How-To: Remove your harmonic balancer

rt_neon04
2GN Member

How-To: Remove your harmonic balancer

Post by rt_neon04 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:45 pm

Yea today i gave it about 4 hrs with regular mechanic tools and wow wat a pain in the ass...i still havent put it on, and tommorow im taking the car to my mechanic to put it on.The altenator belt is the one that is messing me up. I cant get the danm belt off..HELP
04 Dodge Neon R/T (SOLD)
04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 (STOLEN)
05 Cobalt SS/SC (SOLD)
04 Dodge Neon SRT-4

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:41 pm

REMOVAL
POWER STEERING PUMP AND AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR BELT

Using a 17 mm wrench, rotate belt tensioner clockwise (Accessory Belt - Removal) until belt can be removed from power steering pump pulley. Gently, release spring tension on tensioner.
Remove the drive belt (Power Steering / A/C Belt).

GENERATOR BELT
Remove power steering pump/air conditioning compressor drive belt.
Loosen generator locking nut (Generator Belt Adjustment).
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Remove accessory drive belt splash shield (Accessory Drive Belt Splash Shield).
Loosen generator pivot bolt (Generator Belt Adjustment).
Loosen generator adjusting bolt until generator belt can be removed (Generator Belt Adjustment).
Remove generator belt.

and then for the crank pulley, carefulley do as the pic shows.....

If you dont understand what the pic is showing, then dont try doing it yourself. I did not have the proper tools to do the above so a TECH at work did it for me and had everything done in less than a half hour...cost me roughly $35

ilpadrino
2GN Member

Post by ilpadrino » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:48 pm

On paper it sounds do-able. But yeah, didn't have the pulley remover or pretty much anything else lol. I brought it to one of the guys on the boards, and he did it for 20 bucks. I gave him 5 extra though for good faith lol

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:53 pm

thats cool, its always nice to have contacts like that. Did you finally get your pulley on?

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:09 pm

brr how'd the tech get yours on? (i have the same one as you) we might be doing my install this friday (udp,cam,exhaust/header) and we're thinking of heating up the center piece with some torches (unorthodoxracing said this is doable on their pulleys)

but my buddy is a firm believer in just slap it on and we tighten down the bolt.. but i dont want to do that =p since thats what he does.. granted he runs 13s in his sohc 1g.. but i think he's lost count as to the times hes pulled his motor for work
12 Subaru WRX hatch - #notadowngrade
04 Neon - #base2SRT #24NAprojectgoneSRT
03 Subaru Forester 2.5XS - #gfscar #butiown
06 Subaru WRX STi - #traded4hatchback12WRX #gone
98 Neon R/T 2.4L Turbo Coupe - #7yearproject #SRTified #megasquirt
http://www.st1ck3rs.com
http://www.detroitneonowners.org

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:32 pm

he used the DCx puller above(common puller) and then used a pulley installer, no heating freezing..nothing...typical pulley procedure..

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 pm

hrm ok thanks

DJ CptnCrnch
2GN Member

Post by DJ CptnCrnch » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 pm

yeah i got a pulley puller from some auto store around here...pulled it off, put it on...took me about 20-30 mins
-Matt-
04 Black SXT
AEM intake, MPx underdrive pulley, MPx throttle body, Prothane Motor Mounts , Mopar short throw shifter Eibach lowing springs, Mag Intake Manifold, Mopar 3D Taillights, Mag head, Comp 400 cam, FF LTH. All this work and I'm still slow...time to find another car
BB PIN: 317CEE50

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:35 am

DJ CptnCrnch wrote:yeah i got a pulley puller from some auto store around here...pulled it off, put it on...took me about 20-30 mins
ditto... no power tools either.
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

shneeko
2GN Member

Post by shneeko » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 pm

whats a good way to loosen up the belts?

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:37 pm

shneeko wrote:whats a good way to loosen up the belts?
are you serious? perhaps you shouldn't attempt to change your pulley... just have a shop do it for you :D
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Nah, the belts are probably the 2nd hardest part. Im guessing you got the tire off, car jacked, and the sheild off? Yours 1/3 the way there! :D Anyways, the ALT belt is 3 bolts to loosen. First bolt is right next to the stock pulley. It pivots on this bolt... just loosen it a bit. Second bolt is the hold-down for the adjustment bolt, located on the side like the pivot bolt, but higher up on a bracket. After you loosen that a bit, the adjustment bolt. This is a VERY long bolt located on the rear of that bracket (easiest to climb on the valve cover basicly to reach). Loosen that... every turn will loosen the belt just a hair. Loosen till you can pull it off. Did you manage to get the AC/PS belt off?
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

ilpadrino
2GN Member

Post by ilpadrino » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:25 pm

Just an aside:

We also heated up the pulley. I brought my trusty toaster oven with me (since his was busted lol) and in his garage, we heated the pulley at 400 degrees for like 10 minutes. When he put it in, it just slid right in. He said if it wasn't heated, there woulda been some serious resistance.

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:45 pm

ilpadrino wrote:Just an aside:

We also heated up the pulley. I brought my trusty toaster oven with me (since his was busted lol) and in his garage, we heated the pulley at 400 degrees for like 10 minutes. When he put it in, it just slid right in. He said if it wasn't heated, there woulda been some serious resistance.
Yup.. heating it expands the pulley since it's a press fit application so it doesn't turn on the end of the crank. It's also held on with a bolt which you can tighten when it's hot to pull on all the way. Once it cools, it contracts onto the end of the crank making a tight fit. In no way would I install it cold as you could do some damage to the pulley trying to use the bolt to draw it onto the end of the crank.

You can use an oven or a torch to heat the pulley enough to make it slide on easily. After it cools you can put the belts on and do the finishing touches.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

shneeko
2GN Member

Post by shneeko » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:34 pm

dblsg wrote:
shneeko wrote:whats a good way to loosen up the belts?
are you serious? perhaps you shouldn't attempt to change your pulley... just have a shop do it for you :D

Well, I just wanted to double check it on first before i do it this weekend. I figure its better to be safe than sorry.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:50 pm

the sad part is the EBAY pulley I had installed, the tech said it was cake work...he used the proper tools and there was no problems,binding or what not...what so ever. No heating ...nothing...

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:25 am

I used anti-seize on both my installed on 1st and 2nd gen... it not only keeps any heat/friction from binding the aluminum to steel, but it also acts as a lubricant! My 2nd gen went on easily with no added heat. Just tapped it with a rubber mallet in the middle a few times and the bolt caught the rest, pulling it on. My 1st gen, however... I beat the living fuck out of the pulley and it still wouldnt get on enough. 350* for 8 minutes and pounding the hell out of it some more... finaly got the bolt to seat on there. Been around 500-1000 miles now (dont drive that car much) and it seems to be holding up fine (no damages to seals or bearings thus far! *sigh*)
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

Floyd
2GN Member

Post by Floyd » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:51 am

Ya i tossed mine in the oven for 20 minutes on 375 and then it slid right on.

Although my dad looked at me funny when i was "baking" my pulley :lol:

dawm
2GN Member

Post by dawm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:26 am

unorthodox also recommends you put ice on the crank to cool (contract) it, and heat the pulley, it should slide on no problem. thats what we plan on doing today :)

Kevin_GP
2GN Member

Post by Kevin_GP » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:23 am

I heated mine up and it slide right on. My puller was a pain in the ass to use though.

Return to “HT Engine”