MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun May 25, 2014 2:16 am

Decided to just scrap the manual rack idea. So if anyone needs a new 1st gen manual rack & coupler let me know. Just put a new re-man SRT rack with the lines looped. Got some Aeroquip fittings. $$
New rear main seal in.
Had to buy the special Millet tool to get it in there straight:

Got to get the coupler back in on the rack. Doesn't want to go in. :( Gotta try it again tomorrow. Torque down all the rack to subframe bolts.

Got idea to do the new master clutch cylinder before installing transmission? Think I will do slave last since there seems to be pinch points when installing the transmission. One less thing to mess up. Just not sure on the master cylinder. Will have to look into it before I attempt to do it.

Edit: Rack in. Next is master cylinder.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 am

Well got the old master cylinder out unharmed. Buuuuuuuttt I tried practicing getting it back in. Epic fail. Those plastic lines are a PITA. Soooooo I am going to go the stainless steel braided line route"
^Going to look like this.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 am

Looks good! :thumbup:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:38 am

Got the stainless line all hooked up, made install so much easier! Also did this last week:
New ACT clutch setup in. Resurafaced my flywheel though. Tomorrow 6/28/14 is transmission install day. Excited to get my car on the road, I hope all is well and I will be hoping for the best :lol: :lol:

Edit: 7/13 is the install day. Had to get a new TOB since tabs were broken off on the one that the shop installed.
Last edited by MyNeonSaysHi on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Very nice work man. :thumbup:

Too bad about the manual rack though, I would've loved to see it done again. :|

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Car is alive as of this past Saturday! Surprised she started right up even with e70 in the tank from early September of 2013. I did put a can of Seafoam in there before it got cold. So I am trying to run out all that gas and break in the new clutch. I am trying 10w-40 High Mileage synthetic motor oil for the transmission. Seems to be a hit or miss with people. Seems to shift okay.

I do have a little bit of play in my steering wheel and it feels as if something is loose. I checked the coupler and everything seems good down there. The wheels are nice and tight with no play in the suspension. But I was told if your car is really far out of alignment then there might be some looseness in the steering wheel? I have been driving it around town and it seems to drive fine. Have an appointment set up next Monday for an alignment and to have them check out my rack @ RevLine in KC. Can't wait to get that situated, break in the clutch and put a fresh tank of e85 in there and give the car hell once again! :D

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:58 pm

My steering wheel was shaking, but when I tested the wheels it did not feel loose at all. Since getting the wheels balanced did not fix it, I replaced all bushings, tie rods, and the ball joints. That finally fixed it (after getting it aligned and the wheel balanced yet again). Although I hope an alignment and maybe wheel balancing fixes your issue as that would be a heck of a lot easier.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I am 100% sure it is steering rack/coupler related.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 am

Is the wheel tight in the column? When you tightened the pinch bolt at the bottom of the column, were the wheels on the ground, and the car level?

Also tilted all the way up...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Only portion I touched of the column is the coupler going to the column. I will get pictures.

Nope the wheels were not on the ground or the column not tilted all the way up.... That supposed to be done and probably my issue huh? If so, you rock!

Edit:

That did fix it! Column was already up close to the top but not all the way. I loosened the bolt and got it up there a bit higher. Tightened the bolt very tight and no more play! Thank you so much Bill! :rockon: :rockon:

Donated to 2gn.org, should of done that a long time ago.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:06 pm

When I get the car finished up, I'll give you a shout and we should meet up somewhere in KC for a photo shoot. I need to take some good new pictures of the yellow car anyway.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Glad that was the issue! Mine clunked for years until I discovered that little gem of info.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 pm

quicksilvr wrote:When I get the car finished up, I'll give you a shout and we should meet up somewhere in KC for a photo shoot. I need to take some good new pictures of the yellow car anyway.
Yeah for sure! I would be down. Really want to see your ride.
Glad that was the issue! Mine clunked for years until I discovered that little gem of info.
Hell yeah. :thumbup:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 am

Hit a semi tire re-tread last week. Came out under this SUV I was following and I hit it. Here is the damage:
Lost part of my side marker and my CF fog delete. My lip started to come off in some places, and my factory mesh is broke in a couple spots. Luckily my $$$$ Kaminari hood did not get damaged at all.

Cleaned up the black crap to the best of my ability with clay bar and then put some wax over it. There is a little bulging spot as you can see. I added a foglight bezel for the heck of it. Looks weird without one, let alone no foglight or delete. I ordered a new sidemarker for that side. Only like $4.50 shipped via eBay. I see special-carbonfiber.com has CF foglight deletes, but they have them in red,yellow,and blue kevlar. Not into that. So I am waiting on a response to see if they have them in regular black. Got the factory plastic mesh via RockAuto.com for $28 shipped.

I drove out to a small town in Missouri hoodless to pick up another silver SRT-4 hood. Couldn't pass up the price...

Got my AGP billet fuel rail pawns so I can use my fuel injector cover again.

Have about 850 miles on the clutch setup. Haven't gone wide open throttle yet. Since I travel mainly highway miles. I probably could go WOT now, but trying to be on the safe side.
Last edited by MyNeonSaysHi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 am

Ouch, but it looks like it cleaned up pretty well. Did you see the "gator" coming at you before it hit your car? I had that happen once to my 1GN- truck ahead of me on the interstate blew a tire and a big chunk of it came flying towards my car and hit my windshield (eventually cracked from the impact and had to be replaced).

I want your Perrin radiator shield! :banghead:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

Road debris sucks! At least it was mostly cosmetic, and didn't take out anything underneath. I had road debris get kicked up, and take out the trans cooler lines on my Ramcharger years ago. Left me walking about 10 miles before I finally got a ride.

At least we have the option of cell phones now...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah I filed an insurance claim but I don't think I will go with it since my deductible is $500. I would get my front fascia completely fixed along with other things, but its not really worth it. I will be in around $120~ unless I plan on getting my front fascia fixed I will probably just get some touch up paint.

Yeah it could of been a LOT worse. I am very fortunate. Glad that 4 foot piece didn't come crashing through my windshield. I had just waxed my car a couple days prior to hitting that thing. So I am sure the wax helped protect my paint a tad.

I was tempted to look for my CF delete on the side of the interstate but I don't think that would be a good idea.

Yeah, Perrin discontinued all their SRT-4 items I believe. I got the shroud on clearance too from them years ago!
Road debris sucks! At least it was mostly cosmetic, and didn't take out anything underneath. I had road debris get kicked up, and take out the trans cooler lines on my Ramcharger years ago. Left me walking about 10 miles before I finally got a ride.

At least we have the option of cell phones now...
Yeah I still need to inspect underneath the car fully. But I did drive it around 60 miles to get the hood so I am sure its fine. Makes me less upset about the situation thinking about all the "what if's"

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 pm

If worse comes to worse, there is always new (but very expensive):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-NeW-OEM-D ... bf&vxp=mtr
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Yeah, Perrin discontinued all their SRT-4 items I believe. I got the shroud on clearance too from them years ago!
That's it, rub it in! :lol:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:If worse comes to worse, there is always new (but very expensive):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-05-NeW-OEM-D ... bf&vxp=mtr
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Yeah, Perrin discontinued all their SRT-4 items I believe. I got the shroud on clearance too from them years ago!
That's it, rub it in! :lol:
You can get other radiator shrouds. There are people that make custom ones for around $50-60 shipped. You can install that yourself too. :)

Yeah the SRT-4 front fascia is STUPID expensive. That one listed isn't even painted!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

I know about the other shrouds but I've always wanted a Perrin one. I was too late for the party on those. :cussing:

Yeah, that is strange about the front clip not being painted as I thought that Mopar sold them primered- shouldn't it be grey?

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Gosh I love the Mach lip.
el. oh. el.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks.
But unfortunately, this log is done. Car is gone. Sold it within 5 days of having it listed. Moving onto a different platform more then likely. Been through a lot with the car over the past 7 years and learned so much. Put a ton of hours and thousands of dollars into it during the process. Basically a money pit. But my life revolved around it. Huge hobby of mine. I loved it.

It did treat me very well. I am pretty sure the new owner will take good care of it and treat it okay. He said he has plans to fix all the dings and the rust bubbles among other things. So far I am not too sad that it left. Was just a material item, I am sure what replaces it will be better. Going to take my time to figure out what it may be.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Basically a money pit. But my life revolved around it. Huge hobby of mine. I loved it.
Sounds like my car. Will be interested to read about your next project.

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Well, it was a very interesting log to follow but I guess we all end up moving on at some point. Good luck with your future project. :rockon:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Jean-Seb wrote:Well, it was a very interesting log to follow but I guess we all end up moving on at some point. Good luck with your future project. :rockon:
Thanks. Probably won't be an extensive project as this was. Going to take my time looking for the right vehicle.

The new owner is bothering the crap out of me. I had to block him. Such an idiot. :banghead: So I retract that post saying it was going into good hands, looks like he wants to sell it already. :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:Basically a money pit. But my life revolved around it. Huge hobby of mine. I loved it.
Sounds like my car. Will be interested to read about your next project.
You better hope he buys a Mopar!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Picking up the new whip tomorrow! It is American and a stickshift I will tell you that. :salute: :gears:

So excited!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:It is American...
That's good to know but why do I get the feeling that it might have a blue oval on it? :shock:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Nope.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

ckrock946
2GN Member

Post by ckrock946 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:56 am

suit and tie?

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #141