Another reason to not buy Chinese-made goods

Any sort of pictures or videos (no adult content!) that is not related to Neons go here.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Another reason to not buy Chinese-made goods

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:33 am

From allpar.com:
David Zatz wrote:In an ironic move, city of Shanghai, China, has fined Chrysler $5.2 million for “monopoly” practices.

China does not allow foreign manufacturers to own local factories, but levies punishing import taxes on foreign-built cars.
Chrysler, which has an infinitesimal market share in China due to Mercedes’ takeover of Beijing Jeep, was accused of setting minimum prices for vehicles sold in Shanghai. Three dealerships were also fined a total of $343,000 for price-fixing on service work.
The country does not face such barriers when exporting to the United States, instead enjoying Most Favored Nation status with Congress’ repeat approval.

China, which is officially communist, claimed that this was a violation of free market principles, according to the Associated Press. A spokesman for the country said that enforcement is even-handed, but companies said that they were not allowed to see evidence or bring lawyers to meetings.

Audi was also fined, for $40.5 million; eight Audi distributors were fined a total of $5 million. Mercedes was found to have violated the law but was not penalized. Mercedes and Audi cut parts prices and Chrysler cut imported-car prices.

Other companies under attack include Microsoft and Qualcomm.
"The country does not face such barriers when exporting to the United States, instead enjoying Most Favored Nation status with Congress’ repeat approval."
Why does our government always give foreign companies a break while kicking our own to the curb?
:cussing:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 am

Because it's STILL cheaper, and the average American can't bring himself to care or think about it.

Like me. I personally don't care, and it's not affecting me.

I'm all for the pro-American movement for products, jobs, etc. . . But I will say that most people I've met and interact with on a daily basis are nowhere near qualified or skilled enough to manufacture anything I want to use. Not that the chinese children are any more qualified :rofl:

Jesus, I'm rambling...
el. oh. el.

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:21 pm

From what I read the other day about this, these manufacturers are already in talks with the WTO as this seems to violate trade agreements China signed off on as part of the WTO treaty or whatever you want to call that. So the last word is probably not spoken yet. But generally I think someone needs to do something about the unfair trade tactics China is running ranging from currency manipulation to stealing trade secrets and IP.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:...the average American can't bring himself to care or think about it.
That makes me worry then. People should care and think about it due to its importance. You can say you're patriotic and wave flags all you want but buying American-made to support our country proves that it's more than just lip service.
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:35 pm

Ferguson.... Need we say more.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Off-Topic Media”