what kind of 2.4 turbo engine is this?

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
slownomore
n00b

what kind of 2.4 turbo engine is this?

Post by slownomore » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 pm

hi guys, i´ve been reading all your swap stuff but dont get correct answer, or maibe too much information that gets me confused.

got 2004 neon SE 5 speed manual. im just to bought a 2003 MEXICAN CIRRUS 2.4L turbo engine. the car doesn´t have PCM but do have wiring harness.

i know that this engine is sort of PT CRUISER ENGINE, am i right? so what do i need to get this engine work . can i use my pcm? should i go for the cirrus pcm and wiring harness or any 2.4l works? does my tranny just bolt on, or should i search for a pt cruiser N/A manual? just want to know what kind of engine im about to buy , so i can keep goin with the other stuff

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 am

If you plan on staying N/A, then do not buy a turbo engine, especially if the turbo is not included. The compression is too low to make any real power in N/A form. It will probably make less than your 2.0.

Your 2004 PCM will run an N/A 2003 and newer 2.4, as long as you swap to the Jeep 4.0 injectors.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 am

What you just bought is a PT GT engine which is the same as an SRT-4 engine. I would swap it into your car, try to find an SRT4 computer, engine harness and vacuum lines. It will make your job easier.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 am

Did the Mexican market engines go NGC in 2003 as well?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

slownomore
n00b

Post by slownomore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:27 pm

occasional demons wrote:If you plan on staying N/A, then do not buy a turbo engine, especially if the turbo is not included. The compression is too low to make any real power in N/A form. It will probably make less than your 2.0.

Your 2004 PCM will run an N/A 2003 and newer 2.4, as long as you swap to the Jeep 4.0 injectors.
no i dont want to stay N/A, triying to get boost, im kind of short of money right now, and down here on mexico any 2.4 turbo the owner tries to get sold as solid gold. :( this will be a medium term proyect. just want to get the right parts . now i know this is a PT GT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Danteneon wrote:Did the Mexican market engines go NGC in 2003 as well?
I would think they would have to, unless they kept the ability to cast SBEC blocks. But you know screw ups would've happened, and the wrong blocks would've got shipped to the US. :lol:

Plus, there would be the issue of the cylinder head's vent being different too.

I think it would have been a nightmare, unless there was a totally separate facility.

IIRC, they had some troubles getting 1.8 castings mixed up with 2.0's
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

slownomore
n00b

Post by slownomore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:52 pm

INVUJerry wrote:What you just bought is a PT GT engine which is the same as an SRT-4 engine. I would swap it into your car, try to find an SRT4 computer, engine harness and vacuum lines. It will make your job easier.
thanks man ! now, does my tranny will fit ? or should i search another manual? really dont want autostick , but if it´s easier/cheaper/ easy find, then should become my first option.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

your trans will bolt up to it fine, however you'll need to find a clutch for a 2.0 that will hold up to the power of the turbo engine. another wise decision would be diff saver tabs in the trans (at the least) so you dont grenade it.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 pm

2004's may or may not already have diff pin retainer tabs. They were added as a running change. They are shown in the 2004 FSM.

Of course you pretty much have to split the case in half to check. Unless you have a camera that can go into the VSS hole to look.

Still won't save the differential from excess spinning. Even the diff case/carrier is trashed in my '99, from PO's spinning the wee out of the passenger side tire. The diff pin is still there tho. :cussing:

A better description, would be trans case saver tabs. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Motor Swap”