2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2005 dodge neon sxt running a little hot!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prostho
DDS
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: 2005 dodge neon sxt running a little hot! Reply with quote

Hello,
I did a timing belt, water pump tensioners., cam and crank shat seal change a day ago. Had the car running for about 30 to 45 minutes and saw the temperature gauge rise a little more than normal. Is there a break in period for these parts, so that the temperature gauge go back to normal? Remembering back 6 months ago I did a Radiator, thermostat, radiator cap replacement. System was flushed and burped. Then the temp went up a little but after a while or so the temp. was normal. Would this be happening again or could a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor. Be causing the gauge to go up by not telling the fans to come on at the required time, causing the coolant temp to go up? Is it 1 or 2. Or both. Need your expert feedback on this.

Please help.
Thanks,
Prostho
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime you drain the coolant, there is air that gets trapped in the system. The best way is to get a big funnel, Like this one from Lisle:

That way you can run it without the cap on, fill it to halfway, and let the air bleed out completely, on the first start up. then once you are sure all the air has bubbled out, shut the car off and let it cool before removing the funnel. Make sure there is coolant in the funnel to be drawn into the system as it cools.

Otherwise you have to hope the coolant recovery tank and thermal expansion/contraction takes care of it sooner than later.

The other method is to take a bad radiator cap (one that seals at the filler neck), and remove the lower rubber seal, and run the overflow hose into a gallon jug with coolant in it. The air will be forced out the hose, and when you shut it off, it will draw coolant back in as it cools.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
prostho
DDS
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sirs for the advice.
NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Anytime you drain the coolant, there is air that gets trapped in the system. The best way is to get a big funnel, Like this one from Lisle:

This looks like a very good idea.
Perhaps I should add this, to my already large collection of funnels. Smile Too much stuff in my garage already !!! Very Happy

- Nick
-2001 Ddg. ES with ATX = UDP and Magnum header...Syked PCM 'pending'.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: