How-To: Clean your engine bay (tire shine method)

Nick Drake
2GN Member

How-To: Clean your engine bay (tire shine method)

Post by Nick Drake » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:52 pm

I know this subject comes up every once in a while so I figured I'd do a little write up on it.

Ok, first off you'll want to get yourself:

-sponge
-paper towels
-Foaming Tire shine, I used Meguiars Hot Shine
-soap and water
-access to garden hose
-plastic bags

First get the sponge good and soapy and start wiping off the dust/dirt off the various plastic and metal parts and the bay itself. Paying some attention to the battery, and coilpack.

Then I dry the battery, coilpack, and fusebox with a paper towel and cover them with plastic bags.

Hose the engine bay down. No need to go all fire-hose on the baish, just a gentle spray.

Take the plastic bags off, then close the hood and drive the car around the block or just let it idle to speed up the drying process.

Open hood and spray everything down with the foaming tire shine. While you're at it you can spray the grill down too, that looks pretty nice as well. Close the hood and let the car idle again (maybe like 5-10 minutes).

Then when you open the hood, and wipe off any leftover tire shine if there's some left. Your engine bay will look like new. If you feel uncomfortable idling the car with tire shine on the engine you can just let it dry, but I've never had a problem and I've done it many times.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
kc2002acr wrote:because if I was racing you at a 60 roll, I would have been in second for a second till I hit 3rd, then I would have called you on my cell phone and asked you if my taillights were all working. :rofl: ;) :D

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:17 am

That's incredible! I'm concerned about leaving the tire shine on with the heat generated by an SRT... Any thoughts on this?
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:57 am

^^^
It'll just burn off since your really not supposed to coat the exhaust when you do this...

scneonchic
2GN Veteran

Post by scneonchic » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:16 pm

hmm...im still kinda hesitant to try...but maybe i will one day :lol:

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 pm

I do it any chance to clean my car and I never had a problem yet :wink:

TheNumberOneD
2GN Member

Post by TheNumberOneD » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:44 pm

hmmm...... i always just bought the whipes.. and thats it.. lol

you don't need, water paper towels or anything, just alot of the whipes... and it comes out, just as good..

try it sometime the whipes don't leave any fuzzys, any anything, and after most the armor all wears off, you can use it like a wet rag to get any dirt off your tower strut, or whatever.. .works perfect..
~Daniel

'2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4

bad04srt
2GN Member

Post by bad04srt » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:11 pm

TheNumberOneD wrote:hmmm...... i always just bought the whipes.. and thats it.. lol

you don't need, water paper towels or anything, just alot of the whipes... and it comes out, just as good..

try it sometime the whipes don't leave any fuzzys, any anything, and after most the armor all wears off, you can use it like a wet rag to get any dirt off your tower strut, or whatever.. .works perfect..
but the wipes only get into places your fingers can reach

sxt42uner06
2GN Member

het

Post by sxt42uner06 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:43 am

No No No NO noooooooo Never ever ever i mean ever put any kind of tireshine that contains silicone anywhere near heat.. I have detailed for almost 3 years now i watched some random noob literally douse a car in tireshine and i told him to take it easy a very little is fine but you have to let it dry before driving it long distances and little behold the car was back less than 45 minutes later and yea service paid for a new harness cause it burnt to a crisp. Also ive heard of this happening a few other times.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:50 am

Okay, now I'm scared... :shock:

sxt42uner06
2GN Member

hmm

Post by sxt42uner06 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:49 am

Did u use it already if you did you should be fine its only when its still wet that its flammable

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:40 pm

No, I hadn't tried it yet but I am compiling ideas about how to really clean the car before the trip to Carlisle. I don't think a Car-B-Que would be helpful in that area. :lol:

blazesxt
2GN Member

Post by blazesxt » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:48 pm

When i first got my car the idiots at the dealership put wayy too much tire shine and fucked up my harness. I had to get it replaced thru warranty. Take it Easy with tire shine there buddy.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:14 pm

I dont use tire shine that contains any silicone so im not in that loop :)

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:08 pm

I don't use tire shine. I do the following:

rinse with water, spray degreaser or simple green and set for 3-5 minutes, then rinse with high pressure washer but don't pull the trigger. let dry then shoot all over the bay with white hyper dressing for detailers and let set. the dressing I use helps clean, protect, and condition belts and hoses. haven't had a problem either and looks really good. Use nothing with silicone!

koreysxt
2GN Member

Post by koreysxt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:14 pm

I never spray any water under my hood. I never let it get that dirty:) I'll first use an APC (All Purpose Cleaner). Then spray Stoner Trim Shine on all the plastic/rubber. The strut bar gets a nice alluminum polish. and I'm done.
Traded 05 SXT mtx, for new 07 Fusion SE I4 5A.

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Post by KrackstaR » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 pm

i use tire shine too the non foam kind and works perfect, well thats what i used to use but now i use wax and crome cleaner.
Bella Lugrossi wrote: there's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory. ;)

opyr8yr
2GN Member

Post by opyr8yr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 am

I've had upwards of 15 trucks/cars/motorcycles (combined) and I have ALWAYS used the tire/engine stuff at the wand wash followed by a good rinse and trying to avoid the stuff you don't want wet, works everytime. Do it when the engine is hot and it will all evaporate when the car is parked.

Also, on our cars don't be afraid to take the wand to the bottom of the hood, it really gets that white filmy shit off...

Say what you want but this is the fastest & easiest method..

Return to “HT Miscellaneous”