2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacuum leak behind HVAC? Video added

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Passt
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Vacuum leak behind HVAC? Video added Reply with quote

I've had a vacuum leak for a while (car idles @ -15vac), and I've heard what I thought was some air behind the HVAC system in my SRT. Today I popped the bezel off to take a closer look, and the air noise is much louder. I don't see anything immediately noticeable or out of place, but at the same time I'm not sure what everything is supposed to look like back there. Here are a couple pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tePk_1noas4&feature=youtu.be

In the second picture, there is a 3rd clear rubber / plastic nipple that looks like something should be plugged in there, can anyone confirm this? Or if anyone has any experience in general behind the hvac controls and knows if there's some sort of vac line running around back there, the help would be much appreciated.
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas? Someone on Srtforums stated there's a vacuum line that is supposed to connect to the control which allows me to choose between outside air and circulated air. Can anyone confirm?
mexiCAN
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SE

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nate, heres a link to help you out wat it looks like behind the dash

http://www.hpaircraft.com/neon/heater_core.htm
Jenni
aka Legoman
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4
ICQ Status:

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third nipple should be empty. Looks all good in your pictures.
Follow the lines if they are broken anywhere.
Could it be the boost gauge vac line?

Click here to see all my modifications
for sale: UNIQUE 10.2" in dash tft screen radio bezel
Passt
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the boost gauge line, that's all the way to the left in the A pillar now. Thanks for the reply Lego Smile
Violently it changes
2011 Bronze Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would check to see if those lines are cracked anywhere. You can take your dash pad off and see where they go. Its easier if you take the vent tunnel out of the dash as it just pulls out with a little finesse. Plus you will be able to get your hand back there a lot easier to feel for any leaking air.

Hope that helps.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on how the vacuum switch works, but have you tried to see if that open nipple is sucking air? If the switch is bad, it may leak through that nipple.

I'm only guessing it is to vent atmospheric pressure back in once the vacuum is switched off. Just a shot in the dark...

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Passt
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem. The leak is coming from that little black piece that the red and black hoses connect to. I did check to see if that third opening was the issue, but alas, it was not. I ended up capping the line at the brake booster. I can no longer switch between circulated air and outside air, but who cares. Not me Very Happy
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I was close! Laughing

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Moved: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:35 am by Danteneon
From General 2nd Gen Discussion to Interior
chip0wa
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be the same on a regular neon? Just curious because with the old car after sitting for a couple months starting it up there was definitely an air type noise coming from the vents. It would go away when accelerating, then once you shifted and were crusing at speed it would come right back.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference, as far as the HVAC controls. The benefit is the vacuum leak will make noise, so tracing the lines should lead you to it eventually.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Interior All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: