2000 Neon mtx swap

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
Plymouth_LX_Neon
n00b

2000 Neon mtx swap

Post by Plymouth_LX_Neon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:38 pm

I have a 2000 Plymouth neon, 2.0 automatic with the chipped key, I just bought a 2000 dodge neon 2.0 5 speed that I believe had the chipped key too, I'm thinking of I basically swap the entire sub frame, computers, ignition switch etc. It should go without a hitch. Is there anything I might be missing I should know?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: 2000 Neon mtx swap

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm

You'll have to swap out some wiring too. Stuff for the clutch switch(es) and back up lights vs the Park/Neutral/Reverse light switch.

No need to swap the subframe, unless it's rotted out.

If you so swap the subframe, may as well swap the front knuckles and steering gear for a bit tighter turning radius. On 2gn neons, those are different between ATX and MTX cars.

Be sure to mark the position all the way around to get it close.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Plymouth_LX_Neon
n00b

Post by Plymouth_LX_Neon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm
You'll have to swap out some wiring too. Stuff for the clutch switch(es) and back up lights vs the Park/Neutral/Reverse light switch.

No need to swap the subframe, unless it's rotted out.

If you so swap the subframe, may as well swap the front knuckles and steering gear for a bit tighter turning radius. On 2gn neons, those are different between ATX and MTX cars.

Be sure to mark the position all the way around to get it close.
That doesn't sound too bad, I was doing a little thinking on it and I'm thinking it might be just as easy keeping my motor in and swapping the stuff with it in the car, or even if I pulled the motor but just kept my subframe in place so long as they're the same. My only concern with it was that some information I'd seen was showing that mtx neons had a torque damper the atx ones didn't but that was on 1st gens which I'm sure are quite different. But I have noticed there's very little information to be found on 2nd gens as far as this swap, everything I found was on ones around model year 96, that being the case I might try and keep this updated on my progress or any problems I may encounter so it may help someone in the future

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Overall, a 2000 isn't much different than a 1st gen, as far as swapping transaxles go. Since you have a 2000 donor car, you won't have the issues of trying to use a 2001 up set up. 2000 is unique in a few ways, from 2001 up. It's kind of a blend of 1st gen tech, and 2nd gen tech.

Clutch pedals are a 2000 MY only item. The wiring is 2000 MY only. So you are fortunate to have that 2000 donor car.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Plymouth_LX_Neon
n00b

Post by Plymouth_LX_Neon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 am

So far I have everything but the pedals out of the donor car...I think

Return to “Drivetrain”