2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick Feedback? =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2005.Neon.SXT
Semper Fi
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Quick Feedback? =) Reply with quote

Sup guys! I still mosey around on here from time to time since I don't have a FaceBook, and I see there's still a bunch of you still active anyway.

So we were going to get rid of my car and get a '02 Impreza wagon to get something more practical yet fun to drive, but the guy had changed his mind at the last minute and didn't want to sell it. So, my wife is ok with us just keeping the Neon, but I did explain that if that is the case then there are things that need to be done as my car is probably at or over 200k (switch gauge clusters, so I don't remember actual mileage... and I am not paying $150 for the dealer to read that from the PCM).

Anyway, got some questions regarding the suspension. I am wanting to get everything freshened up prior to get brand new tires installed and the car aligned. Here's what I've got listed, and I'll go from there.

(These are being purchased from Modern)
Struts
Springs
Lower Control Arms (bushings preinstalled)
brake pads & rotors

So, a couple questions here... how do you know if the strut top hats are bad? Is it worth it to spend the money to get those replaced? My car doesn't ride horribly bad for having stock, factory struts with Eibach Sprotlines.

For daily driving it, I was going to get the KYB struts and the Pro Kit, as opposed to Sportlines (that I have on my car now). Would this be a comfortable combo?

Lower Control Arms: regular bushings or prothane? Price isn't an issue, but what is the difference in ride and life that would justify an extra $450 for the pair?

Tie rods I can get from our local parts store for super cheap, so that's what I'm going to do there.

Are there bushings on the front swaybar that need to be changed also? Endlinks or whatever? I'm not well versed in swaybar parts and components.

If there's any other parts regarding the suspension that I've missed, let me know. Just wanting to freshen the car up since we're going to be keeping it longer.

Thanks for reading my stupid, long post!

Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... Sad
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick Feedback? =) Reply with quote

2005.Neon.SXT wrote:

Lower Control Arms: regular bushings or prothane? Price isn't an issue, but what is the difference in ride and life that would justify an extra $450 for the pair?

Are there bushings on the front swaybar that need to be changed also? Endlinks or whatever? I'm not well versed in swaybar parts and components.

If there's any other parts regarding the suspension that I've missed, let me know. Just wanting to freshen the car up since we're going to be keeping it longer.

Thanks for reading my stupid, long post!

I am doing the same to my car this spring. I am going the coilover route (I think haha).

Anyway, there are bushings on the front sway bar that connect it to the frame as well as to the control arms (endlinks). These are easy to do since you will be there while replacing the control arms. For the control arm bushings, Moog makes a new spherical bushing that replaces the rear control arm bushing. I have not driven with it in but they are a MUCH better design than any rubber bushing. I would lean in that direction if I was you. You could buy new control arms on rockauto and press these new bushings in for short money (compared to Moderns).

Good luck.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
2005.Neon.SXT
Semper Fi
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into the price difference, but I was wanting the pre-installed bushings because I don't have the tool to press the old ones out and new ones in. It would be much cheaper and makes a lot of sense to do it that way... I've just heard horror stories about getting the bushings out and I wanted to avoid that lol.

thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my front control arms with Moogs (not the new design though as they did not have that at the time) and got the entire control arm since I did not want to mess with replacing the bushings myself either. It is not much more expensive to go that route.

When I replaced my shocks I kept the top mounts in the rear. My car is close to 200k miles as well. Shortly after that the top mounts failed and I had to go in there again. If I had to do it again I would just replace the top mounts right away.
2005.Neon.SXT
Semper Fi
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when the top mounts fail? I'm just not aware of what symptoms the car will have when that happens. Regardless, I agree with you on doing them anyway while you're in there replacing that stuff.

timmyw28
2GN Registrant

2000 Plymouth Neon LX

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced my control arm bushings. I took a torch and burnt the bushings out. Without taking them off of the control arm. Cuz I had to reuse the outer shell. Its really not that bad if u have access to a torch. I used the energy prothane bushings
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya on the pressing them out. I am currently in the process of doing that. I bought the moog control arms last year and the rear lower bushings are already bad ( I was lowered though). From what I have read, the prothanes don't hold up to well either which is why I went ahead and bought the new and improved Moog design. If you wait long enough, Moog might start selling the complete control arm with the new bushing design. I think they do already for the 1st gen so it is only a matter of time.

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
thomas_w
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2005.Neon.SXT wrote:
What happens when the top mounts fail? I'm just not aware of what symptoms the car will have when that happens. Regardless, I agree with you on doing them anyway while you're in there replacing that stuff.

In my case it made a lot of clunking noise. Essentially the metal sleeve the strut's top goes through came disengaged from the surrounding rubber. I suppose eventually it may all just fall apart which could end up being rather dangerous. Just to be safe I put the spring compressors on before I even took anything apart.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas_w wrote:
2005.Neon.SXT wrote:
What happens when the top mounts fail?

In my case it made a lot of clunking noise. Essentially the metal sleeve the strut's top goes through came disengaged from the surrounding rubber. I suppose eventually it may all just fall apart which could end up being rather dangerous. Just to be safe I put the spring compressors on before I even took anything apart.

The fronts are the ones that have potential to give you some serious grief. The bearing can disintegrate, making steering difficult.

The rears will mainly just clunk and rattle. 1gn's could eventually pull apart, but 2gn's are a bit more durable, as far as that.

If rust is an issue in your part of the world, they could collapse.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: