2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
05SilverSXTNeon
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

So. I recently bought an 05 neon sxt, with 53000 miles. And now I've been having a few issyes that I hope can be helped.
1.) P 0481, so far I've changed the rekay, and amp, so my guess is the fan assembly sensor. Both fans always run.
2.) Warm A/C. I'm assuming is related to the P 0481, but could be wrong. Could be that its losing pressure. The compressor, or the clutch.
3.) Rough low idle. This is very odd. Car has t be warmed up, and upon idling, only in drige, 3rd, or 1st, it will do it. The idle drops to around 550 rpms, and thecar shakes worse than usual (Aftermarket Motor Mounts) I've cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body, IACV.
4.) Odd grinding fron front, while reversing slowly. Pretty sure car just needs new pads, which I can do.
5.) Car shifts hard inti 4th. Could be leaky solenoid, or else the fluid needs to be changed.
Please give me any suggestions. Thanks!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing the fan relay. If the fans do not stop when the relay is pulled, they have been jumper'ed some how.

The low idle may be from the fans pulling amps from the alternator.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Reply with quote

05SilverSXTNeon wrote:
So. I recently bought an 05 neon sxt, with 53000 miles. And now I've been having a few issyes that I hope can be helped.
1.) P 0481, so far I've changed the rekay, and amp, so my guess is the fan assembly sensor. Both fans always run.
2.) Warm A/C. I'm assuming is related to the P 0481, but could be wrong. Could be that its losing pressure. The compressor, or the clutch.
3.) Rough low idle. This is very odd. Car has t be warmed up, and upon idling, only in drige, 3rd, or 1st, it will do it. The idle drops to around 550 rpms, and thecar shakes worse than usual (Aftermarket Motor Mounts) I've cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body, IACV.
4.) Odd grinding fron front, while reversing slowly. Pretty sure car just needs new pads, which I can do.
5.) Car shifts hard inti 4th. Could be leaky solenoid, or else the fluid needs to be changed.
Please give me any suggestions. Thanks!

I am thinking CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) circuit. Think

I have had this happen a couple of times, on my '98.

When the PCM cannot "read" the CTS properly, it has no idea what the engine's operating temperature is. Is it 'cold' and warming up just after start-up?? Or fully-warmed up on a hot summer day in TX. ?? etc.
Chrysler engineers designed the software in such as way, so that if the PCM cannot get a proper 'reading' of the CTS, it will *assume* the engine is fully warmed up (as opposed to cold, or warming up)... As the 'Default' mode.
The reasoning is that -- If the PCM were to *assume* the engine was not at full operating temps..... The fans would never kick on.... Leading to eventual overheating and possible engine destruction. Exclamation
So, they made the 'fully-warmed up' mode, the *default* setting.

When a problem with the CTS causes the PCM to have to go into this 'default' mode.... It will *assume* the engine is fully-warmed up, and kick on the fans... Even when the engine is still 'cold' and just warming up.
* * Another "side effect" of this 'default' mode, is that the PCM will adjust the Fuel Trims to that of a fully-warmed up engine. (In other words, much leaner.)
This, will cause the rough idle and 'stumbling'. Exclamation In really bad cases, the engine will start and then stall almost immediately, because the fuel trims are too lean to keep the engine running !! (This happened on my '98.)

I don't think I was getting a CEL at the time. I do not recall, if I was able to pull up a CTS code using a scanner ( I assume that I did, because I replaced the CTS, and the problem went away... Although it has reoccurred once since then. I am assuming it was a fluke, being that it was a cheap replacement from AutoZone.)

I hope this helps. Please let us know what you find.

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: