2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust -Greddy Ti-C, HKS Hi-Power, or Greddy Spectrum Elite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Exhaust -Greddy Ti-C, HKS Hi-Power, or Greddy Spectrum Elite Reply with quote

'04 SXT. 2.0l SOHC manual. (FOR THIS MOD I WILL ALSO BE BUYING A CATBACK SETUP TO RUN UP TO THE MUFFLER)

Hey guys, its been a while but ive dug around in the forums for a bit and there a few muffler/exhaust threads, but honestly i can't seem to find something that compares single exit setups on the 2.0. So, im going to my local muffler shop to have them fab me a catback setup and im shopping for mufflers. I have 3 in mind, as listed above. I have some questions, first about size, and how big is too big for the actual cylinder(Not just the tip) and lastly, do i have to worry about the inlet/outlet if im having them fabricate my cat-back? Sound is all i care about, i know there are no HP gains. I want a tuner low sound, tight, but low. Ive watched similar motored cars with most of these mufflers and i am liking the greddy sound more, though it does seem loud, but i dont mind.

Fact: I have a CAI, but no new header, sorry boys.

Will any of these fit my car? Will i have to do a significant amount of work to make one of these good models fit?

One of my major questions is, is buying a Universal version of one of these high performance mufflers going to fit under my bumper? If so what size would i need. I have no rolls or anything, it's jjust the stock sxt bumber. (though im open to get my bumper heat-rolled to get the right fit

Another major questions is, will the little 135 hp motor push enough exhaust through these things to make it still give a good sound as long as it's a full cat-back setup and not just the muffler?

If any of you are so inclined, it would be wonderful to know what sizes i need for the Inlet/Outlet, and if they are piping it for me, they could probably just make the pipe fit the muffler either way? I know this is complicated but any help would be so rad. Thanks again.
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go any bigger than 2.5" for the exhaust. A three-inch setup will just add a bunch of dead weight and probably rob you of some bottom end torque. 2.5" is plenty big for a naturally aspirated four cylinder.

As for the mufflers, I have no idea. None of those are designed to fit your car properly. They're all meant to be aimed straight out and your car is intended to have a muffler mounted at 90 degrees. If you pick the shortest one, it might stuff under there without sticking out a ridiculous amount. Maybe.

Project Log: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=70076

kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions for mufflers? I feel like everything but the straight can looks kind of stupid. Isn't the placement of it dependant on the piping anyway? If they are doing the exhaust pipe from the cat all new wouldn't they be able to just shorten it and fit it under there? Thanks
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 inch didn't kill my torque that much. Didn't add much horse power either. But you can feel it.
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akirony, what muffler did you put on the end of your 3'' setup? Did you puut a straight can or a 90 tilt?
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither haha. I have a 3-inch side exit, no cat, or muffler. Got it from a friend for free and haven't turned back. It sounds good without a muffler ad long as it's side exit I think. The more piping you get the more rasp you accumulate because it's hitting more bends and bouncing off more metal. You miss the rears after awhile.
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i can't really do no muffler, it would be super loud and I live in a kind of conservative area, thanks for your input though man! I dont know if 3'' will be the way i go, sounds like extra weight, and i have hardly any mods to make that much room necessary lol! Anyone else have some advice on how to avoid a curved setup and go straight can.
akirony
2GN Registrant

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man I totally agree. It's not worth it honestly. It weights a ton but I win daily Rev matches with every Nissan at my job lol. I put it on merely to be loud because it sounded good and it does sound good. My neighbors have an M/C so they're louder than me. But the setup I had before was srt rear with two 24in Flowmaster in the tunnel. Sounded like the R/T stock but smoother.
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the style most commonly used on Neons. Single inlet, dual outlet. There are many types of mufflers that have this type of inlet/outlet setup. The one pictured is made by Thermal R&D.

BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have posted, thee are various makes/models/styles..etc....
The first thing I would search for is the sound you are looking for. I wanted a deep rumbly tone for my V6 Avenger and Mangaflow would have been the best choice to get in my case. FlowMaster has a HushPower2 inline muffler that looks kind of like a glass pack but it won't blow out like one.
There are many members here who have tried this or tried that on there vehicles and it's mostly about preference and $$$. My 02 R/T had a Flowmaster single in dual out Camaro style muffler on it and I loved it but it got really Raspy in the high revs.
Also pipe diameter, on a N/A 2.0 do not go larger than a 2 1/2 inch pipe. A 3" pipe is OVERKILL and as mentioned above it will not benefit you in any way.
The best thing I can suggest is Google video clips of your vehicle for different exhaust sounds if that what you are looking for. Once you found the sound you want then search on what manufacturer it is and price it from there. There a few aftermarket systems on the market that sound just like high end expensive systems at a fraction of the price.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of fart cans have been installed sticking straight out the back.

You are usually going to be on the louder side, because there is less distance available to dampen the sound. Whether or not you have a catalytic converter makes a huge difference in sound level.

The engineers used the transverse design to give them some distance (area) to absorb the sound into the muffler packing.

It is difficult to get a decent sound, with limited sound absorption/noise cancelling area without the catalytic converter, at least not without spending $$$.

A Vibrant ultra quiet resonator will help nicely with rasp, but those are $100 alone, and don't fit in the exhaust tunnel too well.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=45190

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
JeremyJ
2gn 4 Life
2GN Registrant

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Flowmaster single inlet, dual outlet on my old '02 and it was raspy as hell. It had a Pacesetter header and no cat. It was so loud that I got pulled over for it. I added a simple Vibrant resonator and it helped calm it down a bit. The car was still really loud when accelerating, though.

N/A Neons don't make the greatest sounds without a good muffler. I've been looking into Magnaflow mufflers lately to replace my stock R/T muffler and they sound pretty darn good, even on the 2.0.

occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the Vibrant "Ultra Quiet" isn't really quiet at all, but tit does a very nice job of cleaning up the overall sound. It still needs a decent muffler to make it legal in terms of Db output. Or a turbo...

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input guys! the dual exit just looks a little silly to me, i do understand that it has a clean look though. The fart can isn't the reason im wanting a single exit, but i understand how you feel. My local muffler shop said they would fab me a cat/back and resonator and fit it to a straight can out the back. at this point i need to know of a can that isn't too shitty loud, and glass-pack sounding. I need a setup that sounds low and tight, like the type of cans a G37 would have or something. Im looking at the Greddy Universal 2.5'' Can. Has anyone had any experience with it? Let me know. Smile
kj21
2GN Registrant

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking at universal 2.5'' universal greddy and HKS mufflers atm i'll let you guys know what i do, and i'll post pics!
blueneo03
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rocked a fart can on the back of a stock exhaust for years. its not too bad and there is plenty of room to put it on there if your muffler shop doesnt suck.

There is plenty of exhaust setups on Ebay that are single exit and stainless. why not go with one of those instead of having the shop make you one?

Muffler-Tip-Catback

I'm currently using the stock exhaust with a muffler like this, got it from autozone for 30$ welded it up myself and added an SRT tip for a single out stock location muffler. louder than stock but not ricer obnoxious.

║Mod Edit for link║

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #61

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxt
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to avoid the transverse set up, and go straight back from the rear crossmember, you could always get a 2.5" trubenz stainless set up, and use something like This.

This was my experience with Trubenz. It is still rust free to this day.

If you elect to go that route, make sure you call them and let them know it needs to attach to a cat, if applicable, otherwise the midpipe will be made for an LTH.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=42639

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Engine All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: