2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

02 R/T Wanting to reach around 200 whp 185 tq

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwik rt
qkuwik
Fresh Fish

2002 Dodge Neon R/T
ICQ Status:

Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: 02 R/T Wanting to reach around 200 whp 185 tq Reply with quote

I own a 2002 neon rt. One owner. Its just broke 150,000 miles. I am looking to spend 2,000 or a little more on her and am asking for any advice on the best and cheapest or easiest ways to gain power and also reliability. I want to first do some good maintenance and her to ensure she runs to over 300,000. I was thinking maybe an engine rebuild kit. Maybe new belts, hoses, fluids flushed and.changed... maybe a few things to help with cooling? Maybe Switching to synthetic idk? Change a few gaskets, hg and so on.. And for hopefully cheap but good upgrades; underdrive pulley, spark plugs and wires, of course intake and long tube header/ exhaust, 60mm tb maybe spacer? Maybe a little better fuel injectors, pump? After that even though im surely forgetting cheaper stuff, better cam as ive heard thats one good way to go as well. Anyhow that's kinda what I'm thinking... Hoping someone might know some things about the engine that might help, for instance on my old subaru it had a very restrictive down pipe so that was a first on the list to change. Are there any restrictive things on the magnum emgine that should be changed first? Areas the engine lacks? Upgrades that will make her run and feel better as opposed to restrictive stocks parts that were put on for cost efficiency or whatever it may be??? Thanks in advance for any opinons, knowledge and advice$!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JeremyJ
Facebook Sucks
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't going to hit 200 wheel horsepower without spending a shitload of money and losing a bit of daily driveabililty. Massively ported head, huge cam, longtube header, custom intake manifold, high compression, custom computer or tune, fuel system, etc. Only a few people have done it and it takes a lot of work and money. For a fraction of that price, you could drop in an SRT setup and get about 250 horses right out of the box.

With 150K on it, you should check your rod bearings and compression before worrying about adding power. If you haven't already changed your timing belt, tensioner, and water pump, stop driving it and change them immediately. Synthetic oil can be used at any point. It can sometimes expose an already weak seal, but it won't hurt anything.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

Haganracing
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not worth the money for 200whp na.

But it's your money.

occasional demons wrote:
So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. Think
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UDP and 2002 R/T pcm do not get along. You will get a false misfire code and flashing CEL. I ended up taking my UDP off and selling it to Adam. Putting in a fresh o2 sensor actually gave me better throttle response than the UDP ever did. (60mm TB)

It got to where it was flashing the CEL at anything over 4000 RPM. I even modded the fuel level signal to show the PCM that the tank was very low to turn off the misfire monitor.

That worked to keep the flashing CEL away, but as soon as the car was started again the next day, it would turn on the CEL and give a misfire code.

I agree with the other posts, you will have a tough time hitting the magical 200 hp mark with an N/A 2.0.

Boost is the far more reasonable way to go about it. Unless you want a monster to deal with everyday, and have lots of $$$$, then have at it.

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I had an UDP on my Magnum 2.0 with no issues, but one thing I did also change was my timing belt to a GatorBack Blue. I noticed when I was revving my RT engine to 7000rpm(modded pcm) the timing belt using a Mopar replacement or an aftermarket black belt replacement the belt actually started deflecting at high rpm. I tightened the tensioner a little bit more than the recommended settings and I physically seen the belt start to stretch out like it was a worn belt causing my misfire CEL to trigger also.
Once I changed out to the GatorBack blue belt and set the tensioner a hair tighter than recommended I never had the CEL ever again and watching the belt physically I never seen it move or stretch like the black belt did.
Now this is my two cents and experience, this may not happen to everyones vehicle....
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really odd, BRR. I never had an issue with any of my timing belts stretching at 7600 on my 1gns.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was told the same thing years ago in my progress log. I literally watched my timing belt stretch side to side at high rpms and then the CEL would trigger. Once I installed the Gator back blue I did not physically see any side to side deflection and I never threw a CEL after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Naturally Aspirated All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: