2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.0 stroker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleeper2gn
2GN Registrant

2000 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: 2.0 stroker? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about possibly boring and stroking my 2.0... I was wondering what provisions I'd have to make. I'd imagine that with a better set of injectors, an MSD ignition system and iridium plugs, it would be okay? Also do any vendors still make a stroker crank for 2.0's? possibly a Mitsubishi vendor?

2000 Dodge Neon ES. (Brnin8r)
1995 Plymouth Neon LX (sent to grave)
2001 Plymouth Neon (organ donor)
"Hondas are so reliable!"
"why is it that you've killed three Hondas in the time that I've owned one dodge?"

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #143
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly bigger injectors are probably all you will really need. The factory ign. system will handle plenty more than a few cubes. You will spend way more than you want to even get to 2.4 liters, and those run just fine with the factory coil. There is a reason it cost twice as much as an MSD coil. It is more than twice as reliable.

At the most, you will probably be fine with '97 - '99 DOHC injectors. Those are 21lbs/hr @43 psi, 24 lbs/hr @58 psi. They work just fine in my 2.4 swap.

FWIW, SOHC 2.0's do well with the 19 lb/hr injectors for almost anything you can throw at them in N/A form. There is plenty of fuel there. So the DOHC's and maybe a Walbro/SRT pump should be fine.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
SGT BRAD
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy my 2.6 Stroker motor and have Howell send you a flashed pcm. I will sell you more motor than you can handle for less than 2k.
Brad
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy coming out of the woodwork Bat Man!

Nice to see you drop in!

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
SGT BRAD
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Hey guys. Honestly I still love my neon. I could kick Darrell cox in the teeth for destroying the wiring like he did. Unfortunately owning a business and the time it consumes precludes me personally finishing the car. Everyone else that has touched the car has made it worse and cost me more money. I am either going to,part it out or store it for a day when I can rebuild it. Fwiw I have a 911 and a Mercedes Slk and still wish I had the neon. It was more fun than either of my Porsches.
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGT BRAD wrote:
Laughing
Hey guys. Honestly I still love my neon. I could kick Darrell cox in the teeth for destroying the wiring like he did. Unfortunately owning a business and the time it consumes precludes me personally finishing the car. Everyone else that has touched the car has made it worse and cost me more money. I am either going to,part it out or store it for a day when I can rebuild it. Fwiw I have a 911 and a Mercedes Slk and still wish I had the neon. It was more fun than either of my Porsches.

High Praise indeed !! Shocked (For some people who still think the Neon doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever). Very Happy

Back on Topic:
There are different 'schools of thought' regarding boring out an engine, today.

In the 60's and 70's, this was an accepted, common practice.
Today, boring out a modern 4-cyl. engine -- In an attempt to increase displacement and power -- Is not recommended. The reason for this, is that today's modern, lighter, and thinner-walled blocks, will lose rigidity from the removal of too much material. (Less rigidity = more cyl. wall 'flex' = more blowby = less sealing = less power.)
Today's school of thought, is that properly round and straight bores, are the best for maximum power.

If boring out is to be performed, because of an out-of-spec condition, such as taper wear or out-of-round, then use of a Torque Plate bolted up to the block during the boring operation, is essential. (This was a technique endorsed by Smokey Yunick back in the day, when some considered it overkill.... back in the 70's.).

If you think about it, the 2.4 was really the factory version, of a 2.0 'stroker' engine, just as the MoPar 440-V8 was essentially the 'stroker' version of the 383.
Just like the 2.0 DOHC and 2.4 DOHC....The 440 and 383, shared the same cylinder heads.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: