2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loss of pressure after changing pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickeytopher
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: loss of pressure after changing pads Reply with quote

So I changed the pads last night on the wife's 02 Neon took it for a test drive everything worked fine, she went to her friend's house last night everything worked fine. Then today she went to run some errands, and nothing. She babied it back home I had her check the fluid and she made it seem like there was nothing left. I didn't notice any leaking around the calipers, I didn't think to check the break fluid, but I didn't think it was necessary after test driving it.
mickeytopher
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I did some investigating, and turns out all of the brake fluid from the MC reservoir wound up on top of the transmission, by the bell housing. So I looked, and looked and you would think with that much fluid going to one place in such a short time, over that distance there would be brake fluid on other things. So confusing
mickeytopher
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is what I'm thinking caused the rapid loss of brake fluid, and the surface rust on the right front rotor. There is a line that runs off of the master cylinder, along the firewall, to the right front wheel. I'm guessing after compressing the caliper it some how blew a hole in the line causing the fluid to go where it went, also resulting in no pressure to the right front caliper.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or when you were compressing the caliper pistons it overflowed, and it then became low enough to get air in the MC/lines.

Unless the lines are really rotted and rusty, you won't blow the steel lines by compressing the caliper pistons.

The rubber hoses to the caliper would blow first, and even them it would take some really rapid compressing of the caliper piston.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
mickeytopher
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything suggesting that the master cylinder overfilled, and for all the brake fluid to end up by the bell housing makes me think that it was a section of line. I'm going to confirm to night or tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: