2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bolt On Mods For Easy Power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeonLove129
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Bolt On Mods For Easy Power Reply with quote

I have a 2002 ATX neon sxt model and am looking for ways to make easy power. What kind of bolt on's or "plug and play" parts should I get to make more power?

I'm thinking the usual, I/H/E. Ebay header, exhaust and intake, a cold air or a short ram.

Is there another ecu or tuning device I can plug in to make more power? Gas mileage wouldn't hurt either.

Down the road though, I would like to get into some heavy mods like building engines for more power, like a 2.4 swap or something NA. Or if I could turbo a 2.0 that'd be sweet too . I just need to know how to tune it.

As of now I don't know what kind of intake manifold or exhaust I need to use, or even what PCM to run. Its all foreign to me, and this is the first domestic I've ever had. Lol
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory exhaust flows well enough that a header won't make much difference. The only "performance" manifold from the factory, or otherwise is the Magnum IM. You could $pend for an All Motor Mike unit, or similar, but they won't be worth the gains you will see with the ATX, and mostly stock engine. Most are made for the upper rpm ranges, so you won't benefit much.

Keeping it N/A, the biggest power adders would be going with a Comp Cams 400 cam, Magnum springs to go with it, and a Magnum head/header. This combo has been used with an ATX with decent success. Granted, a 5 speed will always beat the ATX for power to the ground, but you have to start somewhere.

If you feel creative, search "ghetto blaster" for a manifold. With the ATX, you want to keep the runners as long as possible.

Something like this old pic of mine in the mock up stages:

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
NeonLove129
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of PCM management system would I have to use if I got the comp cam ?

I seen how you raplace the cam .. seems daunting compared to my old honda. Someone said that this car is easy to work on but I really don't think so after read this lolhttp://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=14888

My old honda all you had to do was losen the timing bolt, remove the top timing cover, and then the valve cover and rocker arm. LIterally an hour job.

Seems like if you wanna replace the cam you may as well replace the whole engine too, haha.

And really, a ghetto blaster? Lol sounds like crack blaster more like it. Like crack head engineering. I mean the plastic instake, that metal one looks nice. I've heard ppl tell me never to use jb weld on your engine so I think that's out of the question. And I can't weld so no metal one for me. But how much power does that really add, the plastic one I mean., lol..
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Weld? There is no JB weld in that IM. it's called Plastic Weld Epoxy. 5000 plus psi tensile strength.

That IM has many years, and 100,000+ miles of use on it. It has endured some pretty harsh backfires due to a bad TPS.

It has had the tie bar/radiator smashed against it, and it has never cracked. Try that with an aluminum IM. Those don't flex back into place.

As far as power gains, with your attitude towards plastic, I guess you'll never know. Laughing

The advantage with plastic, (or sheet metal) ghetto blaster is you get rid of the bottle neck that the factory IM has at the inlet.

A bigger TB is limited to the actual air flow because the factory opening in the IM isn't much bigger than ~56mm. Might be why a lot favor a 55/56mm TB over a 60mm.

Plastic doesn't conduct heat like aluminum does. Plastic weighs less. Plastic is smoother on the inside...

Any mods that make higher RPM power that you can gain by porting an aluminum IM, will make your ATX car pretty much worthless for DD use. Are you going to drive around at 5000 plus RPM all day?

You have to think more of what power you can make at the average RPM use you currently have. Even with an MTX this is important. But being the ATX is a bit more limited in the RPM band, it is more crucial. There aren't many options for the 41te as far as higher stall converters. And zero affordable options.

Without rpm to get the car into a higher power band, any serious mods are just going to make your car fall on it's face until you get over 55 mph, or more. Sure it might do 130 mph, after about 10 minutes.

Stock PCM will run a Comp 400. It is the biggest cam you can run with the factory PCM. anything bigger will require a rev limit above 7200 rpm to be of any use.

By the time you spend to make a bigger cam work, from engine management to MTX conversion, you could be well on your way to boost, with very good driving manners, and far more power.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: