got mom a car.

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

got mom a car.

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:20 pm

95 Highline with bubble caps! SOHC with 143K miles, new water pump, timing belt, head gasket, fuel pump, struts, tie rod ends, control arms, tires, and AC compressor, all with receipts within the last two years.....Paid a grand for it! BUT, I did have to drive 3 hours to the middle of the boonies to get it on gravel roads with a slammed car on extreme performance summer tires.....less then fun. She drives and shifts great and had plenty get up and go but is not the prettiest skittle in the world. Figured I'd share.

Chasing her home....

ALSO.... my buddy who went to pick it up with me having too much fun and my car being all jelly in the background.

I brought it home and started to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Got it new wiper blades, oil change supplies, motor flush, new fuel injector gaskets, a bottle of lucas fuel treatment, and some fresh 4 gauge copper stock and lugs new battery terminals, and a few odds and ends. Gonna rework the car a bit and hopefully mom will be set for a while. What do you guys think?
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Another 1GN lucky enough to find someone who will care for it. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

neongirl87
2GN Member

Post by neongirl87 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:53 pm

cars being rescued are always good stories =)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:52 am

Automatic? Nice pickup. Good to know that maintenance has been done to it. :) I love my 1gn coupe. They are such fun cars to drive.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks guys. Yes it is an automatic but, mom can't drive stick so it works for her. The car needs some love and I will make sure it gets it. All in all the car drives great and runs smooth. I know its gonna get WAY better gas mileage then her current 2005 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L V8 (main reason I went for a neon) so her wallet will be happy with it. One less 1gn ending up in the scrap yard prematurely and that makes me happy. Thanks for looking guys :thumbup:

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:19 pm

but is not the prettiest skittle in the world.
I don't see any glaring rust issues, so that makes it mighty pretty in my book!

Should get ~30mpg maybe better. I suspect our '96 got the DOHC ATX along with the DOHC bottom end, thus why it is a bit of a dog, and it is probably hurting fuel mileage too, as the engine has to struggle more. It can muster 30 mpg, so provided this one has all the correct parts, it should do a bit better.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:06 am

Yeah its not too bad. there is some surface rust but no serious holes or craters yet. gonna sand it down in those spots and hit it with some rust saver primer then buff the whole car. I hear ya about the power and mileage. My old 98 sport was a DOHC auto and was completely gutless (probably due to the high revving nature of the DOHC and the low rev limited auto shift points) but it did get almost 30mpg. This SOHC seems to have a little more step in her pants and hopefully will get even better mileage. Will probably end up making a project log just for this car in the future.

Also OD.......where are those wiring updates you promised on your 1gn Hmmm? lol

Thanks for the input guys!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:19 am

:lol:

viewtopic.php?t=67975

Post 6 sort of killed my free time. Nothing like crap happening to annoy you before going to Carlisle. Not to mention sucking up funds. Better now then there tho. :D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 am

OUCH that sucks man.Go the -AN route. I work for O'Reillys now and worked for AZ before. Honestly, I think Autozone has the best parts and the worst employees... (most of the guys I worked with back then couldn't tell their ass from a whole in the ground) The current employer seems to have the best prices and the worst parts but, somewhat knowledgeable employees and Advanced seems to be somewhere in between lousy workers and mediocre parts. Thats just my personal opinion from the local to me stores. Glad to hear you got it somewhat back together again though!

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:46 am

D-Railed_Neon wrote:Yeah its not too bad. there is some surface rust but no serious holes or craters yet. gonna sand it down in those spots and hit it with some rust saver primer then buff the whole car. I hear ya about the power and mileage. My old 98 sport was a DOHC auto and was completely gutless (probably due to the high revving nature of the DOHC and the low rev limited auto shift points) but it did get almost 30mpg. This SOHC seems to have a little more step in her pants and hopefully will get even better mileage. Will probably end up making a project log just for this car in the future.
My 99 DOHC is still auto. If you keep it above 2500-3000 RPMs acceleration seems decent to me. But then that kills your city mileage. I usually get upper 20s in the city and low 30s on highways.

But keep us updated with a log. It looks like you found a decent car. Most 1gn neons I see driving around here are neglected and in pretty bad shape.[/quote]

Return to “Picture Post”