2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

srt4 vs PT GT power steering pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wasiesto
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: srt4 vs PT GT power steering pump Reply with quote

hello,

i must buy a srt power steering pump,

can you tell me, in pt cruiser gt and neon srt4 power steering pump are the same?
wasiesto
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you help me?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=62020&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

dawm wrote:
Remember I'm 2.4L and using the PT side mount plate, If I had the SRT side mount plate I would have just went with the SRT pump & SRT reservoir.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING!!!! LOTS OF PUMP INFORMATIONS Razz

The 2.0L, SRT and PT pumps are actually different in many ways. The PUMP itself is as far as I can tell the same, but how far the pulley sticks out from the pump and how the pumps bolt up to the brackets are very different. After removing the reservoirs you cannot tell the difference between them at first glance but once you compare the how outward the pulley is or the bolt holes you start to see they are different.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PT and 2.0L pump mount in the same orientation, bolt holes at 6, 9 and 12 (like hands on a clock).
----------------------------------------------------------------
PT Pump's bolt holes are not threaded (Threads are in the side mount plate)
2.0L Pump bolt holes are thread on both sides of the pump, I even drilled my 2.0L pump holes all the way thru thinking it would bolt up like the PT pump which it did but the pulley is way way off. So now my 2.0L pump has no threads for the mounting bolts.
SRT pump mounts with the bolt holes at 5, 7 and 10 (2 holes are thru and one is threaded)
And bolting it up to my PT side engine mount bracket tilts the reservoir quite abit forward

SRT and PT pumps have the pulley farther out where as the 2.0L pump pulley actually rubs/sits on the belt tensioner.
I cannot use the 2.0L pressure line on my 2.4 since there is no room between the side engine mount plate and the timing cover like there is on the 2.0L SOHC. I haven't taken new pictures but I made 2 custom brackets to route the return line over the side engine mount plate and keep it secured. I have SRT P/S lines but they're beat up, and the SRT cooler is beat up and doesnt bolt to my K-frame so I'm going to keep the 2.0L cooler which is why I'm running the return line over the timing side so that it hooks to the cooler without doing some wacky loops behind the motor.

My setup is:
SRT Pump
2.0L Reservoir and return line (3/8 heater hose)
PT pressure line
PT P/S Bracket (on the Block)
PT Side Engine Mount Plate

If I had an SRT side engine mount plate I would have just ran the SRT pump and lines but why spend $30~ for another chunk of metal when I have stuff that just needs to be tinkered with to work Razz

2000-2005 2.0L SOHC Side Engine Mount Plate:

PT Side Engine Mount Plate:

SRT Side Engine Mount Plate:

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
v793jt0
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have to do any modification to tie the hoses to the rack? would srt4 hoses match up with sxt rack secind gen?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would srt4 hoses match up with sxt rack second gen?

Yes, the connections to the steering gear are the same on all 2gn neons.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
v793jt0
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh ok i must be missing a piece from the srt4 pump hoses as it did not seem like it would conect to the rack but i shall look more into that.
fixit
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the both pt/srt reservoirs will fit the pump, you have to use the respective reservoir to fit around the intake manifold
srt4 reservoirs are hard to find..
v793jt0
2GN Registrant

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh maybe phrased this wrong let me try again... So currently i have sxt rack and pinion and sxt pump and hoses .. and have srt4 pump with broken pulley and hoses that seem to be incomplete as they do not seem like they would conect to the rack and pinion. My concern is in the connection to the rack and pinion which seems like they are all similar other than the ratio and tie rods based on earlier replies, which leeds me to believe i must be missing part of the hoses from the srt4 pump and hoses.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more clear: Do you have an SRT swap, you are trying to use with the SXT rack and pinion?

If yes, then you will need the SRT pump and pressure line, the return you can fab from appropriate brake line tubing and rubber hose. But if you can use the SXT return, or have the SRT return, that works too.

In general, the SXT lines will not work with the SRT pump. (I think you know this) Only the connections into the rack itself are the same.

At least I believe they are. I don't recall reading anything to the contrary, only the ratio and inner tie rod differences. But even regular neons have inner tie rod differences, between MTX and ATX.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
fixit
2GN Registrant

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock auto lists the high pressure lines as a different part number for sxt and srt
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should hope so, as they are different. Laughing

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: