MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:32 am

Bowtie. Yes. :)

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:53 am

Camaro?
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Hellll no. I don't like rolling rectangles. I will get pictures this weekend. :)

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, Cavaliers are a bit rounder... but I think I'll wait for the pics before making any more guesses. :rofl:

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Must be a C7 then...

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:08 am

ckrock946 wrote:Must be a C7 then...
LOL. I am not rich. If I had that kind of money I would NOT by a C7.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 am

Cobalt? :hiding:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:19 am

It's clearly a lowered 2WD Tahoe

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:59 pm

2013 Sonic RS

Such a fun little car!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:21 pm

:thumbup: those things are awesome

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:35 pm

D'oh, I hadn't thought of that model. Good thing that you let the cat out of the bag- I was getting ready to ask if it was a Chevette. :rofl:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:25 pm

:withstupid: jk ;)

Nice buy ! Must be a quick peppy car ! I hope you have fun with it, modding it or not. ;)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:49 pm

:rofl: :rofl:

I didn't get a Sonic!

I got this instead:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Well dayum!!!

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Congrats! What did it put down?

Also, still have that rack and coupler?

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:50 pm

What did it put now? I don't know, previous owner was 66 and never ran it on the dyno. OLD ProCharger kit. Was on there when he got it over 3 years ago. Only running 5lbs of boost.

I sold the coupler and rack a while back

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:35 am

:slap: I prefer the Sonic...

:lol: Nice purchase again. :)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:07 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Congrats! What did it put down?

Also, still have that rack and coupler?
I can answer that first question now. Put out 511whp on 91 octane, base tune via HPtuners. Loaded dyno.

LSXkilr is the performance shop. New BTR valve springs and hardened Comp pushrods was installed. They are going to put 60lb injectors and a 2 bar MAP sensor since the duty cycle was 110% at redline. 30 lb injectors were in there. Too small.

Will get dyno pictures when I pick car up tomorrow.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Well since I am back in the stretch with this forum and after 4 years of information from my log gone lol. Time to leave off where I am currently at with my CURRENT Neon. Oh, lovin the chrome extension for the photobucket fail. Works great! All photobucket pictures work with it on my PC. (I don't visit 2gn on my cell)

I will still use IMGUR though since I refuse to use buggy photobucket anymore.

Anywho. Here is the last time I drove it. January 26th.

Weather has been nasty ans salty. So it just sits in the garage. Right around 17,1XX miles on it now.

Got another set of used Enkei RPF1s. These have a better offset. +35. Going to get these powdercoated PW1 at some point.

I have a spoilerlress PW1 trunk that will go on, and a MPX BFMIC with SDK crashbar and intercooler mount support kit this Spring too.

Buuuuuttt I have been focusing on mechanical things. As of now it is the dreaded P0301.

Car seems to run and drive fine. WOT it is great too. It originally came on during a colder day a couple of months ago. I reset the PCM and it didn't come on for a couple weeks or so. (I don't drive the car much) It really didn't start bothering me until it started to pop up more frequently. Now it pops up after about 2 or 3 starts after I clear the code.

So far I swapped plug wires and spark plugs. Switching cylinder 1 and 4. No bueno. Spark plugs looked fine too. No oil or anything on them. Can get pictures if interested.

So now I am digging into it a bit more. Pulled the fuel rail and took all the injectors off. RC 750's. Car is running the AGP "returline" kit. I had them all flow tested and cleaned locally. They were fine. O-rings held pressure fine too.

Did a compression test on a COLD motor (34 degrees) with my mini battery that is in the car. 120 on all 4 cylinders. So that rules out compression. So I threw new NGK 4306's in there. (Car has NGK Iridiums) And put the fuel rail in with the cleaned injectors. I did break my S2/3 MAP sensor when pulling the fuel rail. I cracked it. So I ordered that new universal kit from MPX waiting on that to start the car up again. So thinking of other possible things it could be.

Car has the blue plastic intake manifold gasket. Hondata I believe. It does not leak during a boost leak test. Previous owner ported the intake manifold, so hopefully that isn't causing it either. Oh got to look into getting a new coil pack too which could cause it. Has the original coil pack on it so that is another $95 part I could get... Or grab one from a junkyard. I need to test the coil pack on it first.

Other possibilities...carbon from the idiot previous owner who used a ton of antiseize in the spark plug well. Made its way down?

Tune? Too much timing on startup? Read about that on an EVO forum that caused a P0301.

Any other ideas?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Weather is horrible out here in Kansas. Lots of ice storms.

Got the car all back together. So far no CEL after about 3 start ups. That could change after driving it more. Still get a weird smell after the car is up to temp coming out of the exhaust. No white smoke or anything. Smells like something is burning either oil or coolant. I am leaning towards oil. Hopefully its just turbo related and not motor.

Lower pressure pipe came off from some high psi pulls. So I got it back on there better this time around and leak tested it again. All good there.

Dropped off the wheels above to a powdercoater in KC. They are going to fix the curb rash and coat them PW1. The color of my car. For an extra 40% I am having them cleared too, so they will be nice and glossy!

Going to need to order tires for them too. Either 225/45/17 or go with 235/45/17. Goal is not to have to use spacers.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 am

Got the new wheels and tires mounted! RPF1 17x8 powdercoated in PW1 stone white with clear. Bridgestone Potenza RE71R 235/45/17. Love it! But I do have a rubbing issue. :( if you check out the suspension page I made a post about it.

Also should I go with the Enkei RPF1 center caps? Aftermarket ones do not fit on these due to the +35 offset. Or just run it without em. Lot of people think the centercaps look stupid.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am

I have no intention of running caps on mine. Spray some black paint in the centers and leave it.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm

Good idea on the paint. shouldn't affect the threads on the half shaft

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:07 am

I did it on my old SRT after a long track session literally melted my center caps off. It turned out great. Granted, the wheels were also black, so it just kind of blended in. Aftermarket center caps tend to be on the gaudy side anyway. I dig the race car look.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Ooooh la la. With rear camber plates.

Car has shorter endlinks in the front and adjustable ones in the rear from the full hotchkis setup :)

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:28 am

Lots of work on the Neon. Got the BC's on. Took my sweet time. Adjusted them all to my liking and got the car aligned. Still ended up bottoming out and rubbing my fender after my dumbass did a pull going down a hill with a bridge at the bottom [-X :roll: Other than that no rubbing issues at all and no more bone chattering clunks when hitting bumps in the front. Got the car aligned with preferred specs from srtforums

Then it was intercooler time. Bought a used MPX intercooler and a new SDK crash bar last year. Finally got around to installing it. Also got those plates that Tanner Mahlke guy makes on the FB page. Of course I did a boost leak test afterwards. And yes I had a leak. Cold side pipe. Had to adjust that a bunch of times to get it to not leak boost. Stripped a old worm clamp in the process. Finally. that was a PITA.

For people that like numbers. I weighed myself and then holding a factory front strut and spring. 21lbs. BC's are 12lbs (front) So savings of 9lbs. The rears were a 9lb savings too, just forgot the numbers. So 36lbs savings on all 4 corners.

Factory crash bar= 18.8lbs
SDK crash bar = 13.6lbs
CCA direct fit intercooler = 13.4lbs
MPX big front mount intercooler = 28.2lbs

So new setup is 9.6lbs heavier then the prior setup.

He said that is normal for them to be drilled that way. I had to modify one of the holes.
Alignment fun

Oh and just today. Got my wingless decklid on with new Caliber SRT-4 badge. Car was clay barred and waxed. Going to a big car gathering tomorrow. She is all ready!
Some somewhat decent pictures to follow soon!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 am

Wingless FTW! That was my favorite visual mod on my SRT.

How do you like the Hotchkis sways? Given the amount of rub I'm getting around sharp corners, I'm obviously getting some roll and I've been thinking about that setup. I thought the R/T setup would be perfect, but I'm finding the need for something stiffer.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Yeah love it without the wing. Don't really need it. No more unwanted attention hopefully. I removed it on my silver car like 2 weeks after I got it and put a wingless decklid on.

The wing does add a bit of flare to it. I really hated it back when I had my silver one. But as the years passed I grew to respect it and not hate it. :) But I am with you, A lowered Neon with a nice set of wheels looks sooo much better without the wang.

The Hotchkis setup helps with body roll quite a bit. Car is so firm. One of the first mods I did to my silver back in like 09. But I have owned stock SRT-4's and could feel the body roll. My R/t felt a bit better for some reason then the stock SRT-4's I had. The bigger sway bars help quite a bit! Car is very planted on the cloverleaf. Haven't tested it to the limit yet. But I could only imagine with my suspension setup and my sticky RE71R tires. Kind of scares me. Not sure how much it would help with the rubbing though.

Here are the pictures I took. Didn't want to drive all over the place to look for a spot to take pictures. I know I could of found a better spot but this area was open and right off the road so I snapped some shots.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm still not a fan of white wheels, but I definitely appreciate the effort to get them to actually match the car. Overall, it looks really clean. Wing delete is perfect. I've been on the lookout for a clean silver lid for mine since I bought it.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I hear yah and respect your opinion! I love the white on white! So clean. I can do another rim in the future if I get bored. Probably a bright red but it will be on a different set of alloys. My brother got some bright red Motegi's on his silver 07 civic si and they look killer.

Nothing new really. Car just chillin in the garage. Changed the transmission fluid, went with the Royal Purple Synchromax. Always had good luck with that in my prior SRT-4. Also changed the oil and went with Amsoil 5w-40 EuroSpec.

Getting some logging done with my tuner. Boost was spiking at 26 and holding 24.5. Too much KR. So got a new tune and lowered it to 22-23lbs. Going to see what he says with the log on that boost level. AFR's were 11.5-11.6 from 3k-6.5k which is spot on in my opinion for 93 octane.

Want to get the tune dialed in safely and then off to the dyno to see what it is putting down to the wheels just for personal interest to see how the car is running.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Progress/Project Log”