How-To: Multifunction switch re-wire for fogs

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:23 pm

rice_eater wrote:did you check that one of the relays didnt go bad or is unplugged?
not sure if this was meant for me, but the standard neon fogs only function when on low beam. i am still using my stock mfs with my srt fogs.
ooh...there's a glimmer of the dream left!!!

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:36 pm

SGT BRAD wrote:does this mod also allow you to run fogs and high beams together? i have an srt front swap with the piaa d/l and wish i could run them along with the high beams when i'm out in the country. thanks.
Yes this switch mod does allow you to run your fogs with your high beams. If you jumper pins 13 and 19 like in the how-to, your fogs are now connected to a full-time 12V lead rather than just a low-beam 12V lead like stock. When you switch your fogs on, they're on regardless of whether you have just ambers, low beams, or high beams.

This is a great mod and I'm glad I finally got a chance to do it.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:46 am

if i jumper 13 to 19 with my stock mfs will i be able to run the fogs and high beams? sorry to highjack the thread. thanks.
brad

rice_eater
2GN Member

Post by rice_eater » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:05 pm

SGT BRAD wrote:
rice_eater wrote:did you check that one of the relays didnt go bad or is unplugged?
not sure if this was meant for me, but the standard neon fogs only function when on low beam. i am still using my stock mfs with my srt fogs.
yeah but all that means is that there's signal coming to the foglight relay to put them on when the low beams are on... on daytime running lights models there's yet another relay inline that gets continuous power so keeps the fogs always on

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:21 pm

SGT BRAD wrote:if i jumper 13 to 19 with my stock mfs will i be able to run the fogs and high beams? sorry to highjack the thread. thanks.
brad
Almost sure you could.
Jon J.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:10 pm

I run my fogs/driving lights almost 90% of the time with this mod Vs running my headlights all the time. Ive had this on my car for almost a year without any problems.

tooslow
2GN Member

Post by tooslow » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:51 pm

hey dude I have one somewhere it does not have fog light control but I am 110% sure it works you pay shipping and it is yours
ms powered 03r/t turbo

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:59 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:I run my fogs/driving lights almost 90% of the time with this mod Vs running my headlights all the time. Ive had this on my car for almost a year without any problems.
Amen bro. It's great for driving to work early in the morning when it's just light enough that you still want them on.
Jon J.

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:03 pm

thanks for the heads up guys. i'll dig into this soon. i don't really care about running without my lights on, but i do want the driving lights and high beams. will post how it turns out.
brad

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:13 pm

with this mod you can turn on the fog lights anytime, low beam,high beam,No beam.....

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:55 pm

As for the method of cutting the pink & green / purple & white wires and switching them, I just tried it in my SXT and it works great. I have pictures of the process- maybe we could compose a more simplified How To in it's own thread for others to follow. Images:

Access to fuse box

Do NOT remove these screws, as I figured out by trial and error.

THESE are the correct screws to remove in order to gain access to the wires to cut.

Fuse box pulled out.

Pull back the wrap and remove the electrical tape.

Cut and strip the PINK / GREEN wire...

...Then do the same for the PURPLE / WHITE one.

After crossing the wires and taping it all back up, this is the result when the headlights are turned two clicks (1- Parking, 2- Is now FOGS).

Look closer and you can see that the headlights are not on, but the parking lights and fog lights are.

Just a shot to show the unmodified switch. Notice that it is turned on to what is normally HEADLIGHTS, but the FOG LIGHT indicator is lit up on the cluster.

Also, my [ headlights + door opened = chime ] still works.

http://kctrio.com/john/7%2029%2007%20Fo ... thumb.html
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:04 pm

maybe we could compose a more simplified How To in it's own thread for others to follow
Not a bad idea, especially since this topic is 2 years old and I have since lost all my documents on how to do this...

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:02 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:Pics will be up later, but....
YES it will work!!!!!
I will be installing it into my car tonight when I get home from work. There is only one draw back though...
The PT cruiser uses a larger Hazard button than a neon wich means.....

1 - You either have to swap the hazzard buttons between switches(pain)

or

2 - Purchase either:
SC06XDVAC - Dark Slate $18.25list
SC06WL8AC - Taupe $17.50list
These are the upper shroud part numbers for the PT wich will accomadate the larger hazzard button.....
That its...oh...the PT mulitfunction switch runs $$74.60list price...
I'll get pics posted as soon as I do the install....
:withstupid:
Dood im jealous of how resourceful you are. I guess it doesn't hellp um used to the POOR a$$ area of SouthWestern Pennsylvania either, right! lmao

Thanks for the redirect dood, this is a future reference, I'm broke right now... =( SH***T![/u]
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]
Formerly Of Warner Robins/Bonaire, Ga
aaaw no son, not a bacon slice!!

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:53 am

No problem...
As for swapping the switch buttons, its notreally that bad if you take your time. As for pictures on the setup, I have rescently aquired my old DVD back from California, it was sent there for data recovery and I personally have recovered more files off the disc than they did, so hopefully I might be able to dig up the old photos...

neongirl87
2GN Member

Post by neongirl87 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:04 pm

I have a 03 sxt and i am wanting to add foglights and hids to my car, my question is, I want the foglights to turn on with the blinker lights and then when i switch to headlights the headlights and fogs will turn on , is this possible?

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:27 am

So you want:

* ambers + fogs
* ambers + fogs + headlights

Would you ever want to have just ambers, or just regular headlights? I ask because if you want your fogs on all the time (other than when the switch is off), then you wouldn't even need a fog-light specific switch to do that. Pretty simply actually.
Jon J.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Just wire a relay into the parking light output.

Assuming you meant that vs the signals. :lol:

The parking light voltage will switch the relay. The relay will handle the fog light load and not melt your MFS. Just power the relay switch (fused) direct to the battery. The relay coil powered from the parking lights.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

neongirl87
2GN Member

Post by neongirl87 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:59 pm

lol yes that's what i meant, parking lights

so when i turn the switch to parking lights, those would come on as well as the fogs, then the last click would have the parking light fogs and headlights

thanks for the help! learning new car vocab each day =)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 pm

If that's all you're looking to do, then you can do that with your existing switch. Super easy. Get a single-pole automotive relay (4-pin) and wire it like this:

Pin 30: +12V battery
Pin 85: Ground
Pin 86: +12V from parking lights
Pin 87: +12V to fog lights

Make sure you don't accidentally wire pin 86 to the + side of the directionals. You'll have quite a rave in the front of your car if you do that!
Jon J.

neongirl87
2GN Member

Post by neongirl87 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:22 am

jonnymopar wrote:If that's all you're looking to do, then you can do that with your existing switch. Super easy. Get a single-pole automotive relay (4-pin) and wire it like this:

Pin 30: +12V battery
Pin 85: Ground
Pin 86: +12V from parking lights
Pin 87: +12V to fog lights

Make sure you don't accidentally wire pin 86 to the + side of the directionals. You'll have quite a rave in the front of your car if you do that!
thanks! ;)

Return to “HT Electrical”