Locked ignition cylinder

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
red2k2rt
2GN Member

Locked ignition cylinder

Post by red2k2rt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:33 am

Well this is the newest problem with this car. Any thoughts on how this can be fixed without having to replace the entire lock cylinder? Before anyone asks the ignition cylinder wouldn't budge even with the steering wheel loose so its not the steering wheel in a locked position. I tried my original keys thinking it was my new spares. No dice. I haven't gone back out to toy with it since getting it towed home from the gas station yesterday morning. To damn cold. I unfortunately had to run out and put a down payment on a new/used VW Jetta because this is the 10th time I've missed day of work cause of this car and I can't risk losing my job over it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 am

What year is the car. 5 speed or auto. .

caustic neon
2GN Member

Post by caustic neon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:09 am

THIS HAPPENS ALOT, DO YOU HAVEA HEAVY KEYCHAIN OR LOTS OF KEYS ON YOUR KEYRING?

TAKE OFF THE PLASTIC COVER FROM THE STERING COLUMN ()2 SCREWS ON THE BOTTOM) ONCE THAT IS OFF GET SOME PB BLASTER OR WD-40 AND SPRAY IT DIRECTLY INTO THE LOCK, SOAK IT THEM INSERT YOUR KEY A FEW TIMES, IF THAT DOESNT WORK SPRAY IT AGAIN AND LET LT SIT .

ONCE ITS LOOSE PUSH UP ON THE RELIECE BUTTON AND REMOVE THE LOCK CYLINDER AND SOAK IT IN PB BLASTER FOR A FEW HOURS OR TAKE IT TO A LOCK SMITH TO BE CLEANED.

YOU CAN ALSO GET A HOLD OF BRR AND SEE IF HE CAN GET YOU A NEW ONE ALREADY KEYED TO YOUR VIN
Bacon is a Vegetable

Neons owned
2003 Dodge SXT (MAGGIE) = Dead X 3
1997 Dodge Highline DOHC coupe = Sold
1996 Dodge sedan (Baby) SOHC = Sold
1996 Dodge espresso coupe SOHC (Stella) = Dead
1998 Plymouth ACR------- more to come

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 pm

[quote="Caraudioholic24"]What year is the car. 5 speed or auto. .[/quote]

The car is a 5 speed. But its since been replaced by an Audi A3 so the car is currently parked till I have time to sort out the ignition cylinder issue. Tapping the key while its in the ignition allows it to turn a few times but then it locks up shortly after.

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”