2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how important is caster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirvaliant_98
NET Customs
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: how important is caster? Reply with quote

Well i just got my car aligned after putting the dropzone n1 on. everything came out in the green except my caster on the front. the specified range is 1.60 to 3.60 degrees, mine is left front 3.75 and right front 3.97 and they couldnt do anything about it. I asked them what this would affect. they told me shouldnt really affect wear on parts but it could fight with the handling. anyone have an experience with alignments and caster. any info would be great.

nathan
Diablo0
Bird is the word
2GN.org Owner/Admin

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This help you out?

TireRack wrote:
Caster

The caster angle identifies the forward or backward slope of a line drawn through the upper and lower steering pivot points when viewed directly from the side of the vehicle. Caster is expressed in degrees and is measured by comparing a line running through the steering system's upper and lower pivot points (typically the upper and lower ball joints of an A-arm or wishbone suspension design, or the lower ball joint and the strut tower mount of a McPherson strut design) to a line drawn perpendicular to the ground. Caster is said to be positive if the line slopes towards the rear of the vehicle at the top, and negative if the line slopes towards the front.

A very visual example of positive caster is a motorcycle's front steering forks. The forks point forward at the bottom and slope backward at the top. This rearward slope causes the front tire to remain stable when riding straight ahead and tilt towards the inside of the corner when turned.

Caster angle settings allow the vehicle manufacturer to balance steering effort, high speed stability and front end cornering effectiveness.

Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. Positive caster also increases tire lean when cornering (almost like having more negative camber) as the steering angle is increased.

What's the downside to positive caster? If the vehicle doesn't have power steering, a noticeable increase in steering effort will be felt as positive caster is increased. Other than that, the effects of positive caster are pretty much "positive," especially increasing the lean of the tire when the vehicle is cornering while returning it to a more upright position when driving straight ahead.

familycar.com wrote:
When you turn the steering wheel, the front wheels respond by turning on a pivot attached to the suspension system. Caster is the angle of this steering pivot, measured in degrees, when viewed from the side of the vehicle. If the top of the pivot is leaning toward the rear of the car, then the caster is positive, if it is leaning toward the front, it is negative. If the caster is out of adjustment, it can cause problems in straight line tracking. If the caster is different from side to side, the vehicle will pull to the side with the less positive caster. If the caster is equal but too negative, the steering will be light and the vehicle will wander and be difficult to keep in a straight line. If the caster is equal but too positive, the steering will be heavy and the steering wheel may kick when you hit a bump. Caster has little affect on tire wear.

The best way to visualize caster is to picture a shopping cart caster. The pivot of this type of caster, while not at an angle, intersects the ground ahead of the wheel contact patch. When the wheel is behind the pivot at the point where it contacts the ground, it is in positive caster. Picture yourself trying to push the cart and keep the wheel ahead of the pivot. The wheel will continually try to turn from straight ahead. That is what happens when a car has the caster set too far negative. Like camber, on many front-wheel-drive vehicles, caster is not adjustable. If the caster is out on these cars, it indicates that something is worn or bent, possibly from an accident, and must be repaired or replaced.

^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sirvaliant_98
NET Customs
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so from reading this, i would gather that since i am in positive camber this is actaully a good thing. so positive caster is just that, as it says above a positive thing. thanks for the reading info diablo
Diablo0
Bird is the word
2GN.org Owner/Admin

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it...

No problem

^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Insanerb25
Fresh Fish

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Caster Angle Important Reply with quote

your caster angle provides greater straight line tracking but removes any steering response.
Check out more
http://www.bvmotorsports.com/caster.html
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! Shocked
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 11 years.....

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: