AT Trans to MT Trans wiring help, Do i need a MT harness?

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
heathcliff
n00b

AT Trans to MT Trans wiring help, Do i need a MT harness?

Post by heathcliff » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:32 am

Hello guys, My mechanic and I did a motor swap and a AT to MT swap

The car now runs fine but i have the check engine light and I'm getting really bad gas mileage so im going to buy a MT Computer instead of the AT computer iv been running of of.

I was looking at this ebay listing and they are less than an hour away from where i live if they give me any isues

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121089956076?it ... 23&vxp=mtr
Anyone know if they will set it so the theft system and keyfobs still work?

Also will it swap just fine? or do i have to wire a few things around or get a new harness from a Manual?

Im trying to save money since im a student but i believe if i get this ECU it will pay for its self in gas mileage.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:22 pm

You have to wire your speed sensor, reverse light, and clutch pedal to the right grounds / pinouts. There's a plug on the back of the head / block that's plugged. Pop the cap off and plug that into the trans.

You don't NEED the harness. Its certainly the best way but we wired mine and tucked them into the existing loom. I just cut off the extra ATM connector for the PCM.
el. oh. el.

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:57 am

Thanks i just need to find a company or someone that has a computer with the antitheft device and such.

IF anyone knows a company that wont do computers by vin number let me know, id like to keep the components i have but the car will lock up if its not programed right

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:03 am

You don't need a SKIM computer with the '01/'02 years. You can remove all the security items from the car, and a non SKIM PCM will be plug and play.

If you do not remove the SKIM Module/antenna, a non SKIM PCM will automatically become SKIM, and you would need to send it to Kevin Sykes in Washington State to have the SKIM turned off. You can also do that with a used SKIM equipped PCM. Otherwise you will need to attempt to get a dealer to swap your SKIM/VIN to the replacement PCM. A lot of them won't do it anymore. Unless you buy a new Mopar PCM.

If the reman place on Ebay can program your VIN/SKIM before shipping, you can go that route for the easiest way to go.

The only way to know if a used PCM is SKIM enabled is to have a dealer run the VIN on the PCM label. If it is non skim, you can remove the SKIM stuff like I mentioned, and it will need nothing else. Provided it is a functional unit.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 pm

I found a ECU a LKQ that fits the bill. They also have the steering column. that has the skim module

Here is the tricky part my mechanic said i need the console housing as well which has the speedo, and tach in it because they are all inter synced. Can anyone confirm this??

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:21 pm

heathcliff wrote:I found a ECU a LKQ that fits the bill. They also have the steering column. that has the skim module

Here is the tricky part my mechanic said i need the console housing as well which has the speedo, and tach in it because they are all inter synced. Can anyone confirm this??
They are not synced. You'll need the key from the donor car as well, so that the SKIM will match from the key, to the module, to the ECU. IF the key doesn't match the car wont run.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:39 pm

The SKIM does communicate with the cluster, I think mainly to switch the security light on/off, but like said, the cluster doesn't need to be matched.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 am

I found a non skim computer at a local junkyard 70 miles from me. It has the black key. If I removed the skim module will it hook right up and run?

I have been reading forms and some people say, yes or no it will work only for 8 start ups.

What would the procedure be to install this computer and make it work correctly and not go into limp mode?

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Is your car SKIM? If so, you can send me a SKIM 5 speed PCM and either your VIN, or your 4 digit SKIM pin from the dealer AND your SKIM module and I will flash it for you for $52 including return shipping to you. PM me if you're interested.

If you have a SKIM car getting a used NON SKIM PCM won't work and I'll tell you why... You won't find a non SKIM PCM newer than 00 or 01 when SKIM became standard and the NGC PCM came out, so no that won't work.

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Unfortunally I cant be without my car. The non skim module is from a 2002 dodge neon es manual transmisson. I have a 2002 dodge neon es but its an automatic pcm with skim.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:.

If you have a SKIM car getting a used NON SKIM PCM won't work and I'll tell you why... You won't find a non SKIM PCM newer than 00 or 01 when SKIM became standard and the NGC PCM came out, so no that won't work.
Assuming OP's car is '01/'02, '00 to '02 SKIM was an option, so yes there are non SKIM units out there for those 3 years. A non SKIM pcm will plug and play if the SKIM module etc are removed. You can even keep your chipped key to start it. (Only '01/'02 will work)

With non SKIM pcm's there is no need to flash anything, just plug it in once the SKIM features have been removed. Don't leave them in the car, because you never know when some bonehead might plug it back in.

If the car is an '03 newer, then there is no feasible way around SKIM other than what has been mentioned between Kevin or Ryan
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:02 am

My mechanic says if I keep the skim module in. He understands that if I get a PCM with non skim never activated and keep my skim module in it will program it to my specific skim and it will work. Is he wrong?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:11 pm

It can be reflashed to work with your SKIM, but it will not automatically do it. If you just plug the PCM in, it will be a paperweight until you have it reprogrammed.

If your mechanic wants to guarantee you in writing/notorized, an operating turn key pcm swap, let him try. At least you won't be paying for it. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I'm curious what sort of mechanic does this sort of shit anyway... Is this like your cousin's brother's uncle's dad or something?
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Im gonna get a PCM from a local shop that has a non skim PCM, it can be flashed to a skim correct?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Yes, provided the person has a DRBIII, and knows how to use it.

There was a thread on here with detailed instructions, so folks could print them out to educate their local Chrysler Tech, but damn if I can find it.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

heathcliff
n00b

Post by heathcliff » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 pm

wanted to give an update. The PCM i got works, car has been running great. I disabled the SKIMM. and i need to save up to get it flashed. :iroc:

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 pm

What exactly are you trying to get flashed? If the PCM is installed and running the car why not leave it alone?
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Return to “Motor Swap”