2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rebuilding front end - because k frame rot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packfan88
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding front end - because k frame rot Reply with quote

2002 neon with 68k miles

I picked up a new k frame for it today. $107 including tax. Zero visible rust and looks straight.

So, since im going to tackle this job im looking for advice on 'might aswell' parts since i have to basically disassemble the whole front end. Ive done this kinda job on a camaro so im not scared.

Parts i plan to replace while i have it apart.

1) assembled control arms with ball joints and bushings
2) front struts
3) sway bar end links
4) engine and tranny mount (4pcs total)
5) tie rods

Anything else i should order from rockauto? Id like to make one order.

Here is the deal. This car is going with my daughter to college 900 miles away. I wont be there to fix what could go wrong. Id like to do as much as i can before she takes it to school.

Im also thinking of doing the timing belt and water pump cuz i heard i can expect it to crap out around 75k.

Ive done the brakes, plugs, wires, flushed rafiator, new thormostat, radiator cap.

Anything else you guys can think of?

If you recently did any of this work and have part numbers off the top of your head id appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Timing Belt Tensioner as well.

There is an excellent 'How-To' on Neons.Org:
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=185472

Besides the timing belt tensioner upgrade -- You'll want to pay attention to any possible differences between the inner timing belt cover vs. later years.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: