How-To: Magnum intake install version 2

Kernel Panic
2GN Member

How-To: Magnum intake install version 2

Post by Kernel Panic » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:43 pm

Ok so you've gotten a Magnum intake. You want to have it operate just like an ACR or R/T. You looked at all the how-to's but none seem to work. Well this configuration will have your intake working just like a Magnum motor. Just follow the directions below....

Parts needed

A Magnum intake with a functioning actuator
a RPM window switch (Harlan or MSD(you may need a tach adapter))*
a Zex TPS/WOT switch*
2 relays (SPDT - Single pole, Double throw)
wire (lots of it)

*note these devices use a ground interrupt which are used to control relays, using these devices to control high current devices will fry them on first use.

Background

The Magnum intake on the Neon ACR and R/T's has two runners one being the short or primary runner, and a long or secondary runner. The secondaries are operated by a set of 4 butterflys actuated by the MTV actuator which is controlled by the PCM. The secondaries are opened when certain parameters are met. First you must be at WOT, and then you must be between idle and 3200RPMS, or 5000+(to clarify you will be on the primary runners no matter what between 3200 and 5000RPMS). Other than that you are running only on the primary runners.

Setup

Install your Magnum intake.

Now you need to locate a constant and switched +12VDC source (the battery + terminal, and the hot side off the fuel pump relay will work).

First we are going to hook up the WOT switch. Wire it according to the instructions (use the switched +12 source to supply power) connecting one of the two control wires(we are only going to use one, you can use the second one to control another relay to fire off nitrous solenoids if you want) to one of the terminals for the relay #1 coil.

Wire up the other coil terminal to your constant 12V source.

Now following the WOT switch instructions program the WOT switch. After you program the WOT switch with the ignition ON, you should be able to depress the throttle to WOT and hear the relay engaging, then disengaging after you let up. If not troubleshoot your wiring.

Now we are going to wire up the RPM switch(depending on which you are using the tach adapter as well, the Harlan does NOT need the TA, just tap one of the hot wires going to the coil pack( either outside wire will do(the center is your common)) and set it to 2 cyl when you are programming it) to its power source (switched +12V) and the trigger wire (ground) to the one of the coil terminals on relay #2, and the other term should be connected to the NO (Normally Open) contact on relay #1. Now connect the common terminal on relay #1 to your switched +12 source. Almost done!

Now connect the + terminal of the MTV actuator to the +12V constant, then connect the (- ) terminalto the common terminal of relay #2, and the NO (normally open) to ground.

Tidy up your wiring, program the RPM switch, and try it out!

The weasels are closing in, I can smell the ugly brutes..
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.. - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

Greg
2001 Magnum equipped Neon ES
My website

eVilcreations
Former Jr. Admin

Post by eVilcreations » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:02 pm

Very nice write up Greg.......I would surely use this if I was going to use a mag intake.....

Josh

Kernel Panic
2GN Member

Post by Kernel Panic » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks!

Well getting a couple of emails a week asking how to do it kinda motivated me to do this. And it is ALOT better than the writeup's I've seen addressing the wiring of the actuator. Now I get...

Ricer: yo! you gotta VTEC?
Me: no a Magnum
Ricer: a Hemi??
Me: yeah, whatever......

:D
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.. - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)

Greg
My website

evlneon
2GN Member

Post by evlneon » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:23 pm

just so it's out there... what gauge wire would you recommend Greg?
PHIL | 03 SUBY WRX | 98 PLYMOUTH STYLE SEDAN <- (SOLD)

Kernel Panic
2GN Member

Post by Kernel Panic » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:13 pm

I pretty much kept to matching what was already there. It helps having a wire spool rack. If I was out of a particular gauge I just went up to the next larger.

Greg
My website

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:10 am

Wow, this just saved me pm'ing you a couple times to ask specific questions. Thanks, and very well done. I still don't have a switch, but I don't even have the manifold yet, so it's all good. The manifold should arrive this week. Thanks again for posting this. Lifesaver.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:03 am

Technically...we do have HEMI's.......
The SOHC magnum and non are all based on the hemisherical combustion chamber.
As for the magnum intake - its a VVI manifold(that will confuse ricers..lol)

79cutlas
2GN Member

Post by 79cutlas » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Good write-up. I used an MSD switch with my own "pill" i made to open the secondaries at 4800 RPM. Which is really fun cause all my Honda friends are like "how did you get a Vtec in a Neon?!" Which cracks me up all the time...
2001 Neon ES Flame Red
Magnum Swap
Custom CAI
#14 CAm
Crane Cam Gear
3.94 MTX Swap
Accell 24lb injectors
UDP
SAFC 2
Upgraded Ground

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:37 pm

Diablooooo.....stiiiickyyy...... :lol:

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:57 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:Technically...we do have HEMI's.......
The SOHC magnum and non are all based on the hemisherical combustion chamber.
As for the magnum intake - its a VVI manifold(that will confuse ricers..lol)
VVI... Whats that stand for? Variable Vaginal Intake? :D Doesnt Toyota use something like VVI-I (with inteligence, i think?) Been a while since ive read this stuff up!
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:15 am

Ok..so iv'e got

A Magnum intake with a functioning actuator
a RPM window switch (Harlan or MSD(you may need a tach adapter))*
a Zex TPS/WOT switch*

Now..i need 2 relays, a single pole and double throw, or is it a singlepole/doublethrow?

And, where can i get these relays? Would the guys at radioshack know what these are? How much do these run? Thanks!
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:23 am

You should be able to use only one relay... i have seen other wiring guides that allow it. Either way works. Rat-shack has relays for a few bux im sure. I can order them for less the $2 each, so im sure they wouldnt need much into it.
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:40 am

alrighty, great, thanks. I'll have to run-down to radioshack and grab one/two.
2001 Neon R/T
Deyeme Motor Mounts, Booger Bushings, JohnnyMopar Cradle Bushings, SRT Silver shift knob, Maddog STS, SRT Rear Seat, K&N WAI, Magnecore Wires, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil, Coil pack heat shield
""The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone" - Harriet Beecher Stowe"

Kernel Panic
2GN Member

Post by Kernel Panic » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:59 am

Technically you can get away with using 1 relay, by removing Relay #1 and hot wiring the WOT to the RPM switches. The reason I did it that way is beacause all electronics generate noise, in this case the Harlan switches pickup on that noise from the output of the WOT switch and they go nuts. Could have just used a 0.1uF cap to clean it up but decided using a relay in effect isolates both circuts. To prove my point get an old AM portable radio, tune it to an empty spot(doing this while the car is off) on the dial, pop the hood, start the car, and hold the radio almost anyplace in the engine compartment. You'll be hearing lots of electronic noise. The PCM, the injectors, the alternator, and coil pack are high noise areas. Not having them properly shielded/isolated will wreak havoc on electronics.

Greg
My website

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:36 am

okay..i went to radio shack and all that had were miniature relays with real tiny pins. They had some switches that were SPDT, but i'm not sure if those will work.

I'm assuming they will, but i just wanna make sure. And, does anyone know the gauge wire sizes i'll need? thanks!
2001 Neon R/T

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:38 am

LCPLPunk wrote:okay..i went to radio shack and all that had were miniature relays with real tiny pins. They had some switches that were SPDT, but i'm not sure if those will work.

I'm assuming they will, but i just wanna make sure. And, does anyone know the gauge wire sizes i'll need? thanks!
goto autozone, they have relays in the foglight section
12 Subaru WRX hatch - #notadowngrade
04 Neon - #base2SRT #24NAprojectgoneSRT
03 Subaru Forester 2.5XS - #gfscar #butiown
06 Subaru WRX STi - #traded4hatchback12WRX #gone
98 Neon R/T 2.4L Turbo Coupe - #7yearproject #SRTified #megasquirt
http://www.st1ck3rs.com
http://www.detroitneonowners.org

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:39 am

Alrighty, great. Any word on gauge size?
2001 Neon R/T

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:37 pm

wire gauge? Im sure 16 awg would be fine, i would say 14-12 if you want to be picky (which i would do 14 myself). Its only say 15 amps right? 16 awg should be good to 20 amps (at short distances... dont do 25' of it!)

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:00 pm

graaaaate! thanks! :)
2001 Neon R/T

Novajoe
2GN Member

Post by Novajoe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:43 pm

what about the NOS rpm switch? looks like it comes with a wot switch.
03 sxt
Magnum powered
Srt powered

13.6@109mph on 8lbs of boost and street tires.(edit:was accidently on 13lbs)

"I beat the internet... the end guy is hard..."

sxtreborn
n00b

PCM problems

Post by sxtreborn » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:58 pm

i wish i under stood all of your terms like wot,and where to get a rpm switch,but i do need to know because i just had a magnum installed into my sxt neon and need help to hook up my secondary

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:11 am

wot= wide open throttle
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

nodestiny
2GN Member

Re: PCM problems

Post by nodestiny » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:30 am

sxtreborn wrote:i wish i under stood all of your terms like wot,and where to get a rpm switch,but i do need to know because i just had a magnum installed into my sxt neon and need help to hook up my secondary
Goto summit racing and look up "MSD RPM window"... youll find it! I just dished out about $100 for my digital one... OUCH.

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:36 pm

im thinking of buying the af/x-r ecu... since i already have the magnum motor, is there anything different thatd id be wiring/doing?

thanks

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:23 pm

from what i've heard the R/T PCM does control the secondaries...
2001 Neon R/T

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:02 am

LCPLPunk wrote:from what i've heard the R/T PCM does control the secondaries...
It does, but the SXT wiring harness doesn't. :wink:
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

tamadrumr88
2GN Member

Post by tamadrumr88 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 pm

LCPLPunk wrote:from what i've heard the R/T PCM does control the secondaries...
ofcourse the stock one does. its the atermarket ecu that doesnt, there is no magnum ecu program, thats why we end up running safc's to control that manifold (which ive decided in favor of over a window switch just incase i get the itch for a crane #14 down the line :))

LCPLPunk
2GN Member

Post by LCPLPunk » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:40 am

i think a VAFC controls the secondaries, not a SAFC..
2001 Neon R/T

DJ CptnCrnch
2GN Member

Post by DJ CptnCrnch » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 pm

have any pics of the a
Zex TPS/WOT switch
2 relays (SPDT - Single pole, Double throw) or somewhere i can buy them...im about to purchase a manifold, and want to make sure i get the right stuff
-Matt-
04 Black SXT
AEM intake, MPx underdrive pulley, MPx throttle body, Prothane Motor Mounts , Mopar short throw shifter Eibach lowing springs, Mag Intake Manifold, Mopar 3D Taillights, Mag head, Comp 400 cam, FF LTH. All this work and I'm still slow...time to find another car
BB PIN: 317CEE50

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:55 pm

im going the vafc route, when it arrives and i get it wired up ill make up some docs for it. it looks to be the SAFC install with 2 extra wires and a relay (so the vafc doesnt blow up)
12 Subaru WRX hatch - #notadowngrade
04 Neon - #base2SRT #24NAprojectgoneSRT
03 Subaru Forester 2.5XS - #gfscar #butiown
06 Subaru WRX STi - #traded4hatchback12WRX #gone
98 Neon R/T 2.4L Turbo Coupe - #7yearproject #SRTified #megasquirt
http://www.st1ck3rs.com
http://www.detroitneonowners.org

Return to “HT Engine”