2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog Replacement Tie Rods: Can't screw them in far enough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Moog Replacement Tie Rods: Can't screw them in far enough Reply with quote

As the title says, I cannot screw the driver side moog tie rod replacement in far enough. I went to get an alignment and they couldn't get in it any further (due to the tie rods design (well they did which will probably make the fix harder)). My question is, can I cut the threaded rod on the inner tie rod 1/2" or so so I can have further adjustment or is there another tie rod with a longer threaded section?

Picture of alignment sheet:

Thanks,
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=66496
sidepipe87
boom! roasted!
2009 Silver Contributor

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused why they won't work if they are the right part... your sig says 01 R/T is that the correct car? The outer toe rods may differ based on model since the knuckle steering placement varies between models. It sounds like you have the wrong tie rod ends... that said, you may be able to thread the inner tie rod more with a thread die. To me the bigger question is why isn't the tie rod end correct?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner tie rod lengths vary also.

From what I am seeing for aftermarket replacement, they only have the MTX ones shown as less than 7/8" longer.

Mine appear to be a bit more than an inch longer. I didn't think to measure the difference, or if I did I forgot it.

I actually had to go with Moog ends because I had this problem with the tie rod bottoming in the oem end.

Tolerances, and how well the sub frame/crossmember is centered, can cause this.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Gnuserup
LE, R/T, SXT, SRT
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the same problem as I had with an aftermarket part (but not a Moog),

but only on the drivers side.

Cut it or change the inner as well.
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and images!

I guess I will end up cutting it. I am really disappointed as I thought this would be as simple as taking off the old tie rod and putting on another. I guess it is another weekend project. bandhead

2001 r/t
silverneontuner
S256!
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an aligment technician i have seen this happen before, the rack and pinion was not centered on the steering shaft thus leaving one side out of adjustment.
r/tguy02
I piss excellence
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ this most likely

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverneontuner wrote:
as an aligment technician i have seen this happen before, the rack and pinion was not centered on the steering shaft thus leaving one side out of adjustment.

Wouldn't that be as simple as removing the tie rod from the knuckle, straightening the wheel, and re installing the tie rod. Wouldn't an alignment tech fix this issue?

2001 r/t
ducktapetg
2GN Registrant

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up cutting .75" off the end of the tie rod. It aligned perfectly! Thanks for all the input

2001 r/t
apl_9@hotmail.com
n00b

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Inner tie rods varying lengths Reply with quote

I just came across the same issue.
There are different inner tie rod lengths make sure you don't throw out the old part and compare both to make sure they are identical.... What a PITA it was to get it aligned... bandhead
But is it all good now..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: