2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'04 SXT Shuttering on accel, exhaust popping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: '04 SXT Shuttering on accel, exhaust popping Reply with quote

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've posted but ive ran into an issue recently. I'll start by saying the car is entirely stock with the exception of a 69 Series Typhoon downpipe intake (by K&N) and some audio mods.

Manual Tranny. 2.0 SXT.

The car shutters whenever im below about 4k RPMs, and accelerating, It usually doesn't happen if i keep my throttle below 50%. The car (Specifically motor and exhaust pipe) also shutter the same way when i turn on my A/C Or Heater. But i feel it may be an exhaust issue because there are holes all along my resonator and i've read about intakes requiring an exhaust otherwise there is a bad Air/Fuel mixture. It seems to be getting progressively worse because now, even at 80 MPH in 5th gear it is shuttering on any sort of accel. which should be a safe RPM range even if theres a weird mix. Any help would seriously be appreciated guys!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By they way sometimes when i dump the clutch there is a popping sound (One single bang) underneath the engine somewhere, it's in front of, or right below the firewall.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mileage?

How old are the spark plugs and wires?

As long as the holes are after the catalytic converter, they will not affect the A/F ratio, since the o2 doesn't see the air being mixed with the exhaust. Yes holes let air in, as well as out.

Have you checked for codes? Is there a CEL?

A cam position sensor can also cause those symptoms before it sets a CEL.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Mileage?

How old are the spark plugs and wires?

As long as the holes are after the catalytic converter, they will not affect the A/F ratio, since the o2 doesn't see the air being mixed with the exhaust. Yes holes let air in, as well as out.

Have you checked for codes? Is there a CEL?

A cam position sensor can also cause those symptoms before it sets a CEL.

So, im at 195,000 Miles. There is a code P0303. Which is a misfire on Cylinder # 3. The spark plugs i replaced at 115k. So they could be starting to choke up, im not sure. What about that pop under my hood, that sounds like it's about where the manifold is. :O
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible IM backfire?

When my plugs were worn, I would get intake backfires when the throttle was pressed suddenly.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bcCzfjFG6pemEwVVlzdE5talk/view?usp=sharing[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bcCzfjFG6pQkgtQkhOaWN6M2M/view?usp=sharing[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bcCzfjFG6pOEJ1SmJ5eUY0Q2c/view?usp=sharing[/img]/

In the first picture you can see my Cylinder 3 Spark tube is seriously brown compared to the others, and in the second picture there is a pressure line that goes from the IM to the motor on the right side, and it's covered in gunk. Also, in the 3rd image it's hard to see, but it almost looks like a crack in my IM. You think this could be the source to my issues? Im fairly certain my CAT isn't broken although i don't have a lift to examine it thoroughly. Thanks a lot for your help man
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it BTW!
It was the wires and spark plugs, and im sure that there is a few minor vaccuum issues, but oh well. Thanks for your advice she's purrin' like new even at 200k Very Happy
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbup

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: