2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to id springs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
francisrizzo
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: how to id springs? Reply with quote

I'd like to replace the front struts on my '02 R/T with SRT4 struts because of the additional tire clearance the SRT4 struts provide. If I do that, I need to put SRT4 springs on it also to avoid raising the car (by putting the R/T springs on the STR4 struts). So, my question is, how can I id the various types of springs at a swapmeet? I've looked for spring specs but can only find the spring rates (150 for R/T and 170 for SRT4)...

Does anyone have sets of SRT4 and R/T springs (not currently mounted on their car) that they could measure the height for me?

I'm also wondering if ACR struts and springs are the same as SRT4 struts and springs (to minimally expand my search window)?

thx!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRT springs won't really matter. The higher rate wll still make your R/T sit possibly higher than using the R/T springs. The SRT springs are a higher rate, in part, to offset the added weight of the 2.4, and the T850 transaxle.

There are ACR's and SRT ACR's, just saying. ACR's are basically the same as R/T's, just with less options.

I have SRT springs on SE struts. The car sits pretty much like a regular neon, maybe not as high in the rear, but rides much firmer due to the spring rates.

So as you can see, you will sit higher with the SRT struts/SRT springs, unless you go with first stage lowering springs. You may be better off just sticking with the R/T springs.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
francisrizzo
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was thinking that the SRT springs had a shorter static height then base/RT springs because the SRT spring perch base was higher than the one on a standard Neon strut for tire clearance. But if you're saying that the SRT springs have the same height at the base/RT springs but just a higher spring rate, then if the SRT springs might raise the car using SRT struts wouldn't using stock R/T springs on SRT struts raise the car also? Sounds like what I actually need are drop springs with about an inch drop to offset the raised spring perch on the SRT strut.

And thanks for the info on the ACR vs SRT, I always ASSumed that they would have the same suspension setup due to the intended agressive cornering nature of the cars...
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know how the free length of the springs compare, but it rally doesn't matter much. I do know that SRT rear springs have less coils than SE springs, probably why the rear doesn't sit up like a cat in heat with SE struts.

All you can really do is set a day aside, and swap springs around to see how it sets. I would get a digital angle finder, and record the camber at each strut before beginning, and adjust the camber back to that to preserve your alignment as much as possible. As long as you don't mess with the tie rods, you should be good.

You can get decent digital angle finders for ~$20 - $30.

A bone stock R/T vs a bone stock SRT, an R/T would probably have the edge in handing. Both have dumbed down steering. (Slower ratio)

But the R/T has a bigger sway bar, and less mass to control.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
francisrizzo
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to set a day aside and install both and compare, but I only have the R/T springs (currently in use, not on a shelf to measure), and that's why I was originally hoping that someone had a set of SRT springs and a set of R/T springs sitting on a shelf that they could measure the height to compare them...
Thanks again for the info.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all I can find: SE on the left, SRT on the right, rear springs side by side.

As you can tell from the other pic, the rear sits pretty much level to the front. But the front doesn't sit any lower than the SE/SXT springs.

Edit:
Fronts - SRT on the left

Mounted on SE strut side by side

SRT spring on the right:

Really no change at compressed free height. The strut full extended length is no shorter, and the added spring rate keeps the car at about the same level.

But raising the spring perch is certainly going to lift your R/T no matter what oem spring you go with, unless it is perhaps 1st gen high rates. But I don't think you can get those new from the dealer anymore.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: