2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 dodge neon budget upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: 2000 dodge neon budget upgrades Reply with quote

Hi guys been here for a bit but never posted.
I have a questions thou
I wanna install pn# 4656855aa and pn#5085656aa
It's the acr front sway
And the pt gt rear sway
I'm wondering what I need to get sway bar link wise.I imagine I wouldn't use just standard neon replacement. And help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I have looked around on the forums but not finding a distinct answer. My only other question is the widest 14 in and 15 in tires I can run.
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model/year/trim do you have?

For installing the sway bars, you will need to be sure that your rear struts are capable of this. they have the mounting tabs welded to the strut, so if your car did not come with a rear sway bar and you have not upgraded your struts, more than likely, you will not have the mounting tab.

Standard mounting hardware should work fine, altho poly upgrades would only help solidify the feel of the new bars.

I would also think about lowering the car with the new sways, with this it will improve your handling more.

many ways of doing this as well.

Spring/strut: costs a bit and most will say that you should save the few more dollars and upgrade to coliovers.

coilovers: getting much cheaper, so far i have heard good things on the raceland coilovers for their price. and the bc coils are about 900 iirc

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt Sold
2014 Durango R/T Hemi (the wife's)
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 Plymouth neon no trim information on the care other than some 2000 gtx vinyl .
It does have a rear sway bar. We were underneath it measuring for exhuast, I'm getting rid of the cat tonight. Putting in the o2 defouler. I was thinking there might be a way to check trim level with the vin. I'm not really a fan of the cat, I'm sure it would look great. However unfortunately the area I live in has alot of fluctuations in the road surface and level.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim refers to the trim level: SE, ES, base, etc. I don't think a PT rear sway will fit a neon. The rear PT suspension is totally different.

Edited: Seat? how the heck did that get in there?

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!

Last edited by occasional demons on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that's r/t rear not pt crusier.
Still not sure on trim level.
2.0 dohc not the magnum
5 speed manual
4 door
14 in wheel
Front disc rear drum
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably ES or SE. ES is one grade above base, tho not sure what a base doesn't have that an ES doesn't. I guess possibly no A/C. Because A/C was about the only extra my '01 had. I believe about all '00 to '02 neons had a rear sway. In '03, Daimler really began to decontent the cars.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: It's done Reply with quote

So it's done. SRT 4 struts with ebiach lowering springs. I had them also install the SRT sway bars. The ride quality has changed tremendously. Also I did have a rear sway bar like I said and it has AC. I'm still not sure what trim level I have. I'm haven't quite decided the next step for the car. All the basics for maintenance has been done. Gates timing belt, NGK plugs and wires, and msd coil pack. I haven't really done anything for the air intake. Not sure what I wanna do with it.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory air intake is fine as is. Unless you are primarily going for looks/more room in the engine bay, there aren't too many CAI's that are going to make anymore power than the factory air box.

You may get a more aggressive sound from an aftermarket intake, but with the stock throttle body, you aren't going to move anymore air into the engine.

If you spent the cash for a big name brand CAI, you will get 10 x more power by spending that amount on/towards a Magnum/DOHC head swap. A UDP will free up more power than any CAI will add.

When you have the IM mounted behind a huge radiator heating it up, any "cooling" effect the intake tube has over the air box is pretty much cancelled out.

I installed a remote thermometer in my stock air box before I went with my ghetto blaster IM, and the temps inside the air box were no higher than the ambient air temps outside the car. So a so called cold air intake isn't going to lower the intake charge temps a whole lot.

And for a 2000, the trim level isn't that important. They all came with the same 2.0 either mated to an ATX or an MTX. It is more of how well equipped the interior is, since that is the only real difference between trim levels for the 2000 model year.

The R/T wasn't an option for 2000, and the SRT wasn't sold until the 2003 model year.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a corrective alignment this morning, the inner tie rods needed to be replaced did outter when I got lowered. I know I'm gonna need to change out the steering rack researching which one I can go with as an upgrade.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you consider an upgrade.

IMHO, the regular neon rack is the best one. It is 16:1 ratio. The R/T and SRT racks were dumbed down to the 18:1 ratio, so the steering input was slower. (Less chance of over correcting at speed)

1gn and Shadow racks won't work without modding the crossmember. If you get the correct Shadow rack, you can have the 14:1 ratio.

Just watch which 2gn neon rack you replace it with, as the ATX and MTX racks use different inner tie rods and steering stops. They can be swapped, but you will need to replace the bellows clamps if you are not extremely careful in removing them. (They are not meant to be re used as you may already know)

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone local to me is selling a brand new shadow rack. What type of moddifing the the cross member would I need to do.
Seraph
Step in to the dark
n00b

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I looked in to the modification to use the one out of a shadow. Sounds like a lot of bs for not much gains. I'm gonna pass lol. I don't know what to do next. I like the idea of interchangeable Mopar parts from different cars for cheap gains.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want really quick steering and have nerves of steel in a panic situation, the 14:1 rack isn't for most.

This was my contribution, if you already read it then disregard.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=58301

It isn't super complicated, but unless you have a welder, and can weld, and a spare crossmember to play with, it is out of the realm of a bolt on mod.

Like I said, the regular old SE/SXT rack is the best option for the trouble/cost.

Here is some info concerning MTX vs. ATX racks: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=59386

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Brakes All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: