2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screeching under throttle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Screeching under throttle Reply with quote

Recently I've been hearing this screeching noise which I thought was my belts, seems to be coming from my intake. When the throttle plate opens I can hear this screech which eventually disappears when the plate fully opens. It is extremely annoying and I can't figure out where exactly it's coming from. It's coming from the plate or back because I took off my K&N setup and I still heard the noise. Any ideas?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a stock throttle body?

The Jeep TB's will whistle when they are bored out to a true 60mm. But that is usually just the first bit of throttle opening.

Possibly the TB needs cleaned. Enough gunk in the IAC passage might create a whistle effect, like blowing across a bottle's neck.

Another slight possibility is there small vacuum leak that is creating the sound as air passes by the surfaces of the leak. At WOT there is very little manifold vacuum, so that would explain why it diminishes the more the throttle is open.

It could also be the PCV valve, or the air make up tube to the back of the valve cover being restricted somehow.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Donkeypuncher
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my TB has a slight whistle at part throttle, you're probably hearing the same thing.
bshenanagins
n00b

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I used to only just hear the whooshing sound from the intake which I liked but this irritating screech is something that has only gotten worse. I was thinking it was some sort of leak as well. In addition to this my acceleration has been pretty awful. Off the line it will not jump like it used to, it's very sluggish and it's as if the engine is trying to catch up with my accelerator. I thought it was my oil covered plugs which I changed this morning along with the valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals. I didn't notice much of a difference. When I accelerate the intake has a very deep tone and it sounds like it's struggling until the engine finally catches up with my pedal and then accelerates. I don't want to keep throwing parts at it, my guesses are coil pack and wires, fuel pump, intake leak. Any ideas? Would a leak in the intake cause such a drastic bog like that?
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bshenanagins wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I used to only just hear the whooshing sound from the intake which I liked but this irritating screech is something that has only gotten worse. I was thinking it was some sort of leak as well. In addition to this my acceleration has been pretty awful. Off the line it will not jump like it used to, it's very sluggish and it's as if the engine is trying to catch up with my accelerator. I thought it was my oil covered plugs which I changed this morning along with the valve cover gasket and the spark plug tube seals. I didn't notice much of a difference. When I accelerate the intake has a very deep tone and it sounds like it's struggling until the engine finally catches up with my pedal and then accelerates. I don't want to keep throwing parts at it, my guesses are coil pack and wires, fuel pump, intake leak. Any ideas? Would a leak in the intake cause such a drastic bog like that?

Are you still running the factory 'bellows' tube ?? Think (The one attaching the throttle body to the intake manifold)
I have read of one user on this board, who's bellows 'collapsed' internally -- And blocking airflow.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: