2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 Neon SXT - Clunking and Chirping from Rear End

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizey93
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: 2004 Neon SXT - Clunking and Chirping from Rear End Reply with quote

Hey all,

So my 2004 SXT started a loud clunking and chirping noise when I am going down the road at any speed. Clunking is only when I hit bumps, chirping is constant and it's the single most annoying noise I've ever heard. I had my rear struts replaced about 5,000 miles ago so Im fairly confident that has something to do with it but I dont know. Anyone else run into this/know what to do?

Thanks!
fargo59
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a rear strut mount go and it was insanely annoying. like a clunk/chirp while driving. do yourself a favor and pull back the carpet to look at the strut tops. now bounce the bumper up and down. do either of the struts move around much?

edit:

i know you said that you dont think it was a strut, but mine were just a year or 2 old. so it caught me by surprise when it went.
Lizey93
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly it. A loud clunk and a constant chirping. I will go check the strut tops next time I go out to my car. Thank you for the suggestion!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the upper strut mounts weren't replaced with the new struts, it could very well be the mounts. The fresh struts would cause worn/old mounts to begin clunking. The worn out struts probably didn't put too much force on them, so they may have been to that point...

If they were replaced, but were off brand, they can go bad pretty quickly, even Mopar ones have been known to begin clunking with very little miles.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
fargo59
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly. mine were carquest aftermarket ones. *I THINK* what happened was they twisted inside when i torqued the strut in, tearing what little rubber isolator was in there. either that or the horrible speedbump sized frost heaves in I-81 finally got to them. lol.
Lizey93
n00b

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I hate sending my car to the shop. Turns out they didnt replace my back left strut last spring...only the right. Back left strut is totally shot - doing it myself this weekend. Thanks for all the advice tho!
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are going back to that shop to get a refund after they created a safety hazard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: