Vent selector knob

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
ChetNubbler
n00b

Vent selector knob

Post by ChetNubbler » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Hello all, for some reason today when i went to turn my vent knob to defog, it snapped back to the center position!? it now feels like its spring loaded and the air only comes out of the front vents. this is fine for now, but i will need to have it blow on the windscreen during the winter. any suggestions on how to fix it? Any and all help will be very appreciated. Thanks Guys

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Is the last knob on recirculate, or outside air? On recirculate, it will block out the defrost.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:00 am

i think its stuck on recirc,

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:24 pm

has anyone been behind those knobs? does anyone have any insight?

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 am

Just remove the radio bezel and look behind it

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:27 am

There is a lock out in the gearing. You may need to pull the bezel off and remove the lock out part.

viewtopic.php?t=60029

The metal bar that goes across the bottom I believe is what slides over and locks out defrost on recirculate.

IIRC, I removed that so I could use recirculate on subzero mornings to get the windshield thawing faster. You just have to move it to outside air, or the windows will fog up.

viewtopic.php?t=37976
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:36 am

occasional demons wrote: IIRC, I removed that so I could use recirculate on subzero mornings to get the windshield thawing faster. You just have to move it to outside air, or the windows will fog up.
That's..genius...why didn't i do this last winter when it was colder than a frogs ass outside?

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:20 pm

so, you think its the metal bar thats causing the vent knob to snap back to the center position? i can take it apart tonight. im more concerned with being able to choose which vents to move air through, and less concerned with the recirc/outside air knob at this time. im also an all around car noob, sinice this is my first car, but im not afraid to take things apart and try to fix them myself.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:40 pm

It is possible, but the only way to really know what's going on is to have a look. You basically need a #2 phillips screwdriver to get everything apart.

I use the bezel to pop the knobs off, but they will go flying. Or you can pull them off by hand, but they generally take a good grip.

Debris may have just gotten into the gears, who knows...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ChetNubbler
n00b

Post by ChetNubbler » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:47 pm

ok, while on break at work i popped the front bezel off and took a peek behind the knobs. nothing looked broken and nothing was obviously stopping the knobs from turning. i could see the cable connected to the knob, but i still saw nothing obviously wrong/broken. when i get home i will remove the whole white part and take a closer look. is there anything that i need to be aware of before pulling it out? i can also take and post pics if that will help.

ChetNubbler
n00b

SOLVED!!

Post by ChetNubbler » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 pm

so, upon a closer inspection, i saw that the sheilding around the cable came out of a clip. i opened the clip ( it releases from under the white plastic part), moved the knob into the left most position, and put the sheilding back under the clip . vents now change as they should.

Last edited by ChetNubbler on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 pm

THANKS for posting those "tech photos" !!!
They're worth a thousand words. :D

I.I.R.C., the old MoPars had a similar setup.
Problem with those, is that once the clips were removed for servicing (replacing heater cores, etc.), it was virtually impossible to get them to stay in place afterward.

I suppose a drop of contact cement or something similar, applied between the cable and clip, might help 'anchor' it into place, so it doesn't slip out again.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Interior”