings, and looking at the bolts and they are super rusty :banghead: Especially the four that hold the rear sway bar bushing clamp in (these hold the two bushing inward from the rear wheels on the sway bar. I was just wondering what size bolts these are, and if i can get them at any local hardware store. Ive been getting them ready by spraying them with some Liquid wrench perpetrator. Also any other advice while dealing with rusty bolts?

Boyscoutgonebad
2GN Member

Post by Boyscoutgonebad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Keep spraying! You can almost count on one or more breaking off and having to drill and and tap it. If you manage to get them out replace with shorter bolts and use lots of antisieze or stainless steele bolts

if i remember right they are M8 X 1.25 pitch

wrenchdog85
2GN Member

Post by wrenchdog85 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:03 am

acetelyne torches would help, i think i spelled that right, i still had a bolt break off on rear sway after drenching them with pb and heating them lol.

timmyw28
2GN Member

Post by timmyw28 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm

U could also heat it up with a torch and soak it with pb blaster that helps a lot with getting rusted bolts broke loose. And it should smoke when u spray it on their if it don't it not hot enough

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:10 pm

*IF* you have access to power tools.... Try an impact gun and six-point socket.
The idea is that you'll have a great chance of avoiding *twisting off* the head of the bolt, by applying only rotational force, as opposed to using a ratchet, as a lever.

I find that I can often start backing out these rusted bolts - Only to have them break, halfway off, as I continue with the ratchet.... Because using a ratchet puts some 'side force' or side load on the bolt - especially as it starts backing out, and more and more threads get exposed.

I hope my explanation makes sense.....

I agree with Timmy and Boyscout, keep on soaking with PB Blaster or Kroil.

Wrenchdog is right - Oxy-acetylene torches are The Ultimate.... BUT need to be used carefully, to avoid 'collateral damage'.... Like burning up your trunk carpeting, or other stuff.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Nathan9790
2GN Member

Post by Nathan9790 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Got all but one off :banghead: and of course there is more bolt than necessary. Had to acetylene it out and put new bolts in. Stupid Old bolts :(

valleyracer
n00b

Re: Rear sway bar bushing clamp bolt removal?

Post by valleyracer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:33 am

Nathan9790 wrote:So im about to redo my rear end links as well as my rear sway bar bushings, and looking at the bolts and they are super rusty :banghead: Especially the four that hold the rear sway bar bushing clamp in (these hold the two bushing inward from the rear wheels on the sway bar. I was just wondering what size bolts these are, and if i can get them at any local hardware store. Ive been getting them ready by spraying them with some Liquid wrench perpetrator. Also any other advice while dealing with rusty bolts?
Those 4 are called frame bolts. Did you get any install photos?

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”