2GN.ORG 2GN.ORG
The best source for the Second Generation Neon - Period.

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   RulesBoard Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks  :: Register
 ProfileProfile   GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random posting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 466, 467, 468 ... 470, 471, 472  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13981   PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
Here's my rant!
Some people have mentioned that I was removed as a moderator because I was to cocky and thought my shit doesn't stink. The truth is I stepped down because I was working crazy hours at almost 70hrs a week years ago. I could not handle covering my topics that I was assigned because of my work schedule, family life,side jobs..etc....I was too overwhelmed working and trying to help moderate the forums.
So to those that think I was removed as a moderator because I was thinking I was all high and mighty, NO I stepped down because the work was too over whelming to cover everything I was dealing with at the time......

There's my rant.....

Ok, now back to the good things....lol

Why care what other people think? Way to go and fire something up that hasn't been posted about on this forum in years.

If you want, you can post the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You were allowed to step down with grace, and only a handful of people know the actual truth. That truth will never be spoken by me.
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13982   PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Probably due to the low volume this forum gets. I donated money like 3 or so years ago to this site and have not received my "Platinum contributor" thingy status under my username. Lol

I think that is an Administrative power. At least at Moderator status, I don't have that option.

I also cannot edit anything in the FAQ sections.

It's a full admin level task. I have that power on 1GN, but not here.
Forum Behavior
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #13983   PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:
It's a full admin level task. I have that power on 1GN, but not here.

Why so many "power levels" for one forum Confused

1952 Chevrolet Stylene Sport Coupe
2005 Dodge SRT-4
racer12306
10th Grader
Junior Admin

2004 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13984   PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theColonel wrote:
Why so many "power levels" for one forum Confused

It's the way that phpBB has things broken down. In the forums prime, it definitely made sense, probably not so much now. After he was burned, Jason didn't make anyone else have the power that he does, and I don't blame him for that.
Forum Behavior
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!
2009 Platinum Contributor

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #13985   PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete please

Last edited by BlackRoseRacing on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
INVUJerry
UNO MOD!
2GN Registrant

2005 Dodge

Post: #13986   PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racer12306 wrote:

Why care what other people think? Way to go and fire something up that hasn't been posted about on this forum in years.

If you want, you can post the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You were allowed to step down with grace, and only a handful of people know the actual truth. That truth will never be spoken by me.

Bolded for emphasis.

My 3.0 van spit out a spark plug today. Got lucky, fixed and driving again. Also pulled a shifter and shifter cables out of a Sundance at the junkyard yesterday. Those cars are rather comfortable to be in. I could see myself driving one eventually.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #13987   PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Wow that is a first hahaha! Looks like you had some old ass plugs in there. Change em all out? Or go Roadkill and just replace one haha

2005 Neon SRT-4 #6 and WILL STAY
2008 TL Type S
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #13988   PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autolite's yeah, I'd get rid of them....
I hate to admit it, but I think Champions are better...lol
I would get some NGK coppers and throw them in and go from there.... Rock ON
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post: #13989   PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned a valuable lesson Saturday- remember to tell the Express Lane personnel at a dealership not to "top off" the windshield washer fluid when having an oil change. When I returned home, I discovered my washer bottle full of fluid that I will need to drain before I can use my Stage 2 intercooler sprayers this year. cussing

Oh, when "topping off" fluids, they missed the power brake reservoir (you have to remove the strut tower brace and move the Stage 2 wiring harness aside to get at it).
BlackRoseRacing
1st ever DD SC 2GN!

2002 Dodge Neon R/T

Post: #13990   PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad....
They asked me the same question about the fluid and I said "no" I'm ok. They also mentioned about a software update, I told them not to worry about that also. I did not tell them my software was modified and my pcm was tweaked...lol
But when I did get my vehicle back, i told them not to worry about the tires and the tech that did the 21point inspection stated the tires were at 7/32'nds....Uh they are at like 2-3/32nds. The tech stated the wipers were ok, the driver side is ready to fall off....
Everything else checked out ok, Uh the drivers side rear wheel has horrible negative Camber and its wearing the inside of the tire where the chords are ripping through.The passenger side rear caliper is hanging causing a squeaking noise and premature wear on the brake pads....
I hate to say, I've been to my closest dealerships that I can work with knowing whats failing or defective on my vehicles and it seems to be the majority just don't care anymore as the techs don't get payed to diagnose anymore.....
And the dealerships really hate it when I walk in knowing more than there technicians....
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #13991   PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
I hate to say, I've been to my closest dealerships that I can work with knowing what's failing or defective on my vehicles and it seems to be the majority just don't care anymore as the techs don't get paid to diagnose anymore.....

And the dealerships really hate it when I walk in knowing more than their technicians....

laughing3 laughing3 laughing3 laughing3

2005 Dodge SRT-4
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #13992   PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
I discovered my washer bottle full of fluid that I will need to drain before I can use my Stage 2 intercooler sprayers this year. cussing

Oh, when "topping off" fluids, they missed the power brake reservoir (you have to remove the strut tower brace and move the Stage 2 wiring harness aside to get at it).

Draining it is easy, just reach under there, and pull the rubber hose off, and let it run onto the ground, or a container if you don't want a semi flammable puddle in your drive. Yes, it will catch on fire if ignited...

Did you really expect them to go to the effort of removing the STB, and the wiring, to top off the brake reservoir? Do you trust them to get it back correctly? Shocked

Besides, you shouldn't add brake fluid, as all the extra will just run back out the top when they squeeze the calipers come brake pad replacement time. Nothing like brake fluid all over the paint...

Of course getting them to flush the fluid before replacing the pads, and topping it off after the new pads are installed and seated, may be a bit of a stretch. Laughing

2001 neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #13993   PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Draining it is easy, just reach under there, and pull the rubber hose off, and let it run onto the ground, or a container if you don't want a semi flammable puddle in your drive. Yes, it will catch on fire if ignited...

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I had planned to just run the WW pump until the reservoir was emptied.
occasional demons wrote:
Did you really expect them to go to the effort of removing the STB, and the wiring, to top off the brake reservoir? Do you trust them to get it back correctly? Shocked

No. Actually, I didn't want them to do anything under the hood other than the oil change. They already had a problem with my bringing my own oil. Rolling Eyes Considering that I've had every oil change on this car in my 11 years of ownership done at this dealer (except for one at CVM Dodge in Mechanicsburg, PA one year on my way back home from Carlisle), you'd think that they would be able to handle it. Mobil 1 comes in 5 quart jugs and the service writer told me that the tech had just contacted FCA and was told that turbo's require 5 quarts (ignoring the DaimlerChrysler owner's manual in the glove box which states that 4.5 quarts are needed when changing oil and using a new filter). I then repeated what I had told her on the service drive: save the half quart for me to take home (I add the half quarts to an empty 5 quart jug until it is full and then take it for an oil change).
occasional demons wrote:
Besides, you shouldn't add brake fluid, as all the extra will just run back out the top when they squeeze the calipers come brake pad replacement time. Nothing like brake fluid all over the paint...

I know- I was exagerrating to make a point.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #13994   PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:
I add the half quarts to an empty 5 quart jug until it is full and then take it for an oil change.

I used add them to keep from having too many jugs sitting around, and used it up between oil changes in the '01. :/

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #13995   PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight_Rider wrote:

Mobil 1 comes in 5 quart jugs and the service writer told me that the tech had just contacted FCA and was told that turbo's require 5 quarts (ignoring the DaimlerChrysler owner's manual in the glove box which states that 4.5 quarts are needed when changing oil and using a new filter). I then repeated what I had told her on the service drive: save the half quart for me to take home (I add the half quarts to an empty 5 quart jug until it is full and then take it for an oil change).

Hmmm was always 5 qts when I changed mine with a new oil filter and I changed it multiple times myself. (04 Neon SRT-4)

Googled it and all over the internet says 5 quarts. Did even more digging and the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL says 5 quarts. http://www.carbide-red.com/service_manual/srt4_service_manual.pdf
Quote:

0-5

Engine Oil* - 1.6 L 4.3 L (4.5 qts.)
Engine Oil* - 2.0 L 4.3 L (4.5 qts.)
Engine Oil* - 2.4 L 4.8 L (5.0 qts.)
Cooling System** 6.2 L (6.5 qts.)
Automatic Transaxle -
Estimated Service Fill
3.8 L (4.0 qts.)
Automatic Transaxle -
Overhaul Fill Capacity
with Torque Converter
Empty
8.1 L (8.6 qts.)
Manual Transaxle - NV
T350
2.4-2.7 L (2.5-2.8 qts.)
Manual Transaxle - NV
T850***
2.3-2.5L (2.4-2.6 qts.)
*(includes new filter)
**(includes heater and recovery/reserve bottle)
***(includes 0.12 L (4 oz.) of MoparT Limited Slip
Additive (P/N 04318060AB))

So not sure why you are having them put 4.5 in there unless there is half of a quart left over that is still in your crankcase. The tech was correct.

2008 TL Type S
Midnight_Rider

Post: #13996   PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. I am wrong.
theColonel
Older 'n Dirt
2011 Silver Contributor

Post: #13997   PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Mobil 1 comes in 5 quart jugs and the service writer told me that the tech had just contacted FCA and was told that turbo's require 5 quarts (ignoring the DaimlerChrysler owner's manual in the glove box which states that 4.5 quarts are needed when changing oil and using a new filter). I then repeated what I had told her on the service drive: save the half quart for me to take home (I add the half quarts to an empty 5 quart jug until it is full and then take it for an oil change).

Hmmm was always 5 qts when I changed mine with a new oil filter and I changed it multiple times myself. (04 Neon SRT-4)

Googled it and all over the internet says 5 quarts. Did even more digging and the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL says 5 quarts. http://www.carbide-red.com/service_manual/srt4_service_manual.pdf
Quote:

0-5

Engine Oil* - 1.6 L 4.3 L (4.5 qts.)
Engine Oil* - 2.0 L 4.3 L (4.5 qts.)
Engine Oil* - 2.4 L 4.8 L (5.0 qts.)

So not sure why you are having them put 4.5 in there unless there is half of a quart left over that is still in your crankcase. The tech was correct.

He just liked to run 1/2 quart low Smile

2005 Dodge SRT-4
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Registrant

2004 Dodge SRT-4

Post: #13998   PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good gramps. Well it is better to run a tad bit low so you can top it off rather then it being over filled. I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago in my c6 and I overfilled it a tad. With that car you are supposed to check it when the oil temp is over 175 degrees on a flat surface. Did that and it was even closer to the fill mark. So its all good, was a bit worried because I can't evacuate oil from the dipstick tube using my fluid pump since there is an internal baffle that blocks off. Sad Plus I used some expensive oil too, Amsoil Euro formula

2008 TL Type S
jonnymopar
Yep, still drivin it

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #13999   PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr... radiator sprung a small leak. Here we go:

*buys radiator and associated accessories*
"Well, if I'm draining the coolant, I might as well just do the water pump and timing belt now. The car has 197k miles. I was going to do it in the spring anyway."
*buys timing belt, tensioner, water pump*
"I should probably do the cam and crank seals while I'm in there."
*buys cam and crank seals*
"Man, if I'm pulling the radiator, I'll have good clearance to finally fix that stupid broken headlight bolt."
*buys new headlight bolts*
"Ah crap, forgot to buy new accessory belts."
*buys accessory belts*

Sonofabitch, that $350 disappeared quick!

2003 Neon SXT
1989 Daytona ES 2.4L Turbo
Midnight_Rider

Post: #14000   PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like every trip I've made to a dealership in the past two years. I feel your pain.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14001   PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank seal will take some effort. Getting the timing gear off of the crank can be a small challenge. I was worried the 6mm screws weren't going to hold, as it took about as much effort as getting the accessory drive crank pulley off.

You also need the right tool to re install the timing gear to the correct depth.

I made my own from a piece of pipe I bored down the the spec depth so it would bottom on the crank, and used my home made damper installer for the rest of it...

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
jonnymopar
Yep, still drivin it

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #14002   PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work and don't have access to my FSM right now, but is the depth specified somewhere? Is it measured from the end of the crank snout? I don't remember doing anything special to get that gear back on 90k+ miles ago.

I'm more worried about getting the cam seal in there because there isn't much room to work. That's one thing that I planned on doing last time, but never did. Any tips on doing that in-car would be appreciated.

2003 Neon SXT
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14003   PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, I put the crank seal in the pump before I slid it onto the crank. Not the best thing to do, because it makes it tough to get the pump lined up properly on the crank.

You could probably make a different pusher to install the seal evenly, then the shorter one to press the sprocket back on. Or cut a piece of thick PVC tube to drive the seal in place. Schedule 80?

I believe there is a line around the snout that the sprocket just goes past, to where it needs to be. I guess as long as it isn't rubbing the seal, and keeps the belt tracking properly, that's all you really need.

The pic links are broken, but Jim describes it pretty well:

OhioHomesteader wrote:
Following is from another thread..

Putting the sprocket back on to the PROPER depth is the tricky part. DO NOT FORGET to put the key back in the crank and line it up with the keyslot in the sprocket. If you have access to a lathe or a good milling machine you can make the "pusher cup" from a piece of 1 1/2" diameter X 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long piece of steel stock. Bore a hole 1.197" to 1.200" in diameter and 1.042 deep - you should have a square corner at the bottom of the flat bore. Drill a 1/2" hole for bolt clearance. You will need a LONG bolt the same diameter and thread pitch as the pulley bolt. If you can't find a long bolt that is threaded the full length - you can use a piece of all-thread (grade 10.9 or better) to use as a forcing screw. You will need a high quality nut and a couple of washers to push against the pusher cup. Liberally coat all the threads and the washers with Never Seize to make the turning of the nut easier.

NOTE - you could make the pusher cup out of a piece of tubing. Just make sure the OD is smaller than the inner portion of the sprocket flange - and it is 1.042" long and absolutly square and the correct 1.042 length. (can't say that too many times) use a FLAT steel plate or thick hardened washer to push the cylinder you have made. The plate or washer will stop when it hits the crank, thus setting the proper depth.

Crank snout showing the key for the sprocket.

Crank sprocket showing the slot for the key in the crank.

[size=125]MAKE SURE the key is lined up with the keyway.[/size] It will go on a little when you push it by hand. Notice the orientation of the sprocket.

The Miller 6792 crank dampner and sprocket installer kit.

Inside view of the pusher cup.

The way it all lines up as you assemble it to do the job.

I run the long forcing screw (bolt) all the way in by hand and back it out 2 or 3 or 4 turns.

You will use a wrench to turn the nut and draw the pusher cup down on the sprocket. That will push the sprocket on. When the bottom of the cup hits the end of the crank snout, the sprocket is in the proper position. [size=125]HOLD THE FORCING SCREW WITH ANOTHER WRENCH ON THE HEX. DO NOT LET IT TURN IN THE CRANK. IT WILL BOTTOM OUT AND MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS.[/size]

I got lazy and did not grab another wrench out of the box.

Just turn the wrench till the cup stops moving...

Have fun and good luck.

JMG

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #14004   PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

occasional demons wrote:
Draining it is easy, just reach under there, and pull the rubber hose off...

According to the Service Manual, the only opening on the reservoir bottle is for the pump so there is no rubber hose. I then remembered that I have a spare SRT washer reservoir new in the plastic so I checked it and it has no holes for anything other than the pump. I bought a hand pump and some tubing and plan to drain it into a container for disposal. Thanks for the suggestion though.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14005   PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have been more specific, I was talking about the line that attaches to the pump and goes to the nozzles. There isn't anything about the pump that blocks the fluid from draining once that line is pulled off.

Foe example: If the tank was mounted on the roof, the nozzles would be constantly peeing until the tank drained.

You can also just pull the pump assy from the tank, and it will drain quickly, but might not be the most graceful method. The pump pulls from the grommet with a bit of effort. I have done that on my Jeep because the pump died, and I had to replace it. It is pretty simple.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Midnight_Rider

Post: #14006   PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get to that without getting under the car and I have no way to do that. I think that the manual pump will work fine.
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14007   PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you lowered you car... You could basically drive on to a 2x4 and lie on the ground to do it. But I guess you could get most of it out with a pump, or a vacuum line duct taped to a shop vac.

Well maybe a shop vac wouldn't be the best idea, since washer solvent is flammable. Probably wouldn't explode per say, but might make for an interesting afternoon/morning/evening/etc.

I would pull the hose, and put a silicone cap on the pump nipple, just for insurance that the hose doesn't eventually dry rot, and drain your tank.

But that wouldn't have to happen ASAP.

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14008   PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2gn.org is tracked by us since August, 2012. Over the time it has been ranked as high as 613 499 in the world, while most of its traffic comes from Russian Federation, where it reached as high as 722 987 position.

Shocked

Quote:
Traffic Analysis
It seems that the number of visitors and pageviews on this site is too low to be displayed, sorry.

Why me Why me

Quote:
Social Engagement
2gn.org has 0% of its total traffic coming from social networks (in last 3 months) and the most active engagement is detected in Facebook (185 shares)

Rolling Eyes

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
jonnymopar
Yep, still drivin it

2003 Dodge Neon SXT

Post: #14009   PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERIOUSLY, MOPAR??? SERIOUSLY?? Only Mopar would sell a fucking water pump that requires a gasket WITHOUT THE GASKET. It's now 9:30pm on a Saturday, and a $1.50 gasket is preventing me from putting my fucking engine back together. Furthermore, good luck finding one locally, because why the hell would anybody stock the gasket when it COMES WITH EVERY AFTERMARKET PUMP??

2003 Neon SXT
occasional demons
Mr One World

2001 Dodge Neon ES

Post: #14010   PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I think the Mopar SRT pump I bought from ebay came with.

Not to throw salt in the wound.... Embarassed

1999 neon 2.4 EDZ MTX
Help support 2GN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    2GN.ORG Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are UTC - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 466, 467, 468 ... 470, 471, 472  Next
Page 467 of 472

Jump to: