2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neon spraying smoke on accel and low oil 700mi before 3k

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Neon spraying smoke on accel and low oil 700mi before 3k Reply with quote

Thinking it's time for a complete rebuild. I've done the head plenty of times but never touched the bottom end on my 04 motor. Just wondering what all I should look for. #1 I will be getting a catch can but doubt that will stop the smoking. Really wanting some higher compression pistons and rods but budget is tight. Should I just get rings and bearings then hone the walls out lightly? Or should I just get a PT 2.4L and call it a day keeping my magnum as a backup?
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going the rebuild route, have the block inspected to be sure a hone is all it needs. Then order some 2.0 DOHC pistons, and have them installed on your rods. This will yield 10.3:1 compression.

But that by itself probably won't give you the same power the 2.4 will. But remember without adding some $$ to the 2.4, it isn't going to make power past ~4500 RPM like the 2.0 does. The 2.4 makes more, but falls off after 4000 to 5000 rpm.

In stock form, the 2.4 is more like a diesel power curve compared to the 2.0. That's about the best analogy I can come up with.

Finding used cams that don't need a piggyback controller to make full use of them isn't easy either. You see Stage 4's for sale every now and then, but not much that is a step or two above 2.0 cams.

A pair of DOHC cams new isn't cheap.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow okay didn't know all of that. I can see you kinda leaning to the 2.0. And I'd love to try and keep this block if it's good. I've already had the head milled down to its limits. That with the port matching I did to it and my intake manifold, along withe the comp 400 it feels good and at 5k really great. I want to keep my sohc purely for its feel. I just haven't been in the lower end at all.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2.4, but the difference in how the two engines act in the RPM windows takes a bit to get used to. If you love winding out your 2.0, then you probably won't like the 2.4, until you add some more camshaft.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can understand what you mean by that OD. I know they can be torque monsters that will take getting used to.

Back when I had an 04 RT syked tune I had about the same feeling(int and exh only). The torque was nearly identical to power(numbers wise) that I'd love to get back. Especially after everything I've done since then.

So I will look for some 2.0 Dohc pistons and new pre-gapped rings. The rods should hold their own for a while. Boost has been removed from the budget for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: