2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brake Rotor and Caliper interchange

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #31   PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPL Neon wrote:
theguyver007 wrote:
Do 2000 + Calipers and rotors fit 1995-99 neons ?

This never did get answered. I'm actually wondering about the other way, 00+ with first gen rotors and calipers (weight savings)

They will 'bolt ON', but the threading for the brake hoses (1st gen vs.2nd gen) is different.

For example:
To run 2nd gen Calipers, on a 1st gen Neon, with 1st gen Neon brake hoses, will require red-drilling and re-tapping the caliper, to accept the larger 1st gen Neon brake hose thread.
(Unfortunately, I do not remember what thread tap size I used.)

IF you do this, be sure to re-drill the calipers 'squarely' and not off-kilter, so that the copper washers will seal the hoses properly. (Copper washers won't seal the hoses if they're seated 'cockeyed'.)

Based upon actual experience. thumbup

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SPL Neon
2GN Registrant

2008 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #32   PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot. I was going to be putting 1st gen calipers on a 2gn knuckle. So the fitting would be too small in that case Sad
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #33   PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy 1gn brake hoses. The end that connects to the hard line is still going to be the same thread. IDK that 1gn calipers are enough of a weight difference to make it worth the trouble. The 2gn calipers will work fine with the 1gn rotors.

The rotors are probably going to be the bulk of the weight savings anyways.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
SPL Neon
2GN Registrant

2008 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #34   PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on. What I'm doing is pulling the NSRT4 Brakes off the PT GT to save weight, I have a tremendous amount of First gen parts so just wanted to go the easy/least expensive way LOL. Any guesses on the weight differences between the NSRT4 Brake set up vs the Base brakes?
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #35   PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Just buy 1gn brake hoses. The end that connects to the hard line is still going to be the same thread. IDK that 1gn calipers are enough of a weight difference to make it worth the trouble. The 2gn calipers will work fine with the 1gn rotors.

Think I'd rather go with some aftermarket SS braided brake hoses, in that case.
The mounting brackets and mounting blocks for the banjo bolts on the 1st gen vs. the 2nd gen front brake hoses are different enough, that 'adapting' them to fit to the other gen, would be a Headache. I've thought about trying that, and compared the two side-by-side, and decided that mounting 2nd gen front brake hoses on a 1st gen Neon, isn't worth the trouble. (At least not to me.)
If anyone has done this, I'd like to see some pictures of what they did to make 'swapped' factory brake hoses workable.

Since most aftermarket SS braided hoses don't have factory mounting brackets (not the ones that I have seen, anyways), those become a 'non-issue'.... Kind of.
This way, you could specify whichever 'generation' of braided brake hose, is needed to work with the caliper (1st gen vs. 2nd gen) you are working with.

I have run 2nd gen rotors on a 1st gen Neon.... With 'used' brake shoes.
Trying to fit the 2nd gen rotors on a 1st gen Neon, with NEW brake shoes, could pose a problem, since they usually have too much material to allow the rotor to work with that caliper.
(Some new pads might be thin enough to work, but I haven't done any trial and error sizing.)
That being said, 1st gen rotors on a 2nd gen, will work just fine. thumbright

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NeoN
n00b

Post: #36   PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To replace 'Metric' calipers with 'standard' ones will require drilling out the banjo fitting on the end of the brake line, to 7/16" (a fraction over 11mm). Make sure you get the swarf out!
Make sure any replacement banjo bolts are 25mm/1" long.
The 'standard' caliper thread is 7/16-20UNF, the 'Metric' is M10x1 (superfine).
Metric calipers are at a premium in the UK (probably most remanned ones are 1GN), so I used 'standard' ones and 'adjusted' the banjo fitting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: