2.2L Turbo Diesel?

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
NachtRitter84
2GN Member

2.2L Turbo Diesel?

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:25 pm

Saw there was a non-US production model of the pt cruiser from 2003-2009 utilizing a 2.2L inline-four turbodiesel from Mercedes-Benz. I can find them in crate form, wondering if anybody has done the swap into an '05 neon, is it similarly plug-n-play as the 2.4 swap or is this going to be a much more convoluted process?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: 2.2L Turbo Diesel?

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:27 pm

If anyone has done it, they never posted about it.

I did get a spare neon PDC from eBay that had the relay label for glow plugs or something along those lines. I would have to dig it out to be 100%.

I thought it was interesting at the time.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:57 pm

The glowplugs are definitely part of that 2.2L. It seems that one of the models it fit to was the c230 Kompressor, which also has several, beefier, turbodiesel engines - including a 3.8l v6. assuming that the engine mounts remain a direct fit across the board, I'd say wiring harness, pcm and motor would direct fit - for a stick. The atx kompressors with the v6 had a 7 speed automatic with autostick which probably isn't a direct-fit swap. the 2.2L is probably the one I can get away with doing a sleeper swap on so I guess that'll be the next project.
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:27 pm

It is "Cabin Heater Relay" and a fuse for the same.

Diesels don't put out much heat....

It would be an interesting swap.

This late in the game, it might be difficult to source everything needed. It's tough enough with just regular old neon bits.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:42 am

I typed this up before I thought about the fact that you might be located in Europe. If you are, this might be easier for you.

After looking at some pictures, the hard part is going to be finding a transmission to run with it. It seems the PT cruiser diesel used a Getrag 288 like they do here for the PTGT, but it has a different gear set, and a different bell housing pattern. Easiest way would be to buy the engine locally, import the transmission you need, then attempt to find an ECU/harness, and go from there.

Depending on where you live, this might be your only option for a diesel swap. If you're somewhere with more lax inspection/emissions, a TDI swap might be a better bet.

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Post by NachtRitter84 » Fri May 05, 2023 12:22 pm

Actually live in NorthAm, but it's fairly easy to get pretty much anything through US customs as long as it's listed for personal use(I actually buy some books and hardcopy software from amazon UK this way since it ends up cheaper, even with international shipping, and some things just never got released on the US market(glares daggers at guild wars complete edition)). Was hoping to find one through a UK or Irish salvage yard and pay the shipping. However... the TDI swap sounds intriguing, and would probably be easier for me to get my hands on things... quickly.

I'll have to look into it, but another route to go could be to rebuild a classic Chrysler Turbo II - although they were only produced for 3 years so that option might run more expensive than importing a junked 2.2L from Europe.
2022 Mazda 3i

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am

The Turbo Dodge Chrysler stuff was made for a very long time. The 2.2/2.5 turbo stuff ran from 86-94 I believe. The "common block" stuff is stronger, and more available parts wise.

As far as weird swaps go, I don't think that's been done to a 2gn. There is an OLD youtube video where a guy did a turbo diesel swap to a caravan, under Dave's Farm or Dave's farm archive. He used the Engine and Trans from the VW, and kind of sleeved the axles together and it worked, and got killer MPG.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 am

INVUJerry wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am
The Turbo Dodge Chrysler stuff was made for a very long time. The 2.2/2.5 turbo stuff ran from 86-94 I believe. The "common block" stuff is stronger, and more available parts wise.

As far as weird swaps go, I don't think that's been done to a 2gn. There is an OLD youtube video where a guy did a turbo diesel swap to a caravan, under Dave's Farm or Dave's farm archive. He used the Engine and Trans from the VW, and kind of sleeved the axles together and it worked, and got killer MPG.
Imagine a coupe?!? Especially if you could get the final drive way down, thing would just purr at 80mph lol
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:32 am

racer12306 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:18 am
INVUJerry wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:02 am

Imagine a coupe?!? Especially if you could get the final drive way down, thing would just purr at 80mph lol
I think the final drive in a TDI is 3.389 and 5th is .75 OD. Would be pretty good for MPG's. If I find a wrecked mk4 diesel it's gonna happen.

Return to “Motor Swap”