HOW TO: separate and wrap your sunvisor's

skaterking411
2GN Member

HOW TO: separate and wrap your sunvisor's

Post by skaterking411 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 pm

This is my first how to so I will do the best I can. I have wrapped my sunvisors before but cracked one of the mirrors reassembling them. I grabbed another from pullapart for cheap and decided to put this together. If this has been covered feel free to delete it. I never found anything like this to help me.

Here is the final outcome:

What you need:
-fabric of your choice
-spray adhesive (i just got a small can from parts store)
-a few screwdrivers
-clamps
-scissors
-xacto knife or similar

1. remove your sunvisors out of your car or grab so from junkyard and rip the oem fabric off. doesnt take much effort.

2. start prying apart the 2 halves. put the screwdriver in the split and just start prying and twisting the screwdriver. you will hear pops and cracks but that is just them separating.

3. you will have to work it a little but it will all come apart. here is what you will see. pull the hinge deal out.
pull the pin out and plastic piece. when prying apart 2 hooks on this mite break but you will live

4. Now cut your fabric out. Leave extra around the edges.

5. Clear out a spot that is clean. Lay the fabric down, and lay the bare visor with the outside up.

6. Apply a coat of spray adhesive on both the fabric and the visor. Let them get tacky. Then fold the visor back up, avoid touching the glue as much as you can. Take the edge that is folded up and put it down onto the fabric. If you have a pattern pick out a straight line to line up the edge with.

7. Next go ahead and lay down one side without pushing just so it sticks. Then pull the other half of the fabric over the visor and smooth it out. Flip over the visor and smooth out the first side.
Open it back up and this is what you will see.

8.nowtrim all the excess off but leave 1/4-1/2" so you have enough to fold over but not cover the spot that will be glued.
On the side that has the flap deal trim it so when its folded over it looks like this.

9. Make a pass with the spray adhesive around the edge so that it gets the fabric and plastic.
Let this get tacky and fold over the edges.

10. Take your knife and cut slits in the mirror opening and pin opening. Cut slits towards the curve like in the picture so that the fabric can fold over.

11. Go ahead and use the spray adhesive and get the plastic and fabric. Once tacky, fold over and stretch so the curves are nice and tight :thumbsup:

12. Once its all dry, put the mirror, pin thingy, and hinge back in. You may have to move hinge around to get it around the fabric when folding it up.

13. Now take you super glue and run a bead on one half along everywhere that you can see was split when you split it in half. I used this glue:

14. Fold back together and put an old shirt or something over the visor then use your clamps to clamp it down.

15. After it is done drying take the clamps off and enjoy.

skaterking411
2GN Member

Post by skaterking411 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 pm

mods can you move this to how to interior. i thought thats where i posted it. lol

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

SWEET! Doing this as soon as I figure out a new colour/pattern
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Very nice write up!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Nice work!
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 am

i tried this with gorilla glue.... i failed epicly....

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

xbrandonx
2GN Member

Post by xbrandonx » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 pm

great write up, will be doing this myself!.. would it look/feel a bit better if there were a little bit of cotton or foam inside?
--Brandon

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 pm

xbrandonx wrote:great write up, will be doing this myself!.. would it look/feel a bit better if there were a little bit of cotton or foam inside?
LET'S HAVE A PARTY! A sunvisor wrapping party.. I'm redoing mine soon. Going this weekend to look for a new pattern
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

skaterking411
2GN Member

Post by skaterking411 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks for the comments guys! I wouldn't personally use any foam backing. Would probably just make it more complicated than I would care for it to be lol

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:56 pm

I believe a while back you had asked me how I opened up my visors and I don't think I ever helped you out. I wanted to apologize for that and congratulate you for doing a better job with your visors than I did with my own, and for putting together a writeup for the forums. I'll actually be referring to this how-to when I redo my visors. Good job!
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

R/Tjoe
2GN Member

Post by R/Tjoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 am

where was this thread a year ago when i did mine!! lol completely ruined mine trying to do this and have been visorless ever since. great write up!

now does anyone have visors they want to sell??? lol

Progress log if interested:
viewtopic.php?t=57806&highlight=

SleepySRT4
n00b

Post by SleepySRT4 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:26 am

Very nice writeup! This will be much needed here in about a month. Thank you very much!

Return to “HT Interior”