How-To: Serpentine belt replacement

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

How-To: Serpentine belt replacement

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:47 am

I was wondering if anyone has changed their Serpentine belt on their car lately and what parts are needed to put it on? I been told it can be a pain to wrap it around all the pulleys and shit. I just recently bought the belt through the school and was thinking if I should put it on myself or have a professional do it.
Thanks

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Casketbearer
2GN Member

Post by Casketbearer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:01 pm

never done a neon, but the correct belt wrench makes a BIG difference in ease of installation/ removal. Also, the wheel well is your friend when it comes to hard to reach areas.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:16 am

piece of cake when you remove the splash guard or whee well (whatevere you call it)
:munky2:
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:51 am

Serpentine Belt Removal:
1 - Jack up the passenger side, turn your wheel to give you access to the lower splash shield.
2 - Remove the 3 10mm mounting screws and pry the shield out. There is going to be 2 plastic push pins still holding the shield on even after you removed the 3 screws. Just pull hard enough and they pop.
3 - Take a 17mm wrench and slide it over the top of the tensioner, there will be a lil nub sticking up on it, you cant miss it.
4 - carefully pull forward on the wrench and it will loosen up the serpentine belt. With your free hand, slide the belt off the PS pump pulley and then release the tension on the tensioner.
5 - slide the old belt out the bottom or top, then install the new belt in the reverse procedure as above.

Power Steering belt removal:
1 - Follow the above steps to remove SERP belt
2 - While your under the car, loosen the 15mm bolt on the bottom of the ALT
3 - Up top, loosen the 15mm mounting bolt also, dont remove just loosen
4 - On the back of the ALT mounting bracket is a 13mm adjusting nut. Back that off until you get enough slack to remove the belt
5 - reverse procedure to re-install and tighten until there is no slop in the belt. Start the car, goose the throttle a couple times to make sure its tight enough. Then go back and turn the nut one more 1/4 turn
6 - Tighten the 2 15mm mounting nuts and reinstall the SERP belt...

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks once again Brr. :hello2:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:20 am

I just found out how to do it myself...lol
I did it saturday night trying to figure out what the growling was under my hood. Damn A/C compressor clutch is growling, and I thought it was my PS pump. oops...

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:51 pm

thank i was looking for this info....
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am

BlackRoseRacing wrote:Serpentine Belt Removal:
1 - Jack up the passenger side, turn your wheel to give you access to the lower splash shield.
2 - Remove the 3 10mm mounting screws and pry the shield out. There is going to be 2 plastic push pins still holding the shield on even after you removed the 3 screws. Just pull hard enough and they pop.
3 - Take a 17mm wrench and slide it over the top of the tensioner, there will be a lil nub sticking up on it, you cant miss it.
4 - carefully pull forward on the wrench and it will loosen up the serpentine belt. With your free hand, slide the belt off the PS pump pulley and then release the tension on the tensioner.
5 - slide the old belt out the bottom or top, then install the new belt in the reverse procedure as above.

Alternator belt removal:
1 - Follow the above steps to remove SERP belt
2 - While your under the car, loosen the 15mm bolt on the bottom of the ALT
3 - Up top, loosen the 15mm mounting bolt also, dont remove just loosen
4 - On the back of the ALT mounting bracket is a 13mm adjusting nut. Back that off until you get enough slack to remove the belt
5 - reverse procedure to re-install and tighten until there is no slop in the belt. Start the car, goose the throttle a couple times to make sure its tight enough. Then go back and turn the nut one more 1/4 turn
6 - Tighten the 2 15mm mounting nuts and reinstall the SERP belt...
:D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Sorry, I missed typed.....3 years ago :lol:

Return to “HT Engine”