folding manual side mirrors?

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
bobneon2k
2GN Member

folding manual side mirrors?

Post by bobneon2k » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Is there any chance that there are folding manual side mirrors for these cars?
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

NGCnoproblem
2GN Member

Post by NGCnoproblem » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:32 am

I think some are for sale either here or on neons.org
Sorry for Party Rockin

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43 am

I saw power ones here. I'll check neons.org... thanks
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:34 am

it seems that there is no such thing as folding MANUAL side mirrors on a 2gn neon so my next question is would it be possible to convert a set of power folding side mirrors to manual? i mean connect the little toggle on the manual mirror to the formerly powered mirror. I'm guessing that for the passenger side I could just cut off the wiring and bolt on a folding mirror and it would be fine but the drivers side needs to have the toggle connected to look right. does anyone know if this can this be done?
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

NGCnoproblem
2GN Member

Post by NGCnoproblem » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 am

O I missed that "manual" part lol. Srry
Sorry for Party Rockin

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:55 am

my srt has manual folding side mirrors o.O

I'm sure u can find them.. then again I've never seen them before this srt
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:57 am

As far as I know, all srts have folding side mirrors. They are manual; you
push them in with your hand.. There isn't any toggle switch that controls
them with power or anything but I believe someone on the .org made a
set of power mirrors. I think he said he finished them but I never saw any
pictures or videos posted of said mirrors.
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:40 am

I guess he means "manual mirrors" with folding option and not "manual foldable electric adjusted mirrors".
And only in uk and Australia you can get "electric folding and adjusted mirrors".

So if you only have manual mirrors - get an upgrade from junkyard!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

Lots of confusion in here...

He's talking about:
1) a mirror that folds in...
2) ...by using your hand to push it.
3) but ALSO has the glass adjusted manually by the joystick.

Such a mirror never existed on a 2gn (anywhere to my knowledge) and would not be easy to do. The entire mirror would have to be taken apart and rebuilt... 3 options. 1) cut the plugs off and manually adjust them 2) add the wiring for power mirrors, 3) leave them alone...

I have 4 black SXT doors here with the wiring in them you could buy and convert to power options.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 am

sidepipe87 wrote:Lots of confusion in here...

He's talking about:
1) a mirror that folds in...
2) ...by using your hand to push it.
3) but ALSO has the glass adjusted manually by the joystick.

Such a mirror never existed on a 2gn (anywhere to my knowledge) and would not be easy to do. The entire mirror would have to be taken apart and rebuilt... 3 options. 1) cut the plugs off and manually adjust them 2) add the wiring for power mirrors, 3) leave them alone...
are you sure they never existed? my sert has windows u can fold in by pushing them, but also adjustable with the joy stick. unless I'm completely retarded and still not understanding LOL

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am

THIS joystick (by the mirror)

Not this switch

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:44 am

sidepipe87 wrote:THIS joystick (by the mirror)

Not this switch

Yep, I'm retarded :beatstick:

*runs

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Just adjust em by hand without power, NBD.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:16 pm

A cable/joystick with folding option, either powered or by hand would be tough to do, as you would need some way to take up the slack created in the cable when the mirror is folded out.

You would end up with cable bind issues. Probably why they never bothered. It would have been a warranty nightmare.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:38 am

Okay so this is out... thanks guys for helping me with this one even though I may have confused some of you... sorry about that.

How about this.... a manually adjustable mirror with working blinker lights... you know, like newer cars only without a power mirror adjustment option. you have to adjust the mirror by hand but the left one blinks for left turns and the right one blinks for right turns.. If that is not an option can a power mirror set with the blinker option be made to work with the manual joystick and still have the blinkers work?

My main goal here is to not leave any gaping holes in the door car... oops... door panels
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:11 am

Wait, didn't you just get a set of R/T door panels to put on your car? If so, you need to get some power mirrors since the R/T panels don't have provisions for manual mirrors.

Or am I missing something?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:14 pm

bobneon2k wrote:Okay so this is out... thanks guys for helping me with this one even though I may have confused some of you... sorry about that.

How about this.... a manually adjustable mirror with working blinker lights... you know, like newer cars only without a power mirror adjustment option. you have to adjust the mirror by hand but the left one blinks for left turns and the right one blinks for right turns.. If that is not an option can a power mirror set with the blinker option be made to work with the manual joystick and still have the blinkers work?

My main goal here is to not leave any gaping holes in the door car... oops... door panels
So you mean like these 300M mirror I made for my car? I actually have another set to build another pair to build another set for a neon. If all you want is the turn signal wire that is easy as pie. These usually cost about $250-$300 PER MIRROR when you can find them, and then you still have to swap the bases over and rewire it. If you're interested PM me and we can work something out. I do have to do work on these so I can't give them away, but I certainly don't expect get get anything near that price out of the pair of these.

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 pm

Just get power folding mirrors, cut the wires, and adjust the mirrors by hand... Simple as that. And leave the manual adjusting stick in the door panel so theres not a empty hole and so it looks like it still adjusts the mirror. Thats what I'm going to do if I swap mine

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:27 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:So you mean like these 300M mirror I made for my car? I actually have another set to build another pair to build another set for a neon. If all you want is the turn signal wire that is easy as pie. These usually cost about $250-$300 PER MIRROR when you can find them, and then you still have to swap the bases over and rewire it. If you're interested PM me and we can work something out. I do have to do work on these so I can't give them away, but I certainly don't expect get get anything near that price out of the pair of these.
BUMP for the true way to go and the guy to get them from. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:39 pm

NyNeon0813 wrote:Just get power folding mirrors, cut the wires, and adjust the mirrors by hand... Simple as that. And leave the manual adjusting stick in the door panel so theres not a empty hole and so it looks like it still adjusts the mirror. Thats what I'm going to do if I swap mine
This. Easiest thing. Let the wires hang and just push the mirror until it's set.

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:15 am

Danteneon wrote:Wait, didn't you just get a set of R/T door panels to put on your car? If so, you need to get some power mirrors since the R/T panels don't have provisions for manual mirrors.

Or am I missing something?
evidently installing new power mirrors in a car that does has not been pre wired for them is a big PITA so power mirrors are out. as for the door panels, the rears are a nice easy swap but I don't want all those buttons in the front panels unless they work and buying and installing any type of power window set up seems more trouble than it is worth. it will be easier to cut the leather out of the r/t panels and instal them into the original door panels.

NyNeon0813 - I had already considered what you mentioned but to someone else that unused toggle would appear broken and I do not want that. i want everything to work as it should. If I can't do that and have a folding mirror then i will just stick with what I have but a folding mirror that uses a toggle to adjust and has working turn signal functionality as well should be possible... shouldn't it?

Sidepipe87 I remember reading something about what you did with the 300M mirrors. Do they use the toggle method for adjustment? will they fit in the stock neon mounting space properly?
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 am

Anything is possible... Just need to have the time, money, and desire to do it!

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

You've got to swap the mirror housing over to the Neon base. You can do the wiring for the toggle switch, but I'd just hack the wires, make a little delete panel so you can't see into the mirrors, and just push on them to adjust them. Once they're set you'd never have to move them again anyway...
el. oh. el.

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:09 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:You've got to swap the mirror housing over to the Neon base. You can do the wiring for the toggle switch, but I'd just hack the wires, make a little delete panel so you can't see into the mirrors, and just push on them to adjust them. Once they're set you'd never have to move them again anyway...
I am only interested in options which leave the interior looking stock or otherwise look like they belong there. A delete panel is not an option because there are 2 ways to do something, the easy way and the right way. I'm not doing this the easy way, it will look ghetto and so will leaving the non functional toggle in place.

These are things that i am thinking about doing and seeking advice on to determine the best option for me if there even is one. if the cost is too much or the work is too troublesome I will have to pass. I am seriously under employed right now, I am not a mechanic and i am seriously short on spare time these days.

I appreciate everything you and everyone else is saying here so thanks. sorry if i seem like I am ranting.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 pm

bobneon2k wrote:
FAC3L3SS wrote:You've got to swap the mirror housing over to the Neon base. You can do the wiring for the toggle switch, but I'd just hack the wires, make a little delete panel so you can't see into the mirrors, and just push on them to adjust them. Once they're set you'd never have to move them again anyway...
I am only interested in options which leave the interior looking stock or otherwise look like they belong there. A delete panel is not an option because there are 2 ways to do something, the easy way and the right way. I'm not doing this the easy way, it will look ghetto and so will leaving the non functional toggle in place.

These are things that i am thinking about doing and seeking advice on to determine the best option for me if there even is one. if the cost is too much or the work is too troublesome I will have to pass. I am seriously under employed right now, I am not a mechanic and i am seriously short on spare time these days.

I appreciate everything you and everyone else is saying here so thanks. sorry if i seem like I am ranting.
Perfectly understandable - If I was in that situation (and I have been), I would rant, too !! :)

I know that user 'Matt86' on Neons.Org managed to find some nice aftermarket folding mirrors for a 1st gen Neon, on E-Bay.
However, I don't know / remember, if those were power mirrors or not.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm not sure why you are looking to replace the mirrors you have, whether it is necessity or you just want to, but I get from this thread that you don't have much money, you want it done the right way not the easy way (but don't wan't to go through the trouble of adding power mirrors) and want turn signals. These generic ebay manual z3/m3 whatever the hell they are mirrors seem to fit the bill. However idk what the adjustment stick looks like... if it even has one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-DODGE-NEO ... 64&vxp=mtr

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am

sidepipe87 wrote:I'm not sure why you are looking to replace the mirrors you have, whether it is necessity or you just want to, but I get from this thread that you don't have much money, you want it done the right way not the easy way (but don't wan't to go through the trouble of adding power mirrors) and want turn signals. These generic ebay manual z3/m3 whatever the hell they are mirrors seem to fit the bill. However idk what the adjustment stick looks like... if it even has one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-DODGE-NEO ... 64&vxp=mtr

I have seen some similar to this. it is what made me start this thread. Thanks for the link sidepipe87. I have sent the seller a question about if these have an adjustment toggle. They seem like a decent option.
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

McNasty
2GN Member

Post by McNasty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:12 am

I have seen some similar to this. it is what made me start this thread. Thanks for the link sidepipe87. I have sent the seller a question about if these have an adjustment toggle. They seem like a decent option.
Sorry to res an old thread, but did you end up going with those ebay mirrors?

If so, how did they work out for you?[/quote]
-Mason's Project Log viewtopic.php?t=68112
Official I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies Member #144

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:13 pm

bobneon2k Last Visited: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:46 pm

You could try PM'ing him. Depending on his preferences, he may get an email, if he is still using the email address provided.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:25 am

A friend tried similar chinapieces and decided them to be crap as it was not possible to adjust the glases as far as needed.
a neon - what else ?

Return to “Exterior”